Follow

Pokémon

Team » Pokémon appears in 414 issues.

Pokémon or Pocket Monsters is a variety of species in in the Pokémon franchise. Each Pokémon has unique abilities they use in battles. Many evolve into more powerful Pokémon that can use stronger moves.

What makes Female Pokemon trainers so Expendable?

• 51 results
    shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By shanana

Misty - Cerulean City Gym leader
     Misty - Cerulean City Gym leader
    Everyone whom has ever watched (The first, second and third seasons) Pokemon should know whom Misty is, she was the fiery redhead that kept both Ash and Brock in check, while pokemon was in it's height. Despite having three older sisters who are known to be famous/ gorgeous, Misty was called the Tomboyish Mermaid. Some of her accolades are 

• Beating Jessie in a Princess Day Tournament
    • Is the Current Cerulean City Gym Leader
    • IS the only Gym leader to appear in Super Smash Brothers (Trophy)
    • Is the youngest and only female trainer in Pokemon to be a water Gym leader. 
    • Champion of the Alto Mare Race in Pokemon Heroes
    • Champion of the Seaking catching Day
    • Top 8 in the whirl island tournies 

Despite all that she accomplished, she was replaced by May in the Third Generation. Misty's goal was simply to be the best Water Pokemon trainer, wheather it meant beating the girls or the Boy's her goal seemed to rival Ash's in a since. Though she makes appearances from time to time it's simply to appease long term fans. Misty had such a "swag" about her that just made her chemistry with Ash amazing. Ash and Misty had 3 battles with each other, the first was a tie, as Team Rocket interrupted, the Second Ash won, but Misty claimed the Prize, which was Togepi and the final Ash Won all of them considered to be the top battles in the history of the show.

May 
     May 
    I personally was never a fan of May, she was whiny, and overly emotional (but then again she is a 13 year old girl so i guess it's to be expected), I felt it was disrespectful to replace Misty with a girl whom didn't even like Pokemon! Eventually she tried it though starting her journey off with Torchic; in doing so becoming the first ever female Protagonist to start a journey. She had one Gym battle in her exploits and she was defeated, by Roxanne; she changed her mind and became a Pokemon coordinator. I hated the whole introduction of Pokemon contest it was Pokemon's way of saying. "You girl's aren't good enough to compete with Ash" . May eventually comes into her own and decides on what she wants to do. Win ribbons in different, regions and become the top coodinator. 

Accomplishments 

• Collected 10 ribbons from different regions
    • Runner up at the Wallace Cup
    • Placed in the Top 8 in Kanto coordinator tourney's
    • Place in top 4 in the hoenn tourneys
    May appeared a few times during the Diamond and Pearl Series, but she was eventually replaced by Dawn. What i hated about Dawn was that she was scared to make mistakes, this could possibly be because i was so used to Misty a trainer who knew what she was doing, (For the most part) that a new trainer really just seemed off. I guess it's not a stretch to think that I hated a trainer in Pokemon's Worst generation.  

Dawn
     Dawn
     Then we get Dawn, and I knew she would be my favorite, when I watched the first episode of Pokemon and saw that Ash didn't show up until the last 10 mins. The thing about Dawn is she was essentially a female Ash; and she didn't take any crap from him either. They bickered they argued and still seemed to fit like brother and sister. Dawn started off a pokemon trainer and a coordinator, wanting to pursue being a pokemon champion. I applauded this at first, even though she would eventually be reduced to just contest.  Dawn had a strong since of confidence that is needed for being a pokemon trainer; which separates her from May. I believe Dawn was brought in to challenge Ash's right to be a main character. Dawn tried a few gym battles, and Ash tried a few Contest; neither of them succeding; For a brief time and period it seemed as if Dawn and her Hilarious Piplup where upstaging Ash. 

Acheivements 
     5 Sinnoh Ribbons 
    Heathrome Tag battle Contest Runner up 
    Hearthrome Collection winner 
    Pokemon Ping Pong tourney winner   
    Twinleaf Festival battle winner 
    Grand Festival Runner Up  Anyways we lose Dawn and now it's just blah, She was a great supporting character, unlike Brock who is starting to sound creepier as the series goes on. It would have been great to see her go up against the likes of Misty, Gary and Ritchie some of Ash's older rivals Anyways, she and Ash teamed up a few times during their time togather which are also ranked at the top as some of the best battles. 

Iris
     Iris
     Now we have Iris, whom is in this 5th Generation of Pokemon. she is the 8th Gym leader of The Black and White series, which really gets confusing. Anyways not only do we lose, Dawn in the NEW GEN WE lost Brock as well. I haven't watched to much of the new series to know about IRIS , but she must be the first black female character. 

What is it about the series that just makes it easy to replace a long term character like Misty or Dawn for that matter, Misty traveled with Ash for 3 seasons and Two generation. May got 2 and Dawn got 2 but no one every makes it into the next gen why?
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By sexy_merc

Misty leaving was the worst thing that happened in the anime.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By InnerVenom123

WHOA, WHOA, WHOA....

What's this about replacing Brock?
    Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Savage
    @Sexy Merc: You are correct sir 

@InnerVenom123: Brock has been replaced by Dent
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Magian

I haven't watched this in such a long time. So they replaced Dawn too, I see. Personally out of all the three that I have seen episodes of, I prefer Misty.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Savage :

WHO THE HELL IS DENT?

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Savage
    @ComicMan24: I preferred Misty Too, but i'd take Dawn over May. 

@InnerVenom123: LOL if you haven't been keeping up then you wont know him. He is the first gym leader of the Black and White games
    Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Adnan

Who cares about the girls, what about Pidgeot?

...remember Pidgeot? Ash left him in...Viridian Forest, I think, saying that he'd be back after he sees Prof. Oak. So Pidgeot waited there.

AND HE NEVER CAME BACK 

;__;

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Magian

I don't like Iris' design though.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Savage : .... ADGWEOGNWOGFMAWOEFANOGAWEGFMAOWGWMAGOWRMGAORNGOERGNADKNGS.

The new pokemon for Black and White look suckish anyway.
    Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Adnan
    @InnerVenom123 said:

" @Savage : .... ADGWEOGNWOGFMAWOEFANOGAWEGFMAOWGWMAGOWRMGAORNGOERGNADKNGS.   The new pokemon for Black and White look suckish anyway. "

You don't like Ice Cream pokemon? ;)

Also, after playing the game for a while, most of the BW pokes have actually grown on me :o Even if there are one or two retarded ones (The first 150 had it's fair share of lame pokes too...mainly Voltorb ._.)
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Magian
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @Savage : .... ADGWEOGNWOGFMAWOEFANOGAWEGFMAOWGWMAGOWRMGAORNGOERGNADKNGS.   The new pokemon for Black and White look suckish anyway. "
    Yeah, I didn't like their designs a lot too.
    Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Savage : I've been on Serebi and seen the designs for all the new pokes..... not a fan.
    Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Savage

Oh you mean the actual pokemon, i was talking about the game play

queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By queenfrost_

I haven't watched this since May, so I don't know anything about Iris or Dawn. But I stopped watching cos Misty owned that show.
    Plus, what is Pokemon without Brock?

JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By JamesSpiring

Explanation: In Japan, there hasn't been a new series of Pokemon every year. Instead, it just runs continually, the subtitle only changing when the generation changes. With the exception of Orange Islands (they introduced Tracey because they expected criticism about Brock when the anime was dubbed - but fans loved Brock, so they brought him back for Johto), cast changes always happen only when they move on to the next generation. Hence, the first series, Pocket Monsters, accounts for the first five dub seasons, the ones with Misty, and set in Kanto and Johto. Pocket Monsters Advanced Generation is the next four seasons, featuring May and set in Hoenn. Pocket Monsters Diamond and Pearl is next, which is the seasons with Dawn and set in Sinnoh. Then the current one, Pocket Monsters Best Wishes, which has Iris and is set in Unova. When Generation 6 comes out, you can be sure either Iris, Dent, or both will be replaced. But that's a few years away yet.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By Supreme Marvel

Original cast was the best. I always found al the female characters past Misty were crap.  Ash and her had the best chemistry.   I watched every episode with Ash, Brock and Misty and watched the beginning and odd episodes of Johto.  But I've lost touch with them now.  I still watch the films and play the games.

I heard rumours that Ash is getting replaced?  Is this true?

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Magian
    @Supreme Marvel said:
    " Original cast was the best. I always found al the female characters past Misty were crap.  Ash and her had the best chemistry.   I watched every episode with Ash, Brock and Misty and watched the beginning and odd episodes of Johto.  But I've lost touch with them now.  I still watch the films and play the games.  I heard rumours that Ash is getting replaced?  Is this true? "
    Really? Haven't heard of such rumour. Not a good idea IMO.
    Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I know, they should always have him.  I understand that the new girl represents that Pokémon area and that's why they replace them.  But you can't replace Ash.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Magian
    @Supreme Marvel said:
    " I know, they should always have him.  I understand that the new girl represents that Pokémon area and that's why they replace them.  But you can't replace Ash. "
    True. Plus having Ash out will most likely alienate any older viewers.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @ComicMan24 said:
    " @Supreme Marvel said:
    " I know, they should always have him.  I understand that the new girl represents that Pokémon area and that's why they replace them.  But you can't replace Ash. "
    True. Plus having Ash out will most likely alienate any older viewers. "

"THIS IS THE NEW GENERATION OF POKEMON! WE LISTEN TO JUSTIN BEIBER AND WRITE TWILIGHT FANFIC, WE'RE THE STUPIDEST F**KING PEOPLE! YEAH! F**K YEAH!"

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Magian
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    " @ComicMan24 said:
    " @Supreme Marvel said:

"THIS IS THE NEW GENERATION OF POKEMON! WE LISTEN TO JUSTIN BEIBER AND WRITE TWILIGHT FANFIC, WE'RE THE STUPIDEST F**KING PEOPLE! YEAH! F**K YEAH!"

"
    LMAO Good one.
    Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Supreme Marvel
    @InnerVenom123: If that becomes true...I know where to hunt!!!
    Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Adnan

In all honesty, I think people should stop bashing the current gen, and especially stop saying tings like "the first gen is the best gen". Sure, we have a right to our opinion, but the youngsters (i.e. the target audience) are gonna grow up with this gen and future ones, and these are the ones they'll think are cool. We should respect that, no?

Of course, when it comes to expendable females...that's a completely different story lol.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26  Edited By Hazlenaut

Actually Misty had great premise she now have to take care of gym that is considered joke now. Cerulean City has lost a lot of respect because of her sisters.   The spin off series had potential but unfortunately they stopped it. I wished to see more development on misty and her sisters. I would see taking care of the gym.

Iris has something interesting to make up for having weak and unruly Pokémon she is strong physically. Due to dragon Pokémon being the most difficult to train she has to take care of a baby Axew. She has fear of ice Pokémon because their dragons weakness.   It was funny that she is mistaken as a Pokémon because of her hair. 

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By John Valentine

Everything's falling apart!  

I just want to go back to the days of Generation I and II. 

Everyone apart from Ash, Brock, Mistry and Gary can go to hell, as far as recurring trainer characters are concerned (Tracey, Max, May, Dawn, Iris etc). From Generation III, I actually liked Drew.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hazlenaut

Here is a female character that deserves more attention. Casey the electabuzz fan was a first time trainer that never defeated Ash. She fought Ash’s Charzard was she was easily defeated. This is how a first time trainer should be. She shows how ash is far more skilled trainer. She was in generation 2 and has icon rivalry with ash. Ash is a pitcher she is a batter. We see Brock cheering for her we learn that he cheer for the underdog which is usually Ash. We see more character development and revealing in one episode of her and the entire cast than entire season for most season of pokemon.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hazlenaut

Just to ask was there ever a female character that was the main protaganist in the comics? I am also including Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Misty was close to having a spin off which I would love to see the challenges a gym leader has to face. I think a new protaganist is needed because it is hard for coming of age character to stay the same age and recall him as a rookie event though he has 37 badges. He even made his own technique counter shield. I think it is time for him to be aside character as soon they make alternate evolution for pikachu. You know they will.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By X35

@Adnan:

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By Nerx

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By KainScion

@Ziccarra_Liafador: the lando calarisian of pokemon, perhaps...

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By hectorsquall

@InnerVenom123 said:

@ComicMan24 said:
    " @Supreme Marvel said:
    " I know, they should always have him. I understand that the new girl represents that Pokémon area and that's why they replace them. But you can't replace Ash. "

You will be missed Brock, Greatly...
    You will be missed Brock, Greatly...
    Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jorgevy

@Ziccarra_Liafador: It's not a sex or gender thing, it's just the same with EVERY character that's not Ash. Anyways the show is too kiddie now and it has been going downhill. Atleast the Games have been getting better and better!!

Also, Im pretty sure it's not just females. Pokemon is probably one of the least sexist games in the world ever. They had the option to play as girl, plenty of girl NPCs, very important ones, gym leaders, rivals, pokemon who are female..... so it's just a thing they do because they think it's gonna help the show....getting rid of the old characters, like Brock, Misty, May, her brother and old rivals like Gary etc....

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    @Supreme Marvel said:

I know, they should always have him.  I understand that the new girl represents that Pokémon area and that's why they replace them.  But you can't replace Ash.

Yeah! That's like replacing Pikachu with a newer Pokemon. Since Ash and Pikachu are best friends, if Pokemon loses Ash, then they might lose Pikachu also and that would be a huge blow to the series because Pikachu is like the most iconic character on Pokemon or the most iconic Pokemon.
    poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By poisonfleur

I love all the girls.. except May.. 
    And I love the addition of women of color: Isis and Lenora. (It's about time) (I thought Isis was middle eastern/ Indian, although Isis' hair looks of African American decent) (Lenora is Black for sure) (Either way, who cares!? I love em both!!!)
    I hope Isis shows promise as the show continues!  
    btw.. Misty is the Queen of Pokemon!

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hazlenaut

Speaking of expandable let’s talk about Gary cheerleading squad. They are considered a joke of how big an ego Gary is. With Gary acting more mature, they seemed to vanish and never to be heard from again. They are right next to Ash’s pidgeot and Glyscor, the two pallet town forgotten trainers, and more under gigantic plot hole or should I say plot canyon.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Supreme Marvel

Gary became awesome in Johto for me. Travelling alone with his Pokémon. That's just awesome. If I were in the Pokémon world I'd be travelling on my own. No one could hold me back and no one would see my techniques or my weaknesses in battle.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_
    this is dent
    this is dent
    Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hazlenaut

@Supreme Marvel: Gary is a great character and he concluded by later becoming researcher like his grandpa and probably being gym leader on the side. His story is concluded but his cheerleader have need of development with two other trainer fates unknown other than having 5 badges and ash as only trainer in pallet. I guessing they would find and motivate the other two trainers to get them back in the game.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#41  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Personally I liked May the most out of all the female characters, but I did start warming up to Dawn with Misty being my least favorite. But as of late I've simply stopped watching the TV show. I use to love the show but I could care less about Ash nowadays and really wish they would bring in some new characters, give the show a fresh start with completely new direction and characters and allow the previous ones (like Ash, Misty, Brock, etc.) to appear every now and then for fans.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hazlenaut

Preferences aside, we can all agree that defiantly shown personality and have quirk that we like and we can aknowledged.

The ultimate example of expendable would be first female avatar which goes by the name of Kris. She was going to be in Red and Blue games but was delayed in to be in platinum. She never to be seen again in the remake she was replaced by Lyra and yet again with leaf. At least she gained counterpart or any remembrance with the animated character Marina.

Leaf would have been the character by Pokemon adventures but was replacing by blue/ green. Anyone else just willing to call the female protagonist Leaf it would feel so much easier.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know I have to say after hearing this form the pokemon writers. They said that were out of ideas on how to use Misty. It started to show in Johto as she was merely background character like weak dragonball character appearing in Dragonball Z. They gave a good reason to exit as giving her the responsibility of taking care of the gym.

However they had good chances of bringing her back with the legendary pokemon kyogre or Team Aqua. Stories involving water and she is not around or even mention felt like a sin. Her possessed by kyogre could have been like the phoenix saga. Whether good or bad it would have gain attention.

one small blast of the past all it takes just look what happened with Charazard. There were rumors that Brock would be a member Team Plasma which made us shook up if it were to be true.

czechoslovakia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bring back Brock. I miss the old voice cast.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By KnightRise

Jynxes ain't sh*t but Ho-ohs and Tricks

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the way I think there will be a new female protagonist coming soon.

I know people may be relieved for hearing “You’re such a kid” line but frankly I blame the writer. Remember Writers there is a limit for saying a catch phrase.

You know never bother to answer your question. You know the pokmon Bayneet the doll that was abandoned, so seeks by his/her owner and seeks vengeance. The girls in fandom is to be expected lose interest the fastest so they do not put much concern. It is odd because I thought pokemon is more gender neutral.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jorgevy

@hazlenaut:

I actually heard Iris is coming with Ash to the Kalos region in a surprising twist of events.

not sure about Cilan though, he might be replaced

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One more not e for expandable the series is known drop plots in general. GS ball anyone? What about the other two trainers. We were never even given a name. They could have been dead, which is possible since Ash died twice.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hazlenaut

@jorgevy: Got the news from the new girl from the next region and apparently she was Ash’s childhood friend. She was his neighbor. We will also be getting different male protagonist as well.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To keep things interesting. But Brock can never leave. Brock is a character that should never leave.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.