Follow

Power Girl

Character » Power Girl appears in 1721 issues.

Kara Zor-L is the older, wiser, and stronger counterpart of Supergirl from Earth 2 but resides on the Prime Earth.

Hypothesis: 'Power Girl No More'

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

Edited By sora_thekey

Here's where I tell you what I think will happen in... well comics!

Kara Zor-L, better known as Power Girl, is one of the most popular DC characters in comic books. Whether it is her strength as a female protagonist or the fact that she has large breasts, Power Girl has been a character who can hold her own series, rouges gallery and fans. The question is, what will be of her after September's DC Comics Revamp?

Power Girl #27
    Power Girl #27

Recap: Power Girl is a Kryptonian, Crisis on Infinite Earths survivor from Earth-Two. As the alternate version of Supergirl she is distinctive because of her... physical appearance. She goes by Karen Starr and is a member of the Justice Society of America.

No Caption Provided

Facts: After the recent announcement that all 52 ongoing DC Titles would cease publishing to make way for new "First Issues" many asked what would happen to Power Girl. Periodically, DC Comics released a list of new number one issues and none of the 52 new titles showcased Power Girl. Sara 'Babs' Lima interviewedBob Harras and Eddie Berganza and touched upon this topic:

CV: Will we be seeing Power Girl in the future?

Bob: Yeah, she'll be around.

CV: But not in her own title?

Bob: No, she won't have her own #1 title, but Karen Starr will appear in one of the 52 titles.

Is it strange that Bob Harras refereed to her as Karen Starr and not Power Girl?

After reading that Harras refer to Kara Zor-L as Karen Starr I got to thinking. When the DC Comics Revamp happens will Power Girl survive? She is an alternate dimension's Supergirl. The revamp is also ignoring another popular alternate universe title: Batman Beyond. Maybe DC Comics is holding off on alternate versions of their mainstream characters.

Hypothesis: Karen Starr is a computer programmer when she is not saving the world with her Kryptonian abilities. I am guessing that in this new DC re-telling, Karen's powers will be stripped or repressed until later on. For now we just need to keep our eyes peeled for where this computer programmer will appear.

If my hypothesis turns out to be true I am sure many Power Girl fans will be disappointed but I doubt DC will put one of their most popular characters in the back seat for too long. Is it a bit far fetched that this will happen?

-- Geo (sora_thekey) 24/7 geek! -- Follow me on Twitter:@sora_thekey

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DEGRAAF

or maybe Karren Starr will be Kara's new cover
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By sora_thekey

@DEGRAAF said:

I didn't think of that... Good one!

Blurred View

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 353

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Blurred View

I love Power Girl, but I'm surprised to hear that she's going to be around after the relaunch. Her continuity-heavy origin is exactly the kind of thing you wouldn't want in your revamped universe. So I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see some major alterations to the character and see her in a role like being a supporting cast member in Supergirl's book.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Kal'smahboi
    @Blurred View said:
    I love Power Girl, but I'm surprised to hear that she's going to be around after the relaunch. Her continuity-heavy origin is exactly the kind of thing you wouldn't want in your revamped universe.
    These are exactly my thoughts. She's basically the leftover Supergirl from the Golden Age. That was three reboots ago.
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sora_thekey

@Blurred View: I like that idea also. There's a chance Karen Starr is a supporting cast for the Supergirl book.

xkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By xkoenig
    @sora_thekey: good summary, and I like your hypothesis. Any reason for the choice of computer programmer? Do you think that will be her role? I totally agree, I think she will be depowered, but hey, maybe she will gain abilities somehow!
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sora_thekey

@xkoenig: When Power Girl tookon the Karen Starr name she became a Computer Programer. She doesn't have to do the same thing but that's what Starr does.

Krakoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 215

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Krakoa

Great post! At least she'll be around in some capacity. Some of us are still waiting for other characters. cough cough Billy Batson, to get some kind of acknowledgement from DC's top brass. 

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By azza04

I'm thinking that Karen Starr might be a human who gains Kryptonian powers in a manner similar to how Ms. Marvel got hers.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @sora_thekey
    i wouldnt mind seeing Karen Starr as a supporting role character with out powers in the supergirl book. Maybe she could be the first person really befriends. I just keep thinking that with this new DCU they are trying to rebuild and refine and what would be a better way to refine then to role two of the same characters in to one new character, showing a mix of both. I always liked Supergirl but i always thought she was almost too playful and nieve. Powergirl on the other hand i thought was too serious and mission driven. I think roling the characters in to one would be good for both of them. 

@azza04 said:

I'm thinking that Karen Starr might be a human who gains Kryptonian powers in a manner similar to how Ms. Marvel got hers.

Thats would be interesting
    MydLyfeCrysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MydLyfeCrysis

I do remember DC (can't remember just who right now) said that Power Girl will be appearing in one of the 52. But which book and to what capacity, we have no idea just yet. I agree that DC would be silly to put her in the void for too long.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @MydLyfeCrysis
    is it the interview in the OP
    tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By tonis

Despite the fact they like to mess with her, hell they made her Atlantean after crisis, I think she'll get through this and maintain her identity. (eventually)

She's a rare character in the DCU who has managed to keep things connected across the reboots, they can't or at least shouldn't ignore that.

Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@DEGRAAF said:
    That.....could happen!
    Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

She might be changed, but her Earth 2 origins won't be. I bet.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16  Edited By lorex

Power Girl is a favorite of mine and I for one hope she doesn't disappear or become a supporting character for Supergirl. She has a long and well established history and is a too big name in her own right to be relegated to the sidelines.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By BatteredArmor

Just cause they said Karen Starr doesnt mean she wont be Power Girl we may be overreacting they might change her origions though

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By PowerHerc

@lorex said:

Power Girl is a favorite of mine and I for one hope she doesn't disappear or become a supporting character for Supergirl. She has a long and well established history and is a too big name in her own right to be relegated to the sidelines.

Damn right.

She's better than Supergirl will ever be and deserves to stay around.

Selvokaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Selvokaz

someone mentioned that she might appear in the new mr terrific title, supposedly because the writer mention something to the effect of "A character that everyone wondered if they would appear in the nuDCU will be in the first issue."
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PrinceIMC

I could see her being Mr. Terrific's back-up they might just have to adapt her history again. I'm assuming that the 52 multiverse will still exist so they could still just have her being an alternate reality version of Supergirl who is getting her own book correct?

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Press Oblivion

Power Girl and Terrific would make a great team.

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By achilles100

Good God, is that Karen Starr on the cover of Voodoo #2?!?!  Holding a GUN at Voodoo's head?!?!  It looks very, very much like her, right down to the color scheme of Power Girl's clothes, but why would she need a gun, as either Karen Starr or as Power Girl, unless she has no powers?!?

Now the artist IS Sami Basri, and maybe he's just drawing a busty blond who happens to look just like PG as Karen....but still....

Not liking that idea.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.