Follow

Power Girl

Character » Power Girl appears in 1703 issues.

Kara Zor-L is the older, wiser, and stronger counterpart of Supergirl from Earth 2 but resides on the Prime Earth.

Kara and val-zod in new earth 2 weekly

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope not. This throwing herself at any guy in front of her thing is new to the nu52 and annoying. Also, the guy's been a non-entity so far, and I'd hate to have her be used to get him over.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@achilles100:

i guess we'll have to wait and see how this plays out. personally i like the concept better than her casual fling with mr t. especially if it involves them bonding over lose like the picture implies

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@achilles100:

i guess we'll have to wait and see how this plays out. personally i like the concept better than her casual fling with mr t. especially if it involves them bonding over lose like the picture implies

To me the picture implies a standard type that you used to see in old pulp magazines, the heroine, (who exists in order to have someone for the male hero to rescue), clinging to the hero and weeping as the hero looks on stoically or impassively, striking a heroic pose.

And yeah, we'll see, but DC hasn't exactly inspired a lot of hope in me in the past few years. And they used to be about hope and optimism, and the idea that people could do anything. Not these days. I shall be presently surprised if PG is treated with anything resembling respect in this, and serves any other purpose than as rescue bait.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PowerGirlFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PowerGirlFan

@achilles100: PG is grieving over the death of her friend, not being rescued. Clinging to Val in this context does not imply that they are an item. Batman is holding his daughter's body while Kara and Val look on. Should be obvious.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@achilles100: PG is grieving over the death of her friend, not being rescued. Clinging to Val in this context does not imply that they are an item. Batman is holding his daughter's body while Kara and Val look on. Should be obvious.

agreed, though i wouldn't oppose puting kara and val together. val seems like an ideal contrast she could bounce off of

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By achilles100

It isn't obvious really---this is concept art, a teaser, one of those things DC likes to put out that usually has nothing whatsoever to do with the story. So whether Helena dies, gets a hangnail, or nothing at all happens to her is pretty much up for grabs as far as the public knows at this point.

That said, PG has for several years, (outside her solo title), been used as rescue/tear bait---see IC, where she was supposed to have a major role, only to see that role go to SuperBOY, while she spent the majority of the time being rescued and crying.

king1_icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@achilles100: i hope they do get together just to spite you.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@powergirlfan said:

It isn't obvious really---this is concept art, a teaser, one of those things DC likes to put out that usually has nothing whatsoever to do with the story. So whether Helena dies, gets a hangnail, or nothing at all happens to her is pretty much up for grabs as far as the public knows at this point.

That said, PG has for several years, (outside her solo title), been used as rescue/tear bait---see IC, where she was supposed to have a major role, only to see that role go to SuperBOY, while she spent the majority of the time being rescued and crying.

would you have liked it better if she would have died instead of Conner?

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@achilles100 said:

@powergirlfan said:

Why would she have to die? There are many other ways that story could have gone, many that probably would have been better.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By danhimself

@danhimself said:
    @achilles100 said:

@powergirlfan said:

Why would she have to die? There are many other ways that story could have gone, many that probably would have been better.

because that was Conner's role in the story...you're saying that her role was taken by Superboy but it really wasn't...Nightwing was the one who was originally supposed to die but they switched him out with Superboy....there were a lot of characters who didn't have a huge role in Infinite Crisis...it doesn't mean that some other character took their spotlight...it just means that they didn't have a big role

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@achilles100 said:

@danhimself said:
    @achilles100 said:

@powergirlfan said:

because that was Conner's role in the story...you're saying that her role was taken by Superboy but it really wasn't...Nightwing was the one who was originally supposed to die but they switched him out with Superboy....there were a lot of characters who didn't have a huge role in Infinite Crisis...it doesn't mean that some other character took their spotlight...it just means that they didn't have a big role

Which might have worked if Didio and Johns hadn't built up PG's role for the story by saying it was one of the critical roles in the entire thing. Which turned out to be as I said, meant she cried a lot, got beaten up a lot, and even let the Martian Manhunter stop her from saving her cousin, or at least trying to.

Not very PG behavior. She would have cut J'ohn a new one with her heat vision to follow along.

And, as I said, while Nightwing was originally scheduled to get the chop, (to satisfy Didio's hatred for the character), neither one needed to die. Or if they really had to in the minds of the creators, it still doesn't explain why PG was such a crying spectator for the entire story. Even Wonder Girl did more, or at least tried to.

This is actually a staple of Johns' writing of Power Girl; he tends to present her as whiny, crying, and ineffectual, often needing rescue. This probably stems from his attitude toward the character as expressed in the old DCU message boards.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kidstandout

according to a interview with tom taylor at newsrama, writer of e2 and e2 worlds end, kara and val know might know each other from krypton

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

called it

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=23918

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidstandout: Yep, you did, and I must say 'Lil PG is cute. And I like that they're finally giving a little bit of Kryptonian backstory, something they've never done before, even if it seems they've altered her established Krypton cannon a bit, and even though she's rather a bit older that we all thought. Now to see if the rest of this issue, (the regular Earth 2 title out this week), lives up to the beginning.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidstandout: Yep, you did, and I must say 'Lil PG is cute. And I like that they're finally giving a little bit of Kryptonian backstory, something they've never done before, even if it seems they've altered her established Krypton cannon a bit, and even though she's rather a bit older that we all thought. Now to see if the rest of this issue, (the regular Earth 2 title out this week), lives up to the beginning.

agreed, she was adorable. such a shame i can't see that in the turd version levitz wrote in worlds finest

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.