Follow

Polaris

Character » Polaris appears in 2836 issues.

The Mistress of Magnetism, Polaris, is the daughter of Magneto. One of the earliest additions to the X-Men's roster, she has also been a member of X-Factor and the Genoshan Acolytes.

Why Lorna becomes mentally unbalanced

jmc247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jmc247
    jmc247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jmc247

Marvel's rational is pretty similar to their rational for why Magneto goes crazy.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#3  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I think it's genetic. Magneto isn't the model of mental health and neither are any of his children. Polaris and Wanda are straight up crazy and Quicksilver is an incestuous freak with father issues who enjoys shoving sharp rocks beneath his skin.

fear monger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By fear monger

Buckshot says:

"I think it's genetic. Magneto isn't the model of mental health and neither are any of his children. Polaris and Wanda are straight up crazy and Quicksilver is an incestuous freak with father issues who enjoys shoving sharp rocks beneath his skin."

i agree with Buckshot,it was bound to happen

jmc247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jmc247

Buckshot says:

"I think it's genetic. Magneto isn't the model of mental health and neither are any of his children. Polaris and Wanda are straight up crazy and Quicksilver is an incestuous freak with father issues who enjoys shoving sharp rocks beneath his skin."

Good point. Mags has gone nuts a few times as has Wanda

as has Pietro

and Lorna of course

But, also in the What If Magneto's first child Anya had lived, Anya was totally insane and killed Wanda and then convinced Pietro that Magneto did it and Pietro killed Magneto.

Mr Essex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mr Essex

Okay, maybe I missed something, but how did they pull it out that Lorna really WAS Magneto's daughter? They said she was at first, but then it was revealed that she wasn't. In the original AoA storyline, the Prelates did a genetic scan on her and revealed no genetic link to Magneto. I missed the part in the 616 universe where she was definitely determined to be his child and didn't realise it till they mentioned it in House of M.

Barguest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Barguest

Mr Essex says:

"Okay, maybe I missed something, but how did they pull it out that Lorna really WAS Magneto's daughter? They said she was at first, but then it was revealed that she wasn't. In the original AoA storyline, the Prelates did a genetic scan on her and revealed no genetic link to Magneto. I missed the part in the 616 universe where she was definitely determined to be his child and didn't realise it till they mentioned it in House of M. "

Yeah I was still going about thinking Lorna's not his daughter as well...:P

jmc247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jmc247

Mr Essex says:

"Okay, maybe I missed something, but how did they pull it out that Lorna really WAS Magneto's daughter? They said she was at first, but then it was revealed that she wasn't. In the original AoA storyline, the Prelates did a genetic scan on her and revealed no genetic link to Magneto. I missed the part in the 616 universe where she was definitely determined to be his child and didn't realise it till they mentioned it in House of M. "

First off that was AU. Everything from Magneto meeting Xavier onword was changed. But, secondly you have to ask yourself where did they get the DNA sample from, because clearly they didn't get it from Magneto himself.

Which leaves open two ways they could have gotten it. From a government database and Magneto would have had great reason to make sure they have a false sample so the government or someone else didn't try to clone him or they got the DNA sample from a hair they found they think was Magneto's. Both possibilies would make any such DNA sample quite unreliable.

jmc247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jmc247

Oh and it is Marvel canon that she is his daughter today just go to Marvel.com or pick up your most recient comic.

Mr Essex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mr Essex

jmc247 says:

"Oh and it is Marvel canon that she is his daughter today just go to Marvel.com or pick up your most recient comic.
    " />http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f132/jmc247/file.jpg"

Yeah, I know it's canon now, I was just wondering when it was officially established.

Mr Essex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mr Essex

Post Deleted.

jmc247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jmc247

someone asked this to Chuck Austen, here was his reply.

Justin asks: One thing I was wondering is how the decision to make Polaris Magneto’s daughter again came down? Was that Morrison or your idea? Because, I know the storyline had its roots in Morrison’s New X-Men 132 back in September 2002.

Austen: I believe it was Grant’s. But the roots went much further back, though others can tell you specifically when and where, what issues, what the circumstances were, which page, what panels, what characters, the costumes they were wearing, who lettered it, and possibly even the type of printer it was printed on.

There was a storyline done years ago where she was ‘revealed’ to be Magneto’s daughter, but then it was undone, or proven not to be true, or only happened in one of Scarlet Witch’s continuity-scrubbing bubbles, or something. Maybe in the Neal Adams Roy Thomas run. I researched it at the time, but I’ve since forgotten. I needed to memorize someone’s phone number, and that’s the only brain space I had available.

Apparently Grant made a decision to go back to it, but I’m not sure whose actual idea it was: his, Marvel’s, or God’s acting through them both as a conduit—I assume his, because he was Grant Morrison, and he had the power, the power of Hoodoo—all I can tell you is that the germ of the idea wasn’t mine.

I had intended to use Polaris in my run from the beginning, keep her much as she’d been when I’d read about her in X-Factor and other places, then eventually marry her off to Alex, happily ever after—at least until some other writer came along and made them related to Satan. It was a surprise to me when she appeared in Grant’s X-Men—crazy, muttering to herself, and wandering in the radioactive mud. We’d just had coffee the previous day, and she seemed fine. Just shows how you can miss the little signs.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?referrerid=13171&t=195337

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Kairan1979
    PolarisJunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By PolarisJunkie

@Kairan1979 said:

The last issue of X-Factor offered another explanation to Lorna's mental instability.

It's a side effects of mental blocks put by Mastermind to shield Lorna from the truth - she accidentally killed her parents.

Not to reveal the tag or anything, but this is pretty huge for Lorna. I really hope she sticks around and we see how this affects her.

jmc247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jmc247

Its not one reason. She wasn't mentally unbalanced in 2002-2004 because of a mental block she was because of the Genoshan genocide and then Havok dumping her on her wedding day.

PAD also referenced how her powers effect her mental state by the way.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f132/jmc247/X-Factor%20and%20Milligan/69.jpg

That is not to say what happened in her early years I don't believe effected her mind as if you notice her history the vast majority of it she has had huge mental blocks on using her powers where one second she can lift an Island into space and the next she can't lift silverware. So, its had an effect on her mind, but I would hardly call it a plesenta to explain Lorna's various emotional and mental issues over the years.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.