DC's 'The New 52' - What About Power Girl?

• 119 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

If this DC reboot, revamp, new DC Universe -- whatever you want to call it -- has done anything, its that it has brought DC Comics to the forefront of comic book news. And that, for the most part, is a really good thing. I mean, all comic fans want to see people buying and reading comic books -- we all want this industry to exist, right? Yet, while it's all great and fun that the new DC Universe is being remodeled and characters we know and love are getting a chance to break from the chains of continuity that confine them (and their respective creative teams), not all of the news that has come to light has been great.

Some change isn't always the best -- at least it isn't when you are dealing with some of your favorite comic book characters. In order to pull off a revamp and a launch of 52 new ongoing titles, DC Comics had to cancel a whole lot of comic book series and change the roster to many of their popular teams. Among the canceled books was Power Girl, which had reached issue 27 before coming to an end prior to the launch of the new DC Universe. The series, which had initially seen success in numbers and praise from fans and comic journalists alike, was launched by stellar creative team Jimmy Palmiotti, Justin Gray and artist Amanda Conner.

== TEASER ==

The series' first issue saw a lot of success before the second issue dropped to 36,000 units sold and remained there before eventually dipping below the 20,000 units sold mark. That's not to say the series was bad; in fact, it was pretty good. Even after Palmiotti, Gray and Conner's twelve issue run ended and writer Judd Winick took over writing duties on the series alongside artist Sami Basri until Matthew Sturges came on board, the series was still okay. Sadly, money talks and PG wasn't selling the way DC would have liked -- and fans had been bracing themselves for a canceled book. Which unfortunately, is exactly what happened.

This summer, DC revealed an all new line-up of books that would be released starting in September, and Power Girl unfortunately did not make the list. PG not only lost her own ongoing series in the revamp, but she lost a place on any of DC's upcoming team books (Justice League and Justice League International, for example). This was, unfortunately, a rather sad ending to a series which had done its best to give Power Girl something she had never had before -- an identity.

Before the Power Girl series by Palmiotti and Gray, Power Girl was nothing more than an Earth-2 version of Supergirl. She was (arguably) a second rate character whose physical appearance was used to sell her books when her personality seemed lacking. The creative team made her entertaining and interesting; they gave her a personality, interests and ambition. Their treatment of the fact that she is a voluptuous woman was appropriately tongue-in-cheek, and made for some very amusing moments in her book. In twelve issues Power Girl went from being a character who was just a really busty female version of Superman, to being her own woman with her own identity who just happened to have a voluptuous figure. That's what made this book so great, and that's what makes me sad to see it go.

Late last week during FanExpo in Toronto (which we covered here), DC announced an all new series, Justice Society, which was being written by veteran Starman and Justice League writer James Robinson and drawn by Nicola Scott (Wonder Woman). The announcement revealed that the series (which doesn't yet have a release date) would be set on Earth-2 -- coincidentally, Power Girl's home universe. Could DC be saving PG for the Justice Society book? Could Power Girl finally be returning to Earth-2? All that we know for sure is that DC editor Eddie Berganza had been quoted as saying Karen Starr would return -- but he never confirmed that she would be returning as Power Girl.

After a great series that had established Power Girl as having more depth and personality, it would certainly be unfortunate to see the character's departure from comics. Particularly since her final issue made no mention or hint of what was in store for her in the future. It just sort of ended, and frankly, that kind of sucks.

What do you think of Power Girl? What would you like to see be her future at DC comics? Do you think she will join the recently announced Justice Society book?

#1 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

her book was cool. lots of funny moments, good dialogue. she sure went from booberella with a cape to a real, distinguishable heroine. i hope they give her another series, at least in jla or jsa.

#2 Posted by harleyquinnhawkgirl (336 posts) - - Show Bio

i absolutely loved her series, from beginner to end. no matter who worked on it, i thought that they all did very well with her character. i will be so broken hearted if her character is just left in limbo somewhere like many other characters right now. I dont want her to just appear in issues i want to see so much more of her than that UGH! CURSE YOU SEPTEMBER!
#3 Posted by imsirius (44 posts) - - Show Bio

I like her a lot, followed her series, and think there's a lot more that could be done with the character. I liked the new Terra, too.

#4 Posted by dadarkknight36310 (96 posts) - - Show Bio

I hear that she may appear as Mr Terrific love interest in his new book.

#5 Posted by Fetts (4418 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would we look at her face? Her costume mind as well be labeled "Check out my boobs."

#6 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Will it be Kara-Zor-L?

#7 Posted by ScarlettLynn (160 posts) - - Show Bio

They've said Karen Starr will appear in "Mister Terrific."

#8 Posted by Dernman (14766 posts) - - Show Bio

If she turns out to be another Kryptonian then no I don't want to see her again.

#9 Posted by slick23 (460 posts) - - Show Bio

I want my PowerGirl Back..I Wish she'll get her title back come December..that would be the best gift.EVER! DO IT DC!

#10 Posted by achilles100 (200 posts) - - Show Bio

According to someone on one of the final panels at SDCC, Power Girl herself WILL return; there's just no mention of when or where, of if she's Karen Starr, or even Kryptonian, never mind if she's from Earth 2 or not.  Just that she's "sweet" and will return.  Make of that what you will.  I'm personally hoping for a new Power Girl title in the next wave of titles.

#11 Posted by darkrider (439 posts) - - Show Bio

i think she  will be in jsa project with Nicola Scott and jemes robinson

#12 Edited by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

I've read that she's set to appear in Mister Terrific. I swear, I hope they don't give her another outrageous origin like the time she was supposedly an "Atlantean".

#13 Posted by Dernman (14766 posts) - - Show Bio
@Duo_forbidden said:
I've read that she's set to appear in Mister Terrific. I swear, I hope they don't give her another outrageous origin like the time she was supposedly an "Atlantean".
Just as long as she not another Kryptonian Im ok.
I'm wondering if Mr Terrific creates a bridge from main Earth to Earth 2 and she comes from there.
#14 Posted by Xenozoic Shaman (410 posts) - - Show Bio

Power Girl is the main reason I wasn't thrilled to hear of the DC "revamp", but I do hold out hope that she'll her due eventually.  To be perfectly honest, if it wasn't for PG, I would never have started to a good deal of the other fabulous DC books.  I thought Justice League #1 was a good start, but I'd love to see PG appear again on a regular basis.

#15 Posted by chalkshark (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

Power Girl has been a fan favorite for 30 years. She might not be able to sustain an ongoing title, in the long run,but it's a good bet she'll be a part of Robinson's Justice Society. The Justice Society is where she started, & it's always been where she belonged. With luck, & high sales, perhaps she can one day spin a solo book out of the Justice Society book, somewhere down the road. In the meantime, Robinson is a great writer & will no doubt do right by the character.

#16 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4212 posts) - - Show Bio
@Duo_forbidden said:
I read that somewhere too. Looking forward to seeing her in Mister Terrific.
#17 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm interested to see what her relationship with Mr. Terrific will be.

#18 Posted by StarKiller809 (1237 posts) - - Show Bio

Power Girl has always seemed kinda cool but I'm not really crying over her not being in the new DCU. I would like her to be but I'm okay if she isn't.

#19 Posted by xkoenig (393 posts) - - Show Bio

Unfortunately, as much as Gray, Palmiotti and Conner did an incredible job making PG into a hilarious, brilliant character, I just can't see how they can bring her into the DCnU. I mean, PG's creation was the product of DC's continuity problems and the whole point of the DCnU is to clear away that whole tangled, junky mess that was the various Crises and Zero Hour etc. How would she fit in? You would need there to be an alternate Universe that she would come over from. Plus the DCnU takes itself so seriously right now there's just no room for someone goofy and 'meta' like PG. I mean, look at the current Justice League the way it's starting up. Their first villain is Darkseid!! I know there's going to be a Justice Society somehow soon. She could be in that. The best we can hope for is an equivalent version of her, like they said there would be a Karen Starr, right? But probably de-powered. Anyway, who knows - maybe they will get creative and figure out a neat way to bring her back?

#20 Posted by The Stegman (23162 posts) - - Show Bio

she might pull an "Ultimate Carol Danvers" and just be a federal agent or something

#21 Posted by Mercy_ (92629 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's hope. JSA and Earth 2. I don't see how you can have both of those together and not have Power Girl. And the creative team is great. I loveeee Nicola Scott.

#22 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

Well least she got "Karen Starr will be making an appearance blah blah", there are more interesting characters im concerned about like the Shazam family, Cassandra Cain, etc.

#23 Posted by Om1kron (1170 posts) - - Show Bio

@StarKiller809 said:

Power Girl has always seemed kinda cool but I'm not really crying over her not being in the new DCU. I would like her to be but I'm okay if she isn't.

This, forever.

#24 Posted by Dernman (14766 posts) - - Show Bio
@xhavoc86 said:
Well least she got "Karen Starr will be making an appearance blah blah", there are more interesting characters im concerned about like the Shazam family, Cassandra Cain, etc.
Cassandra Cain is still in the DCU as Blackbat.  I'm hoping Shazam will be in Earth 2. It's a better fit in my opinion.
#25 Posted by Baddamdog (2223 posts) - - Show Bio

I WANT HER TO BE I N THE MAIN EARTH! NOT STICKING EARTH 2!!!!!!!!! Also, if Stargirl doesn't exist either I'm gonna be so pissed. Why do we even have a mister terrific ongoing?? I didn't even know anyone liked him.

#26 Posted by Grimoire (532 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm up to issue 20 of Power Girl and its still something I like. The writers made her really funny which was great about her.

#27 Posted by Dernman (14766 posts) - - Show Bio
@Baddamdog said:
I WANT HER TO BE I N THE MAIN EARTH! NOT STICKING EARTH 2!!!!!!!!! Also, if Stargirl doesn't exist either I'm gonna be so pissed. Why do we even have a mister terrific ongoing?? I didn't even know anyone liked him.
It was already said Karen Star is on Main Earth. It might be she just not PG yet.
#28 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

i miss PG i hope they bring her back in the furture i was kinda sad when Jimmy Amanda and Justin left but i hung in there i had a bad feeling PG was numbered when they left.
#29 Posted by Gerhabio (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Not hard to imagine what the designer of this character was thinking

#30 Posted by SlickyMike88 (211 posts) - - Show Bio

drop the supergirl comic and continue on with the  power girl comic

#31 Posted by Burnstar1230 (209 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think she's needed in this DCnU. If they want to bring in new readers, they would choose Supergirl over PG simply because she's more recognizable. Not saying that PG wasn't a good read at all, but I think the writers made good decisions as to which comics they were going to include in the DCnU right now.

#32 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

SWEET!! Now, even more of a reason for me to pick up Mr. Terrific.

#33 Edited by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope she comes back, the series was really good, it was light harted but still had character growth, which I think is great. 
They should come out with a Power Girl/ Stephanie Brown book, I think they would make an interesting duo.
#34 Posted by Judge_Dredd (149 posts) - - Show Bio

Power Girl is one of the best, the people need PG. I don't find Supergirl very interesting, Power Girl on the other hand is one of the more entertaining glorious characters.

#35 Posted by Bearded Justice (751 posts) - - Show Bio

im gonna miss something about power girl.  cant quite put my finger on it 

#36 Edited by comicace3 (3469 posts) - - Show Bio

Power Girl is an interesting character, not because I am a boy, but because of her lifestyle and the way  she lives. It makes me want to read about her more. Plus she did have allot of funny comics. I believe they should revamp her because she has more allot more fans than the writers of dc comics has ever imagined. Just because we don't buy her book as often as we should doesn't mean we don't like her. I kind of liked the art by Amanda Conner. They should bring that back too.

#37 Posted by Tempest55 (77 posts) - - Show Bio

Please be in the Justice Society of America! Oh how perfect life would be.

#38 Posted by WizardShazam (49 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: Mr. Terrific is DC's Reed Richards CONFIRMED!

That aside, I came onto the Power Girl series late before going back and checking out the earlier Gray/Palmiotti books. I would be really upset if they can make space for 15 (or however many) Bat titles but can't find a place on a team for PG. Speaking of which, anyone else think Amanda Conner would be perfect for a Captain Marvel series (ongoing, please!)?

#39 Posted by Darkmount1 (1270 posts) - - Show Bio

My guess is that she'll just be Karen Starr in the Mister Terrific title, while her Power Girl alter-ego AND Karen Starr ID will be in the new JSA series. It could work if DC put out a special showing how she ended up on Earth-2 (which I still insist is the 52 multiverse version). Let's say that in it, while the Flashpoint Earth is about to take over, something pulls Kara and the rest of the JSA (and associates) to the new Earth-2, where each member takes the place of the counterpart living there (in the case of Alan Scott, he takes the place of the dead one there).
#40 Edited by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio

Removed from existence. 

Thanks DC.  :(

#41 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

Rumor has it she's in Mr. Terrific and possibly Voodoo.

#42 Posted by Owie (3625 posts) - - Show Bio

It was the only DC book I read for more than 6 months in a row.  Nice character-based writing all the way through.  Amanda Conner was great--real vivacious art.

Another thing I liked about it, as a non-regular DC reader, was that it was kind of old-school, in that it often just stood alone on the basis of its own stories and didn't get sucked into events much.  It did tie in to the Max Lord event for a while, but even then I didn't need to read a bunch of other stuff to understand what was going on.  If only all comics were like that--it's no shocker that a comic that was allowed to stay true to its own narrative (without going into event diversions every 3 issues) was also one of the few with real long-term character development.

#43 Edited by comicace3 (3469 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bearded Justice: Think about what she is most known for, allot of guys know this!
#44 Posted by Casshern (142 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally the question I've been thinking about This New 52 stuff. WHAT ABOUT CHARACTERS WE'LL MISS?? 

Power Girl_ will she come back with a symbol on her chest? Or have a smaller chest OR just an even lower cut design? 

Hell Supergirl looks older in 52 sooo. 

Will Daimon be born again or Never? 

What about Cassandra Cain? well she be born again?  

I say born again because they are younger...Darksied is Alive not DEAD. 
Hal is young and the Green Lantern...that means he never went crazy and Kyle never gets a green to replace him, What about John? 

Crisis of Multiple Earths I guess didn't happen, That might be how the universe goes back to normal? 

Is Wonder Woman Diana's Mother the Queen or is this Diana? and is Diana made of clay or was she born?  
Hey they made Thomas Wayne Batman...who knows. 
Yeah I want to read about Batman, Cyborg and Wonder Woman. 

So many people gone or could be gone or could be NEW VILLAINS. 
I'm also looking to see what cool New characters will come of 52. You know when it all goes away, that'll be the character you pray crosses over. 

SUPERBOY PRIME? and so on?

#45 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

I Loooooo(oooo)ve Power Girl.  I must admit, I've only read a couple of the Palmiotti/Connor series, and instead feel in love with the series with Winick and Basri's run.  The character is fun and easy-going.  She even was getting some major character development -establishing a public persona and having a tech sidekick to pal around with.  It's such a shame that she didn't get to reach the full potential it looked as if she was going to achieve, what with the New 52 and everything... 

I wouldn't really want her to be in Earth 2 because, frankly, I don't plan on reading anything Earth 2 any time soon.  I suppose if the "Karen Starr" that's going to appear in the new 52 is styled after old PG, it's alright with me. 

All I know is that PG's uncertain fate is one of my biggest concerns with the reboot.  I'm sure that goes for everyone who is essentially leaving one of their favorite characters behind so that DC can get a do-over...

#46 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman said:
@xhavoc86 said:
Cassandra Cain is still in the DCU as Blackbat.  I'm hoping Shazam will be in Earth 2. It's a better fit in my opinion.
Blackbat? Bleh.
#47 Posted by CrimsonTempest (307 posts) - - Show Bio

I would adore to see Karen Starr, Power Girl, back in the main DCnU. A new costume, sure, but just to see her adventures once more is something I would enjoy greatly. And if Gray, Palmiotti, and Conner were to write and draw the book, even better. Don't get me wrong, I loved Winnick and Basri, but it got too moody at times, whereas the first creative team made the book funny and fun to read, without going for too many schticks.

#48 Posted by lorex (949 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoyed the Power Girl series. It was smart, well written, fun and gave PG some much needed characterization and depth. I think when some the 52 titles fail, and there will be some the door will open for JSA and hopefully PG

#49 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (746 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt we've seen the last of Power Girl. She's obviously still in the hearts and minds of the readers, and she's a cosplay favorite at conventions. This reboot might even be good for her. As someone mentioned earlier, she's spent most of the modern age as a continuity embarrassment. We had the retconning of her origin that made her Arion's descendant; she had that kid during Zero Hour that disappeared and no one talks about; she disappeared for a little while; and then she went back to being the Earth-2 Supergirl. I'll admit that I didn't read the Gray/Palmiotti/Conner series, but it sounds like it was getting canceled regardless of the revamp. There's nothing that prevents her from returning to the person she was by the end of that series when she comes back in Mister Terrific or as a member of Earth-2's Justice Society (we have the multiverse again, so we might as well use it). All in all, I wouldn't worry too much about Power Girl. She'll be back. 

#50 Posted by Mrfuzzynutz (990 posts) - - Show Bio

Dont worry Kara, I am sure the Marvel Family will have room on the bench for you hahaha

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.