The opposite

#1 Posted by Outside_85 (8105 posts) - - Show Bio

While i havent read the Phoenix Saga or any X-Men books where it appears, outside of the crossover with NTT, so I'm pretty clueless when it comes to the PF. 
But as i read it on its CV profile, the Phoenix Force is sort of a Life Elemental, an embodiment of life in the universe. Wich got me thinking, if PF is the embodiment of life, wont that mean that theres a Death Elemental out there as well? An opposite to what the Phoenix is or is both aspects present in the Phoenix Force? Like fire can both save and destroy. 

However i know the list is long when it comes to people who proclaim themselves the embodiment of death, but has the Phoenix itself ever acknowledged anything as it's opposite?

#2 Posted by PowerHerc (81566 posts) - - Show Bio

Not that I know of, but you raise a good question.
#3 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldn't that also be the Phoenix Force?  Like how she became corrupted by greed & desire into the Dark Phoenix...

#4 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14400 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark Phoenix aka the great destroyer is the flip side of the regular  life giving Phoenix

#5 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

The Phoenix is the rebirth aspect but for there to be rebirth there needs to be death so I think Phoenix oversees it too. In Mutant X there was the Goblin Force which was described as an anti-Phoenix Force. There is also the entity Death in Marvel, there's Oblivion the personification of entropy, and there's Deathurge which is an agent of Oblivion.

#6 Posted by Edamame (27944 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. As PrinceIMC said, I believe that may indeed be the Goblin Force as a sort of "anti-Phoenix Force".

#7 Posted by Squares (4867 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty:  Excellent point, but I believe Dark Phoenix still technically achieves Phoenix's objectives and pursues the same ideals, just with the whole 'cleansing flame' approach. It's stated somewhere that the opposite of the Phoenix Force is the Goblin Force, which was most notably seen possessing poor Madelyne Pryor around the time of Inferno.
@PrinceIMC: Oblivion characterizing entropy? I'm probably wrong, but isn't entropy the tendency towards chaos in a system?
#8 Posted by LordOfAllHumans (3909 posts) - - Show Bio

The Phoenix embodies life and death, creation and destruction, the Goblin Force is not canon and does not and has never existed in 616, it has nothing to do with 616 Maddie, 616 Maddie that became the Goblyn Queen was possessed by the Phoenix Force, the part that became Dark Phoenix, it gave her life and powers.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.