Follow

Polaris

Character » Polaris appears in 2836 issues.

The Mistress of Magnetism, Polaris, is the daughter of Magneto. One of the earliest additions to the X-Men's roster, she has also been a member of X-Factor and the Genoshan Acolytes.

How I Got into Comics and An Introduction

PolarisJunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Edited By PolarisJunkie

So I'm to this whole blog thing so please forgive me If I deviate from the topic at hand. My name is Chris and I'm 25 years old.

Ever since I was a little child, I had always had an interest in comics. While the interest waned from time to time, it was there in some shape or form one way or another. I was introduced to comic books by my brother who was introduced by my uncle. My brother was very much into the X-Men and I kind of just read whatever my brother had bought. One of the earliest comics I remember reading was a comic book called X-Factor who at the time was written by Peter David. While looking back on it now, I didn't really understand a lot of what was happening (being under 10) I was immediately hooked on all of those characters.

My first real foray into Superhero comics
    My first real foray into Superhero comics

While it wasn't the first comic I had read, the first comic I remember really enjoying and really knowing I love this genre was X-Factor #95. I remember the cover and grabbing it from my brother's room and my interest immediately perked up. A woman with long green hair was floating on the right of the cover staring menacingly at this large grotesque grey man with a cigar falling from his mouth and a bandanna atop his head. Not to mention that his hands looked like a turret and he was ready to start firing. All it said on the cover was Random vs Polaris and I was instantly thrown into the story. The green haired woman, I would come to find out, was named Polaris and had the same exact power as Magneto who was one of the X-Men's biggest foes. Her visual instantly resonated with me when I saw her as I loved anything green as a child. As I grew older, my enjoyment of her character would only grow as I'd have seen her days being corrupted by the villainous Malice, the rest of her tenure on X-Factor showing her strong political views and her days training in Genosha under the Master of Magnetism himself.

And this was only the beginning. From Polaris and X-Factor, I finally had holiday money to spend on comics of my own. And I went nuts whenever it was Wednesday. When I looked at the comic book store I couldn't believe how many comics there actually were and how much of a selection I actually had. My brother and I were Marvel only for our entirety of growing up all of our purchases came from the House of Ideas. And from there on out I made sure to explore a lot of the Marvel Universe besides the X-Men that my brother had covered and found favorites in the Avengers, Venom, the New Warriors and Ms.Marvel to name a few.

I just visited the comic book store today after years of never really shopping in one and it really brought back a lot of memories of me as a kid sifting through the back issue pile of X-Factor or Venom on tippy toes. As I found myself picking my first few DC comics with the recent launch of their New 52 with the Flash and Batwoman, I couldn't help but feeling nostalgic of buying my first Marvel comics when I was little. And so starts another cycle. At least this time I don't have to mooch off of my brother. :)

And that was my trip down Memory Lane.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

That's really sweet :) Polaris has always been one of my favourite characters... You might be interested to learn that she & Havok are due to appear in X-Factor very soon! :)

Tyrannotaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Tyrannotaur

Nice post! Really cool to hear how you got into comics. Are you planning on blogging here on a regular basis?

PolarisJunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By PolarisJunkie

Thanks all for the comments!

And seeing that image of almost all of the Peter David X-Factor with David on board to writing was an instant nostalgia jolt and an immediate pickup for me. I can't wait. If anyone can write Lorna, its Peter David.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.