Follow

Power Girl

Character » Power Girl appears in 1721 issues.

Kara Zor-L is the older, wiser, and stronger counterpart of Supergirl from Earth 2 but resides on the Prime Earth.

3 minute tutorial - Power Girl Evening Look

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

As someone who knows some stuff about fashion and how to put on makeup, I can honestly say I have watched numerous online videos on how to achieve a variety of looks.  Most are really quite simple with the right amount of practice.  As I have written about before, wearing a lot of makeup is not something particularly conducive to a superheroic life - neither would its application be a valuable use of time, nor would it really stay on much through the amount of stresses the heroes undergo.  Power Girl may be a fairly polarizing character in comics.  A lot of female fans regard her depiction as one of the most unrealistic in comics with her near impossible proportions.  She of course has her fans, but this is not the main reason something drew my attention recently.  It is this picture:

No Caption Provided
    Other than some lipstick or maybe some extra black around the eye to signify some mascara or eyeliner, it is not very common to see much makeup on a comic book character, but here she is wearing what I would classify as a sexy evening look (smokey eyeshadow, heavy eyeliner).   In relation to the rest of her depiction this is almost completely in line with artists, because if you want to make some sexy, it makes sense to start already with a character that is maybe considered the ultimate in fantastical depiction.  I do have to give the artists credit, he or she did their research and actually pulled off something realistic and fashionable looking.  Conversely though it seems more over-the-top on an already over-the-top character.  it looks like here that she just came from an evening on the town but maybe for the sake of not looking like a tart in the future she might consider a bit of makeup remover purse.  
    Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
    GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GundamHeavyarms

Maybe she puts on her make up at super speed. Are you trying to be funny again, because I can't tell.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RazzaTazz

@GundamHeavyarms

Do I ever try to be funny?  I was trying to make a serious point - an already overly sexualized character gets more sexy.  And by the way putting on makeup at super speed makes no sense whatsoever.  Its not as easy as shaving or brushing teeth. 

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Aiden Cross

What's the difference with real life photoshopping of attractive/sexy models to make them look even more attractive/sexy. Both male and female. I see no reason why it shouln't be done in comics.
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RazzaTazz

@Aiden Cross 

The difference is that comics are supposed to be realistic in the sense that characters are not constantly posing for the readers.  This is what models do, I expect more out of a comic book character though. 
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

@RazzaTazz: Maybe she was out for the night and then suddenly had to pull in the costume and fight some crime? ;)

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Aiden Cross
    @RazzaTazz
    Pretty much every comic book character looks like a model. Ripped, beautiful, sexy outfits. Personally i'm more of a fan of the Alex Ross kind of superheroes. But since comics are fantasy I have no problem with them making characters overly sexy or ' perfect' in a fantasy surrounding.  

It's more of a problem when they do it in real life with photo's etc because people actually think they can achieve those looks and will go annorexic and cosmetic surgery to achieve a certain ideal image. 

And people know comics are fake, it's just a drawn picture after all. You'd be surprised how many people do not know that a picture has been photoshopped.
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RazzaTazz

@.Mistress Redhead. 

I thought of that, but then it makes me want to see some more characters who had a date interrupted by the JLA beacon.  Power Girl is not the only one that can wear makeup. 

@Aiden Cross 
    I agree, but in this case it is sort of over the top of over the top isnt it? 
    Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aiden Cross
    @RazzaTazz

I personally don't think so. If anything is over the top it's her outfit and overly large breasts. And I think there are very few men (can't speak for women) who would notice the make up at first, being distracted by the aforementioned.
    Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vitality

Most comics are usually over the top.
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RazzaTazz

@Aiden Cross

Its the first thing I noticed.  Though as I said it wasnt my intention to write about the depiction of her chest size (thats been done).  In a perfect world comics wouldn't depict a female like that, but I know it is partially fan service so it doesnt really bother me.  Still the way her breasts are drawn here looks kind of out of proportion (and I don't mean in terms of size). 

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Aiden Cross
    @RazzaTazz
    That i agree with. But there are other aspects that aren't quite drawn in a flattering manner. Like her crotch area.
    Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
    GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GundamHeavyarms
    @RazzaTazz: Oh, my fault.  Power girl isn't that over the top.  I would say that Catwoman and Poison Ivy are more over the top. In fact, she's tame compared to Psylocke and Emma Frost.
    difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By difficlus
    @RazzaTazz: from what i've read about PG she always has her costume under almost anything she's wearing. On more than 1 occasional she's been out on a girls night and simply took off her clothes and ventured into the adventure. As for the art itself its just to look pretty and yes of course disproportionate . She like 90% of comic art is unrealistic so i never get why people complain mostly about her. Michael Turner's art from superman and batman borders the same type of courageousness (it looks like superman is wearing some eye liner). and there physique is just impossible. its almost disgusting to look at how he draws them. This type of idealistic art is spread over most comic characters though so lets face it nearly ever comic character by our realistic standard is over the top. PG is just more self aware than most of her counter parts who can so far give no account for why they wear the costumes they wear. She has mentioned she wants to have a level of distracting sex appeal so that i can deal with. 
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By No_Name_

Yikes, I am not a fan of this image.

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By achilles100
    @Babs: It was an inventory cover from 2010, with a number of problems with it, but the artist himself seems capable of much better work, though he does tend toward extreme cheesecake.  The Reboot probably made it necessary to use an inventory cover.
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By TheCrowbar

Is this an offical picture or fan art?
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RazzaTazz

@TheCrowbar 

I think it is the cover for upcoming issue 27
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @RazzaTazz said:

Ugh, yeah, this one is sorta indefenisble, unless she's on a date and something forces her away. But at the speed she flies at...shouldn't all be streaks?
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

@RazzaTazz said:

@.Mistress Redhead.I thought of that, but then it makes me want to see some more characters who had a date interrupted by the JLA beacon. Power Girl is not the only one that can wear makeup.

Agreed, but perhaps she is the only one who cares enough to date lol

achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By achilles100
    @RazzaTazz said:

@TheCrowbar 

It is.  Like I said, it's an inventory cover DC decided to use; probably because of problems getting someone else to do that cover.  And it's from 2010, both of which explain why the background's blank, and why there's nothing at all about the issue that the cover tells us---the artist simply had no idea what his cover would be used for, if anything.
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @achilles100 said:
    @RazzaTazz said:

@TheCrowbar 

It is.  Like I said, it's an inventory cover DC decided to use; probably because of problems getting someone else to do that cover.  And it's from 2010, both of which explain why the background's blank, and why there's nothing at all about the issue that the cover tells us---the artist simply had no idea what his cover would be used for, if anything.
    I'm not blaming the Artist because I know it's probably just his rendition, I blame DC for constantly trying to oversexualize PG on the covers. It's not a credit to what has a been a surprisingly good series.
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @TheCrowbar: Not necessarily, depends on the quality and who put it on
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @RazzaTazz said:
    @TheCrowbar: Not necessarily, depends on the quality and who put it on

Before I replay in earnest, what do you mean? Could you clarify?
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @TheCrowbar: I mean I am sure some makeup artist somewhere in the world could put on makeup that wouldnt streak  at supersonic speeds.  
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @RazzaTazz said:
    @TheCrowbar: I mean I am sure some makeup artist somewhere in the world could put on makeup that wouldnt streak  at supersonic speeds.  
    ahh I guess with the amount of metahumans around there might be a market for it.
    Avatar image for bearded_justice
    Bearded Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Bearded Justice

you make a good point and i've never noticed power girl wearing make-up before now.  kinda want to go back to older issues and see if it's there. 

that's one thing i never liked about the batman movies is that he'd have this black makeup around his eyes and i just cant see batman sitting in front of a mirror putting that stuff on
    achilles100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By achilles100
    @TheCrowbar said:
    @achilles100 said:
    @RazzaTazz said:

@TheCrowbar 

I'm not blaming the Artist because I know it's probably just his rendition, I blame DC for constantly trying to oversexualize PG on the covers. It's not a credit to what has a been a surprisingly good series.
    I wouldn't say that the series has had an inordinate amount of covers that oversexualize the character.  Most of them seem to simply be of the standard varieties that covers take, using scenes from the issue.  Or scenes meant to evoke what's happening in the issue.  Especially the Winick run.  The current and previous issues just featured PG and Batman together on the cover; nothing overtly sexual about them.  And it is of course not simply PG who has that sort of cheesecake cover that you refer to.  Wonder Woman, Catwoman, the BOP...pretty much any female character that DC has that's been on a cover has had a cover pose like that.
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Huh, now that you do mention it, it does seem the makeup is overemphasized (at least I noticed on the second look!). I think its really just for a good visual and artwork style to be honest...even if functionally it makes no sense to have such things out when busting bad guys.

sky-pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sky-pirate

I have seen a make-up commercial several times, where they put heavy make-up on a woman and she looks diffrent in the end, from how she did at first. So, could PG's make-up work as a semi-disguise of some kind?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.