Follow

Poison Ivy

Character » Poison Ivy appears in 1964 issues.

A brilliant botanical biochemist, Pamela Isley is a fervent eco-terrorist out to save the world's plant life by any means necessary. She often finds herself at odds with Batman, though they have, on occasion, fought on the same side.

Is Poison Ivy Sexist and an Anti-Humanist?

Bopper Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bopper Girl

I don't know if poison ivy has a thing against all men or all humans with the exception of harley for that matter, But I'm just curious. 
    And what about animals?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#2  Edited By RazzaTazz

I think she has some trust issues with men, but she does not hate them outright.  I think she sees men as some of the main perpeatrators of crimes against the environment.  I am not sure about the animals, at least how it is portrayed in comics, but in real life I can't see how she would have anything against them.  After all an animal like a bee is of paramount importance to the lives of many plants (for pollination) 
    Vogelscheuche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Vogelscheuche
    @Bopper Girl

It's not sexism if it's against men! 

/sarcasm

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cattlebattle

Isn't she just a nature loving sociopath??

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By CATPANEXE

She doesn't fully consider herself human in any case, and states in Sirens that Harley is the only human she ever thought of as a friend.
    * notably if she is a speciest/anti-humanist, which I can't make a strong case against, that cancels out her being a sexist as her being would
    have to apply to plants which she considers herself.

Bopper Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bopper Girl

So give me a good reason why I should like her.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By RainEffect
    @Bopper Girl said:

She's not designed to be liked per se, as she was originally created as a villain. What makes her appealing is that she isn't a stereotypical villain; she's just an environmental extremist. If you read Gotham City Sirens, you'll get a much better outlook into why she does what she does. I think she is a great example of a strong and independent female character. Sure, she's got stereotypical sex appeal, but she uses it to her advantage (and as a weapon, of sorts).

As for her opinion of men. She was used by Jason Woodrue, so she believes that all men are basically like him. She believes that all men are just selfish, egocentric power-lovers. The only man she's ever met who hasn't been that is, predictably, Batman. That's why she was so originally infatuated with him, as she: a) could not believe that he resisted her influence, b) was selfless and had no underlying narcissistic motives.
    Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Anti Humanist: Probably not. Yes, she seems angry at humanity, but she doesn;t want to flat out destory it. Instead, she wants to create a world where plants and humans can live together in harmony.

Sexist: No to that too. She had a loving boyfriend in college who loved her for who she was. And then, of course, there are the male orphans.

Big Ivy fan by the way.

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By GREGalicious

IVY's definitely anti-humanist. She would sacrifice a human (except for HARLEY) in the blink of an eye to save a plant. I dont think shes sexist tho.

Avatar image for teamunitednerds
    TeamUnitedNerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

@Bopper Girl

said:

She's not designed to be

liked

per se, as she was originally created as a villain. What makes her appealing is that she isn't a stereotypical villain; she's just an environmental extremist. If you read Gotham City Sirens, you'll get a much better outlook into why she does what she does. I think she is a great example of a strong and independent female character. Sure, she's got stereotypical sex appeal, but she uses it to her advantage (and as a weapon, of sorts).

As for her opinion of men. She was used by Jason Woodrue, so she believes that all men are basically like him. She believes that all men are just selfish, egocentric power-lovers. The only man she's ever met who

hasn't

been that is, predictably, Batman. That's why she was so originally infatuated with him, as she: a) could not believe that he resisted her influence, b) was selfless and had no underlying narcissistic motives.

Right, strong independent woman hate men. Yeah, go get yourself some less shitty opinions, alright buddy?

Avatar image for regal_rumble_man
    Regal_Rumble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The word is misantrophist here

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

Anti Humanist: Probably not. Yes, she seems angry at humanity, but she doesn;t want to flat out destory it. Instead, she wants to create a world where plants and humans can live together in harmony.

Sexist: No to that too. She had a loving boyfriend in college who loved her for who she was. And then, of course, there are the male orphans.

this doesnt really rule it out. college was a very long time ago. she's changed alot since then and i know racists who have loved minorities and sexists who have loved the other sex. racism and sexism are more bout bias than hate.

Big Ivy fan by the way.

yeah. we couldn't tell.what with it in your username and all.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@raineffect said:

@Bopper Girl

said:

She's not designed to be

liked

per se, as she was originally created as a villain. What makes her appealing is that she isn't a stereotypical villain; she's just an environmental extremist. If you read Gotham City Sirens, you'll get a much better outlook into why she does what she does. I think she is a great example of a strong and independent female character. Sure, she's got stereotypical sex appeal, but she uses it to her advantage (and as a weapon, of sorts).

As for her opinion of men. She was used by Jason Woodrue, so she believes that all men are basically like him. She believes that all men are just selfish, egocentric power-lovers. The only man she's ever met who

hasn't

been that is, predictably, Batman. That's why she was so originally infatuated with him, as she: a) could not believe that he resisted her influence, b) was selfless and had no underlying narcissistic motives.

Right, strong independent woman hate men. Yeah, go get yourself some less shitty opinions, alright buddy?

where did you get that?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.