Poison Ivy's redesign

#1 Posted by SupBatz (1452 posts) - - Show Bio

The general trend for New 52 redesigns are that they're (more or less) universally hated or universally liked. But I haven't heard many opinions about Ivy's new look.

Poison Ivy is a character who has gone through a heck of a lot of different looks. She's had green skin, white skin, an outfit composed of leaves, a one-piece body suit, exposed legs, unexposed legs

Here's just a few

So I put the question: what is the prefered Ivy look?

--

Me personally, I like the new 52 design as drawn by Jason Fabok (Detective Comics). I'm glad that he doesn't use the black face tattoos that are prominent in the art of Birds of Prey. And he keeps her beautiful but not exposed while incorporating the plant aspect very well.

#2 Posted by sunhawk (550 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm partial to the Batman TAS designs. Batman characters shouldn't be too far off from normal human.

#3 Posted by TheCannon (16051 posts) - - Show Bio

I want the design she had in the Arkham Asylum game.

#4 Edited by Twentyfive (2405 posts) - - Show Bio

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Ivy's current design. It isn't as if she has a definitive design for people to complain about anyway. I very much like it. And I agree, Fabok's version is great.

#5 Posted by SoA (4592 posts) - - Show Bio

@SupBatz: i also like the new 52 look , i think it helps her in the case of what if she isnt near any plant life or too far to kiss an opponent , it was perfect for her when she was in birds of prey

#6 Posted by KnightRise (4750 posts) - - Show Bio

The organic vegatation is the best one for her character, but probably hell to draw. I don't get it: completely cover up Ivy, Power Girl and Dinah but get Harley's clothes from Baby Gap's XXXSmall section? That being said, I do like the New 52 design for her heroic phase, but if she's a human hating ecoterrorist Eden figure its fine if the covering is slightly diminished.

#7 Posted by JonSmith (3790 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't know why, but I'm quite partial to her green skin look. That's Poison Ivy to me. Probably a combo of not seeing her outside of Arkham Asylum, the Long Halloween, and a comment in the horrible Batman and Robin where Ivy says her skin turned to chlorophyll or something similar. She looks like Poison Ivy with green skin to me. Without it, eh, she's some lady in a leafy corset.

#8 Posted by SupBatz (1452 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith: I also like Ivy's green skin. I liked the pre-New 52 idea that Ivy can shift her skin tone from green to white (if she wanted to appear human) by playing with her hormone levels or something like that.

#9 Posted by Onemoreposter (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

I like my Ivy sexed up. Something like this

Her new 52 suit it atrocious.

#10 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2518 posts) - - Show Bio

I like her new design. It doesn't show any skin yes, but she still looks smoking hot and as long as that's accomplished I'm fine.

#11 Posted by plastickid (14 posts) - - Show Bio

The new design is just horrible in every way.

#12 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11701 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the new 52 design but I also don't mind sexed up,skimpy Ivy either or something inbetween ala the the Young Justice design. green skin is a must.

#13 Posted by LyraFay (2081 posts) - - Show Bio

I like her with green skin but her new 52 design isn't bad. But then again Poison Ivy has never had a defined look compared with Batman's other rogues (which often retain something from previous design).

#14 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (4803 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate her objectified and I hate the new 52 design. New Adventures design is the best.

#15 Posted by ivygirl851 (43 posts) - - Show Bio

I lke the new design. It looks more tactical and her costume serves a purpose. It keeps her alive/enhance her powers.

I think it's one of those rare cases that you get an explanation as to why a character wears a costume.

#16 Posted by Dr_Harlequin (471 posts) - - Show Bio

@ivygirl851: Wait, she needs it to survive? Like Mr. Freeze needs his suit?

I never read anything with Poison Ivy in the New 52 except Harley Quinn #2.

#17 Posted by ivygirl851 (43 posts) - - Show Bio

You probably read her worst story in New52.

She isslowly turning into an antihero.

She was in Birds of Prey where they explained everything about the suit and then in Detective comics.

Poison Ivy in Harley Quinn is not canon.

#18 Edited by Dr_Harlequin (471 posts) - - Show Bio

@ivygirl851: How is it not canon?

Not that I want it to be. I never wanted anything sexual between Harley and Ivy.

#19 Posted by ivygirl851 (43 posts) - - Show Bio

Because the book completely ignores and disregards their new52 origins, their current and past stories, the major arc (gothtopia) that's going on where they are enemies (Harley is on Scarecrows team, mind controlling the city and Ivy s trying to help Batman save Gotham).

As for the lesbian thing it was always an innuendo. Their characters in new52 are "incompatible" and this was just fanservice and a way to boost up sales.

#20 Posted by leah8954 (27 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Ivy not having a defined look. I'm used to her just wearing the leaves on her body and I like the idea that she could just shift them to fit her how ever she wanted them to be. At the end of the day, she is a seductress who uses her looks to manipulate others. Her costume should have sex appeal sense it's fit for her character.

#21 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2201 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the second image the best.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.