Has Power Girl lost Popularity?

• 57 results
#51 Posted by Primebonnick (2170 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely, but then, the majority of DC's characters have. The essence of the character has been lost, replaced with the hollow bare bones of her previous continuity. She's still related to Superman, but it's a Superman we have no connection to, who dies in the very issue he's introduced. She's still friends with the Huntress, but that relationship was largely unknown to the modern fan base, as that particular Huntress hadn't been seen in 25 years. The Justice Society of America, the team which defined her, no longer exists. All of her relationships with the super hero community are gone. No aspect of her previous continuity is relevant any longer. So, we're left with a character who made her non-costumed debut in the Mr. Terrific series, as the title character's sex buddy. Since virtually no one was reading Mr. Terrific, a title which, by all accounts was just terrible, her debut goes, largely, unnoticed. The character generated some buzz when the World's Finest title was announced, but that was fueled by a desire to see the fan favorite Power Girl make her debut in the "new" 52. That didn't happen, as that Power Girl didn't actually come back. Instead DC offered up a Power Girl who carried the trappings of the original in her make-up, but none of the heart. Each subsequent appearance merely serves as a reminder to the fan base that this character isn't Power Girl, and thus there's no support for her.

this basically sums it up. I still have love for her though i hope she gets a great writer and lets her start interacting with the rest of the new 52 to get back her appeal.

#52 Posted by achilles100 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesn't help that she's so isolated in WF. Supergirl's in virtually every title DC puts out these days, but Power Girl can barely buy an appearance or two in Suicide Squad.

She should also be in one of the League titles, preferably the main one. And personally, I'd prefer a solo to WF, with someone like Simone writing.

#53 Posted by JetiiMitra (8628 posts) - - Show Bio

Power Girl was popular?

#54 Posted by achilles100 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I'd say she was about as popular as Supergirl. She may still be. That is, among fans who read DC comics, not the people who put them out, who give a LOT of Supergirl, but very little Power Girl, especially these days.

Among the general public of course, she essentially not known at all, since apart from a few references in the odd TV show or so, plus a couple of games and one DVD, she's never been in any other media. And of course, she doesn't normally sport the "S" logo, and these days among TPTB at DC isn't really considered as being one of the Superman Family, though of course she technically most certainly is.

#55 Edited by RDClip (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesn't help that she's so isolated in WF. Supergirl's in virtually every title DC puts out these days, but Power Girl can barely buy an appearance or two in Suicide Squad.

She should also be in one of the League titles, preferably the main one. And personally, I'd prefer a solo to WF, with someone like Simone writing.

For what it's worth, WF is doing a crossover with Superman and Batman in a few months. Hopefully that is an attempt to introduce PeeGee and Huntress to the greater DC universe.

I'd hope that Supergirl doesn't turn out to be a permanent member of the new Justice League United, that spot should go to PeeGee.

#56 Posted by timelord (707 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip said:

@achilles100 said:

For what it's worth, WF is doing a crossover with Superman and Batman in a few months. Hopefully that is an attempt to introduce PeeGee and Huntress to the greater DC universe.

I'd hope that Supergirl doesn't turn out to be a permanent member of the new Justice League United, that spot should go to PeeGee.

Id have Supergirl on whatever the new young justice book ends up being and have Powergirl be on the Justice League United

#57 Posted by RDClip (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.