Follow

Post-Apocalyptic

Concept » Post-Apocalyptic appears in 1198 issues.

This concept relates to comics with a Post-Apocalyptic setting which is usually depicted as a large desert wasteland with very few standing buildings or landmarks. It represents what the world would look like in the author's mind many years after the fall of modern society.

Post-Apocalypse in Space

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

No Caption Provided

One of my favourite genres of fiction is that of the post-apocalyptic world, but it is also a relatively uncommon one as it is hard to set a functional story in them.  The concept of a post-apocalyptic world is one which is a sort of variation on the dystopian one (another favourite genre) that of a future world gone wrong.  Although it has its roots in themes which are constants through fiction the very concept is sort of reliant on the technology or the advanced society of the world destroying itself.  The genre has been better represented since the end of the Second World War as mankind unleashed the destructive power of the atom, but other reasons for apocalypse other than doomsday devices exists including destruction of the environment, society run amuck, the rise of robots or messing with aspects of science that we don’t understand.  The only exception to the post-apocalyptic world as a reflection of our own actions is that of the combination with another genre of fiction, zombies (though even in some cases the zombies are as a result of our own folly.)  In terms of post-apocalyptic stories though I came across an interesting one while I was reading 52 recently.  A sector of the universe is overrun by some great evil, and the people look to Lobo to lead them as their religious leader.  This touches on a couple of other concepts which are common in the genre.  The first would be that of total destruction and hopelessness.  This was a theme within The Road which sort of ties into things which are happening here.  Lobo’s followers have lost all hope and they are burning their cultural artifacts to stay warm.  Of course this is not as depressing as The Road was which shows mankind as hanging on to seemingly nothing, but it is kind of the same point if well beyond it.  The other interesting aspect of the events in 52 is that of religion.  Of course religion serves to give some direction to a group facing annihilation, but the interesting aspect here is finding religious guidance from such a strange leader.  The Mist (both the novel and the movie) is arguably a post-apocalyptic movie, but even though it is intended as a horror, there are elements here of post-apocalypse, at least in a microcosm as a group of individuals are trapped inside a grocery store when a dimensional portal opens up and out pops a bunch of monsters.  The plot here follows basically how to survive, and one of the characters takes it upon herself to be their spiritual leader.  Of course she is in most ways nothing more than a raving lunatic, but faced with their own destruction these people look anywhere they can for guidance.   Of course there are many different aspects of this genre of fiction, just I found it interesting to have two of them presented here in such a manner from a series for which this is not the main focus. 

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SC  Moderator

Great blog. Praise be to Lobo. For heth the Main Man. 

KingofMadCows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By KingofMadCows

It would be interesting to have a post apocalypse set eons in the future, when the universe, or perhaps a specific galaxy, is going into the big freeze. The stars are burning out. Celestial bodies have drifted so far apart from each other that the nights are completely dark. Yet desperate people still flee into the void of space in hopes of finding a habitable system. The cores of planets are going cold. The preservation of warmth and heat is of paramount importance. The pitiful creatures who have not yet succumbed to the cold live in massive domes designed to ensure that every tiny bit of useful energy is utilized and nothing but waste heat is radiated.

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By cosmo111687

I loved 52 and remember trying to pick the stories apart and figure out which writer had the biggest influence on which part. Sometimes it was kind of blurry and you could see bits and pieces from each writer while others you knew were just Rucka, or Johns, or Morrison. I'm fairly sure this part was pretty much entirely Grant Morrison, especially since he revisits the same basic plot in Joe The Barbarian with a malevolent force eating away at the fabric of reality and religious leaders refusing to do anything due to their self-serving and hollow vows of pacifism.

But getting back on topic, I'm no expert on Green Lantern at all, but aren't the Red Lanterns also a product of a post-apocalyptic outer space world?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#4  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @cosmo111687 said:

But getting back on topic, I'm no expert on Green Lantern at all, but aren't the Red Lanterns also a product of a post-apocalyptic outer space world?

I guess that is true though specifically Atrocitus

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.