Follow

Popeye

Character » Popeye appears in 3651 issues.

Popeye is a sailor who gains super human strength after eating spinach.

POPEYE the Movie

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By No_name_here

Chris Evans is Captain America? Big deal.   The real comics casting call that’s going to whip the fan community into a raucous frenzy will be over who should play Popeye.  See, that irascible spinach-loving sailor will be getting his own feature film down the road, according to Empire. Avi Arad, the main who brought Marvel up into its current status as a bonafide multi-media superpower is producing this 3D CG animated project.

I’ve always had a soft-spot for Popeye. Perhaps it’s the fact the only green I actually enjoy eating is spinach (and man, you have to be careful about eating too much of that stuff. Ewwwww…).   I think it has more to do with the character’s dichotomy. He’s a goofy guy who gets into all sort of goofy situations, but he’s still more or less a real life sailor, rough edges and all. I mean, the guy cursed like a sailor in the original comic strips by E.E. Segar before he had to clean up his act.   And, in a bit of meta-fiction, he actually enlisted in the Navy and fought the Japanese during World War II.   So he’s dangerous as far as cartoon characters go.

This is sort of coming on the heels of the announcement of the new Smurfs movie over the past couple weeks (although this won’t integrate live action).  While I think the Smurfs have a better shot at reaching kids today, I’m not sure how well Popeye’ll speak to modern children. Will they accept such a knucklehead into their hearts?   There, of course, already was that bizarre live action musical movie from the 80s that starred Robin Williams…  

== TEASER ==

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I love the Robin Williams Popeye, I'll watch it anytime it's on. They can't top that.....

Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Kurrent

Clint Eastwood for Popeye

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.