Posion Ivy: Evil or Misguided?

#1 Posted by Silverheart (66 posts) - - Show Bio

Poison Ivy is without a doubt one of the most complicated characters to be written in comic books.  On one hand, she could just be considered a psychotic eco-terrorist, but beyond the thorns (at least as I have seen, and I am sure, a few others) is a rose trying to show her true beauty (pun intended).

Ivy was a victim of a terrible childhood, with possible abuse, or so she has said, and was abused considerably by Jason Woodrue, who trasformed her from a brilliant (and innocent) botanist, into some mutant monster.  The mutations he caused her also left her unable to bear children, or even have intercourse without kiling her partner.  Talk about a blow.

Her only seeming escape is her power over flora, whom she can apparently communicate with.  And like an overprotective mother, she does what she believes is right to avenge her children.  The cost of another's life is extreme, but that does not matter to her, it seems, as her "children" were hit first and in worse ways than her victims.

Ivy reveals to Batman, that she only began her career as a criminal to fund her project of creating an isolated eden where she can be alone with her vegetation, and she does manage this, only for it to be destroyed carelessly by a passing military aircraft.

Ivy is a strange sort.  She does not wish to see the world in flames, like the Joker, she only wants to "purify" it, but her extremes cause her to damage others in the process.  She only teams up with other villains either out of coercion or in need of their assets, but it can be seen that she is regretting her decision.  (She would even go to such extremes as fighting and defeating other villains, at times.  She really did a number on the Riddler!)

Two of her biggest moral decisions are taking in the orphans of Gotham that were devastated by a massive earthquake as her children, basically adopting them as her own; as well as her friendship and (obvious, yet unspoken) love for Harley Quinn.

Realizing that she was inadvertently harming her orphans with her toxins she gave up her martyrdom of Robinson Park and surrendered herself, seeking a cure for her condition, a cure which practically killed her.

Clayface tried to use her weakness of love for the orphans against her, and after teaming up with Batman, she avenged her capture by using the guy as mulch for Robinson park.

Her alliance with Harley Quinn is another of her positive points.  In both incarnations of Cartoon and Comic, she initially sympathizes with Harley, due to the poor girl's abuse from the Joker, and takes her in (giving her a cure for Ivy's poison skin, so they could be together without the Jester dying).  She shows signs of true affection for Harley, even protecting her from the Joker in times of need, to the point of crashing Harley's wedding to protect her from the Clown Prince of Crime.

After her revival, she apparently snapped, which caused her to accidently create Harvest.  (I wonder when that guy will come back, so Ivy can atone for those actions and destroy it, once and for all.)

Granted, she also has done some pretty terrible things, and whether it truly registers in her mind is unsure.

So, I wonder, IS Poison Ivy simply misguided?

#2 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

i think she is.

#3 Posted by Mr.Voo the Doo (375 posts) - - Show Bio

Misguided

#4 Posted by Desiderina Redhead (4413 posts) - - Show Bio

why was the other one locked O.o

#5 Posted by V (735 posts) - - Show Bio

crazy.

#6 Posted by Silverheart (66 posts) - - Show Bio

Because I accidentally submitted the same thing twice.  Silly me.

#7 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio
V said:
"crazy.
"
:O
#8 Posted by Desiderina Redhead (4413 posts) - - Show Bio
Silverheart said:
"Because I accidentally submitted the same thing twice.  Silly me."
ooooh okies!

personally....

crazy... but evil at the same time.. she could be good.. has had chances to go good.. didnt REALLY take em
#9 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Pamela is more misguided. On other age with mankind living in harmony with nature she would most likely to became a hero rather than a killer.

The bigger problem with Ivy are the writers, most don't know her or simply don't care and don't use her properly. I hope that changes in Gotham Sirens comics.

Concerning Harvest, I always thought it would come back and Ivy might find a way to return humanity to her victims, like a way to redeem herself rather than destroying the Harvest. Don't forget the Harvest are just victims she torture almost to death. If you think about the Harvest's hate is much like Ivy's hate towards mankind. And it's the irony of her being attacked by a plant hybrid like her and it's like a payback for the killing she had done just for fun. She wouldn't really be doing any good by destroying it.

This is the Poison Ivy I want to see!

Batman #651 Don Kramer and Keith Champagne, page 17

#10 Posted by Psychotime (623 posts) - - Show Bio
Silverheart said:
" or even have intercourse without kiling her partner."
Anybody make a STD joke yet?
#11 Posted by Firestormnuclerman (2097 posts) - - Show Bio
Silverheart said:
"Poison Ivy is without a doubt one of the most complicated characters to be written in comic books.  On one hand, she could just be considered a psychotic eco-terrorist, but beyond the thorns (at least as I have seen, and I am sure, a few others) is a rose trying to show her true beauty (pun intended).Ivy was a victim of a terrible childhood, with possible abuse, or so she has said, and was abused considerably by Jason Woodrue, who trasformed her from a brilliant (and innocent) botanist, into some mutant monster.  The mutations he caused her also left her unable to bear children, or even have intercourse without kiling her partner.  Talk about a blow.Her only seeming escape is her power over flora, whom she can apparently communicate with.  And like an overprotective mother, she does what she believes is right to avenge her children.  The cost of another's life is extreme, but that does not matter to her, it seems, as her "children" were hit first and in worse ways than her victims.Ivy reveals to Batman, that she only began her career as a criminal to fund her project of creating an isolated eden where she can be alone with her vegetation, and she does manage this, only for it to be destroyed carelessly by a passing military aircraft.Ivy is a strange sort.  She does not wish to see the world in flames, like the Joker, she only wants to "purify" it, but her extremes cause her to damage others in the process.  She only teams up with other villains either out of coercion or in need of their assets, but it can be seen that she is regretting her decision.  (She would even go to such extremes as fighting and defeating other villains, at times.  She really did a number on the Riddler!)Two of her biggest moral decisions are taking in the orphans of Gotham that were devastated by a massive earthquake as her children, basically adopting them as her own; as well as her friendship and (obvious, yet unspoken) love for Harley Quinn.Realizing that she was inadvertently harming her orphans with her toxins she gave up her martyrdom of Robinson Park and surrendered herself, seeking a cure for her condition, a cure which practically killed her.Clayface tried to use her weakness of love for the orphans against her, and after teaming up with Batman, she avenged her capture by using the guy as mulch for Robinson park.Her alliance with Harley Quinn is another of her positive points.  In both incarnations of Cartoon and Comic, she initially sympathizes with Harley, due to the poor girl's abuse from the Joker, and takes her in (giving her a cure for Ivy's poison skin, so they could be together without the Jester dying).  She shows signs of true affection for Harley, even protecting her from the Joker in times of need, to the point of crashing Harley's wedding to protect her from the Clown Prince of Crime.After her revival, she apparently snapped, which caused her to accidently create Harvest.  (I wonder when that guy will come back, so Ivy can atone for those actions and destroy it, once and for all.)Granted, she also has done some pretty terrible things, and whether it truly registers in her mind is unsure.So, I wonder, IS Poison Ivy simply misguided?"
Overall yes I believe her to be misguided but that doesn't make her any less dangerous. I think much like Lex Luthor being misguided results in believing the ends justify the means so if she needs to kill so be it she doesn't problem with it though I don't think that like the Joker, Deathstroke, Zsasz, Cheetah, and other savage psychos she goes out of her way to kill just for the sake of killing.

She has a admirable noble goal though her extreme radical actions make her look like a stone cold Ecco Terrorist which she is though she is not completly stone cold to the point of where she would doing things that make her seem like a abject piece of trash lunatic in the same category as Joker, Red Skull, and Doctor Light. Do understand I not saying she isn't a evil dangerous female because she is just that she's not in the same category as the other three atrocious fiends.

In the Comics has she ever shown physically beating up the Joker through hand to hand combat that is in continuity? If she really wanted to protect Harley Quinn she would kill the Joker.  Nothing Joker has done to Harley Quinn has been a act of love. Joker is no different than the abuser in Sleeping With the Enemy pretty much the same, abuse, abuse, abuse, control, abuse, ok Joker is more abject and vile than that abuser but his no respect towards women is the same.

#12 Posted by Sidney (1272 posts) - - Show Bio

Both

#13 Posted by cascadeking09 (6752 posts) - - Show Bio

neither she ignorant

#14 Posted by SUNMAN (7139 posts) - - Show Bio

she's crazy

#15 Edited by Incredible Hulk-Prime (1466 posts) - - Show Bio

Misguided.

#16 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio
@cascadeking09 said:
" neither she ignorant "
She's actully very inteligent, even genius level in her own field of especialization.
#17 Posted by andrea_mendoza1997 (342 posts) - - Show Bio

She is pretty misguided  due to her past and obsession with plants.

#18 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the word you're looking for is "crazy."
#19 Posted by Aqua11500 (2647 posts) - - Show Bio

She is misguided.Pam has personal goals and achievements .but she is willing to go to extremes to get them. 
The goals and achievements  that she desires aren't bad ones,she just needs to find a better way to go about them.Over all in the process she ends up doing pretty ruthless things,but not on purpose. 

All Ivey needs is to have peace with nature,but sadly she doesn't have the resources or funds for that,so she has to make it the best she can.

#20 Posted by cosmo111687 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aqua11500 said:
She is misguided.Pam has personal goals and achievements .but she is willing to go to extremes to get them. The goals and achievements  that she desires aren't bad ones,she just needs to find a better way to go about them.Over all in the process she ends up doing pretty ruthless things,but not on purpose.  All Ivey needs is to have peace with nature,but sadly she doesn't have the resources or funds for that,so she has to make it the best she can.
Quoted for truth.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.