Popeye was the first superhero

#1 Edited by emptytomb (398 posts) - - Show Bio

Popeye was created and published in 1929. He became a regular famous name by 1932. In 1933 He had his first cartoon yet he is unaccredited for being the first famous superhero in the U.S or anywhere. He was the first superpowered hero. There might have been others but they didn't become famous or known before or during the time he first appeared.

#2 Posted by emptytomb (398 posts) - - Show Bio

His stories and art even rivaled those of stan lee and jack kirbys creations.
#3 Posted by Black Lantern Mar-vell (2015 posts) - - Show Bio

um...wouldn't the ANCIENT Greek hero Heracles (or Hercules for the red necks out there) be the first "super" hero?  Or maybe even Gilgamesh?  Or the Biblical Samson?  All those guys are quite a bit older than Popeye!
#4 Posted by Donnieman v5.1 (44323 posts) - - Show Bio

It will always be debatable who was truly the first superhero.

#5 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Besides, Popeye was only the first comic strip steroid abuser, because I don't know what he was taking, but it was not "spinach".

#6 Edited by emptytomb (398 posts) - - Show Bio

sorry meant to say popeye was the first famous superhero in a comic book strip. I've did an online search and popeye was the only first superpowered hero in a comic book/strip. There were other characters like flash gordon but theyy had limited powers.
#7 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" Besides, Popeye was only the first comic strip steroid abuser, because I don't know what he was taking, but it was not "spinach". "
Yeah, what kind of drugs do you have to be on to develop football sized tumors in your forearms?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.