Follow

Plutonian

Character » Plutonian appears in 78 issues.

Once the world's greatest hero, years of criticism and being feared led the Plutonian to snap. His slaughter of millions and fellow teammates have deemed him the world's greatest supervillain.

Review/Preview: Irredeemable #2

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided
    This is a review I meant to get out earlier.  The second issue of Irredeemable hits stands today and it has already pre-sold out through Diamond.  It is possible you can still grab a copy today.  If not, no need to worry, Boom! Studios will be make a reprint available in mid-June (be sure to talk to your comic shop about getting a copy).

When the first issue hit, I can't really explain what compelled me to pick it up.  I've been slowly getting into more of Boom!'s titles.  I always say you should give other publishers a try as well.  The fact that it was written by Mark Waid was a draw.  There was also something about the cover that compelled me to pick it up.  And I'm glad I did.

In Irredeemable, we are basically thrown into a world that already has superheroes.  Where we come in is when the world's greatest and most powerful hero turns bad.  That's what makes this title interesting.  What about his former teammates?  They don't stand a chance.  How can he be stopped?  That is the question. 

Normally I wouldn't like jumping into the middle of a story but here, it works.  And I like it.  In issue #2, we see some flashbacks in the life of the hero-gone-bad, Plutonian.  Mark Waid just throws in past battles as if they actually happened.  The quest the heroes of the world need to accomplish is to figure out how to stop Plutonian before they are all killed.

People seem to like the bad/evil characters.  There is something appealing about having power and not having to hold back if you don't wish to.  Mark Waid is doing a great job setting things up.  He's delivering a world of heroes and seems to have their backstories already figured out.  The art by Peter Krause is nice.  To me, it has a slight 80s/early 90s feel to it.  That's a good thing.  It adds to the mood of the book.  I'll tell ya, it just feels like this comic is already a classic and I'm checking out an older comic.  Something has to be said about Andrew Dalhouse's colors.  It's not too often I notice the coloring of a comic.  There are a few colorists whose work I admire and appreciate.  The colors  here just work.  They compliment the art and add to the tone.  We get a mixture of bright and dark to distinguish between the events.

Issue #2 gets a solid 4 out of 5.  It's fun.  It's a chance to get in on a hero and 'universe' as the title just begins.  There are questions and answers that we'll have which makes the book all the more compelling.  I am curious where this title will go.  What can stop the Plutonian?  It's definitely worth a look, especially if you want something that isn't your straight traditional Marvel or DC title.

Here's the preview for issue #2.

A comic book industry event: a new original ongoing superhero series from Mark Waid! IRREDEEMABLE dares to ask the question: what if the world’s greatest hero decided to become the world’s greatest villain? Heroes are being picked off one-by-one in a brutal and viscous assault. They never stood a chance – never saw it coming. A small cadre of heroes race against time and space to stay alive and turn the tables. A “twilight of the superheroes”-style story that examines super-villains from the writer of KINGDOM COME and EMPIRE!

Click each image to enlarge:
    the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By the creator

I really like this series.
    Mark Waid is an exceptional writer and the subject matter and tone of the story show allow him to shine.
    I'm interested in the sries subject matter - a 'Superman' type hero who has gone over the edge and who now potentially poses a greater threat to the world than any of the villians in his rogues gallery. It's refreshing.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Media_Master

Sounds like a good "what if tale"

Looking forward to reading it!

Avatar image for twilightthunder
    TwilightThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By TwilightThunder

I did a review when the first issue came out. I thought I was the only one who was looking forward to it. Glad to read i'm not.

negamegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By negamegas

I started reading the series last week and I absolutly Love it. 

An interesting Concept that was pulled off quite nice.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.