I noticed a number of threads in the Power Girl forum were touching on the topic of DC possibly introducing a new origin for her that streamline's her concept from the "Supergirl of a different universe" thing. I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to consolidate that discussion into one thread.
This has actually been attempted before, and for a while she was not Kryptonian at all but instead magic-based. It did not stick. In continuity, there have been (by my count) three different origins for PG:
- Earth-2 Supergirl and cousin to Superman
- Descendant of the Atlantean wizard Arion
- Clone of Supergirl (DC animated, named " Galatea," similar backstory to the new "Divine")
- Totally unchanged (survived all of Flashpoint and into nDCU unchanged)
- Alt. universe Supergirl, cousin of Superman
- Kryptonian, relative to Superman
- Kryptonian, unrelated to Superman
- Atlantean origin
- Magic origins (non-Atlantean)
- Clone of superman/supergirl
- Standalone character (powered)
- Standalone character (non-powered)
Just as a general reference, here are some "power origins" listed on the vine: human, alien, animal, mutant, cyborg, robot, radiation, god/eternal, other (usually demon or other magical being).
Personally, I'd like them to go with the galatea/divine/superboy origin where she was created as an experiment/weapon and gets placed on the UN-run JLI.