Follow

Poison Ivy

Character » Poison Ivy appears in 1955 issues.

A brilliant botanical biochemist, Pamela Isley is a fervent eco-terrorist out to save the world's plant life by any means necessary. She often finds herself at odds with Batman, though they have, on occasion, fought on the same side.

I hate this villain........

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By jointron33

For a Batman villain, Poison Ivy is godawful. She is far too fantastical a villain for a detective, and too powerful as well. On top of that, her potential has NEVER reached in terms of storylines, as despite her being an eco-terrorist like Ra's Al Ghul, she is always just "Plants! Fight! Rawr!" With her power and storyline, she would make a far better Superman or Flash villain. Make her a villain that you love to hate, i.e. an extremist liberal hippie nutcase. She claims to come in peace and love for plants, but instead is just an intolerant enforcer.She tries to destroy cars and power plants, as well as other symbols of the "earth murderers" in the name of helping nature and humanity, not realizing how destructive and backwards she is to society. She would essentially be a hippie/vegan nut/anti-technologist. And please get rid of the stupid relationship she has with Harley Quinn, which just borders on fanfic most of the time.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SupBatz

I very much disagree. Batman isn't just "the detective". Just because Poison Ivy is a bit more on the fantastic side and more powerful than some other villains doesn't mean she doesn't deserve to be a Batman villain.

Though I do agree that she doesn't have many stories in which her full potential is reached.

And I don't see a real problem with her relationship with Harley. Sure, it is sometimesit's a bit too much of a "girl-pal" kind of relationship amongst villains but they usually mix well together.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Gambit1024

@SupBatz said:

I very much disagree. Batman isn't just "the detective". Just because Poison Ivy is a bit more on the fantastic side and more powerful than some other villains doesn't mean she doesn't deserve to be a Batman villain.

Though I do agree that she doesn't have many stories in which her full potential is reached.

And I don't see a real problem with her relationship with Harley. Sure, it is sometimesit's a bit too much of a "girl-pal" kind of relationship amongst villains but they usually mix well together.

Agreed. In fact, I wanna see more between her and Harley.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jointron33

I personally cant stand more fantastical Bat villains. If hes in Jla books, fine(i still hate Batgod), but villains like Killer croc, Man Bat, and Poison Ivy are just......otherworldly. Even in Arkham City, they seem out if place. And that game has a bordeline Liefeldian version of Bane.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jointron33

*had a

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Blood1991

@Gambit1024 said:

@SupBatz said:

Agreed. In fact, I wanna see more between her and Harley.

Agreed as well and I absolutely love Ivy/Harley relations. They just balance each other so well.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

#7  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Ehhh, I don't mind it. Its cool to see some fantastical Bat- Rogues. The regular ones get boring and stale after too long IMO but ones like Ivy, Mr.Freeze and Man-Bat offer perfect changes of pace.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By AtPhantom

I'll note that Ivy's powers and... fanasticness have varied over time. On a basic level, Ivy is just a human who's been through an accident, giving her limited mind control abilities via pheromones and immunity to poisons. Everything else is a result of her chemistry and botany skills. Hardly more fantastic than most of the other Batman villains. In Batman TAS this is toned down even more by removing her pheromones powers. Over time writers gave her the ability to actually control plants with her mind, I think it's because they figured "Sure! Plant lady. Controls plants. Makes sense. Nobody will ever know I never read a single issue with her before this..."

So basically you've good two Ivys. One is a down-to-earth mostly-human-slightly-meta criminal who uses her knowledge of plants to formulate her plans to protect plants and the environment at all costs, as shown in Batman TAS. The other is the fantastic plant goddess which holds dozens of men in her grasp through her powers and has absolute control over plants in her area, and uses those to formulate her plans to protect plants and the environment at all costs, as shown in Arkham Asylum and City. If you don't like one, you don't have to dump the other.

Also, she can be a good enemy for a detective, because her pheromone powers let her be a damn good infiltrator and use people as pawns in a greater game easily. That, paired with her misanthropy gives her a pretty nice seductress/vamp vibe. Something Arkham Asulym go totally right, at least in the therapy tapes.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jointron33

To me I'd much rather see a revamped, V-esque version of Anarky than "Sexy Plant Lady"

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Well Phooey on you =^-^=

Thorion88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Thorion88

The only time I have an issue with Ivy is when she's messing with heroes beyond her own power-level, otherwise she's a damn fine villainess in my book.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

Avatar image for teamunitednerds
    TeamUnitedNerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By TeamUnitedNerds

I personally can't stand her. Female exploitation at it's finest.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#16 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@yellow-streak: watch you language

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#17 MajinBlackheart  Moderator
    Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Spinach Boy: Sarcasm Strange-Dart

How about a male counter-part for Poison Ivy, such as a neo-nerdist male eco-terrorist named Spinach-Boy, a terrorist who poisons supermarket supplies of packaged spinach with a dangerous dosage of a potent hallucinogenic, so as to disseminate a message about the prophetic potluck pedestrian pits?

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.