NYCC 2011: "It's Coming"

• 52 results
Posted by sora_thekey (8154 posts) - - Show Bio

"New York, New York". Do you feel like singing some Frank Sinatra? That's probably because New York Comic Con is going on right now. Sadly, I am not there to enjoy the awesome geek ride that is NYCC, now that I think about it, I have not been to New York in over five year. I am glad the internet is around to allow information travel to us people who are far away from the "Big Apple".

The Cup O' Joe Panel at NYCC had a few big reveals but the biggest one might just involve a well known "fire bird". CBR.com describes it to those who were not present:

"The recent Marvel teasers saying "It's Coming" saw a bit of a reveal as an image was shown featuring the Phoenix. Whether that means a return for Jean Grey has yet to be seen as the only information given were the names Aaron, Bendis, Brubaker, Coipel, Fraction, Hickman, Kubert and Romita, Jr. At sight of the image, Brevoort said the first step towards this Phoenix story will be seen in the upcoming "Point One" issue the publisher is prepping now."

I guess there is something coming. Will that involve Jean? Who knows, but I bet you were never this excited for a 'Point One' issue since Amazing Spider-Man #654.1 came out a few months ago.

If I had to make an educated guess, based on all the names involved on the teaser, I am guessing this will revolve around next year's Marvel event, once the repercussions of Fear Itself, Schism and Children's Crusade are resolved.

From the pages of UXM #542

The last time we saw Jean was in Phoenix: Endsong but there have been glimpses of the Phoenix Force (and Jean) in the X-Men books recently. Besides the obvious Phoenix/Jean resemblance in Hope Summers, Emma Frost has been having a lot of visions and dreams that involve our favorite 'fire bird'. Emma recently dealt with some psychological manipulation from the Phoenix Force in Uncanny X-Men #542 where it said:

"Scott loved her in a way he will never love you. And she always comes back."

I guess this is even more true now. Plus, I am sure it is no coincidence that "it's coming" shortly after Wolverine's new school, The Jean Grey School for Higher Learning, opens and Jean's "children" (X-Man and Rachel Summers) re-join the ranks of the X-Men in Regenesis.

It has been over five years since Jean returned to the mainstream line of Marvel books, what do you think?

Source / Source

-- Geo (sora_thekey) 24/7 geek! -- Follow me on Twitter: @sora_thekey

#1 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12591 posts) - - Show Bio

Whether you like it or not, we all knew it would happen.

#2 Posted by Mercy_ (92632 posts) - - Show Bio

TOO MANY EVENTS.

And Jean needs to stay either dead or in the White Hot Room. So freaking tired of that revolving door.

#3 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

***spits out her Coke Zero ***

(rocks back and forth, hugging knees tightly to her - I'm not ready, I'm not ready, I'm not ready...)

#4 Posted by _Grifter_ (10936 posts) - - Show Bio

Why can't they just leave her dead?

#5 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:

TOO MANY EVENTS.

And Jean needs to stay either dead or in the White Hot Room. So freaking tired of that revolving door.

What if it's Johnny Storm that comes back as the Phoenix...PLOT TWIST!!!
#6 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

TOO MANY EVENTS.

That's so dumb it's actually interesting.

#7 Posted by Mercy_ (92632 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@TheCrowbar said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

TOO MANY EVENTS.

Points to the Secret Avengers picture with a fiery man.

#8 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@TheCrowbar said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

TOO MANY EVENTS.

OH LAWDY

#9 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12591 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress: @InnerVenom123:

That's Jim Hammond not Johnny.

You can tell because Johnny's face is visible when he flames on but Jim's face never is.

#10 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@TheCrowbar said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

TOO MANY EVENTS.

Could be Toro as Human Torch. I think Jim Hammond is back, too, so...
#11 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grift3r said:

"Phoenix" will never stay dead, not in it's nature.

Regardless of  that Romita Jr., Fraction, and Bendis all suck harder than the girls from 2 girls 1 cup, so this has no chance of being good.
#12 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12591 posts) - - Show Bio

@iLLituracy said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@TheCrowbar said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

TOO MANY EVENTS.

Could be Toro as Human Torch. I think Jim Hammond is back, too, so...

yeah, its either Jim or Toro

#13 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:
@Grift3r said:

"Phoenix" will never stay dead, not in it's nature.  Regardless of  that Romita Jr., Fraction, and Bendis all suck harder than the girls from 2 girls 1 cup, so this has no chance of being good.
You left out Jason "LOGAN IS TEH BEST KARAKTA EVA" Aaron. 
#14 Posted by Mercy_ (92632 posts) - - Show Bio

@pixelized said:

@Grift3r said:

"Phoenix" will never stay dead, not in it's nature. Regardless of that Romita Jr., Fraction, and Bendis all suck harder than the girls from 2 girls 1 cup, so this has no chance of being good.

No, but can Jean please stay that way? >_<

I love you and your analogies <3

#15 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

They should change it from "It's Coming" to, "You saw this coming from a mile away, several years ago!" ;)

In a way, its been a sad shadow for the character of Emma Frost. After a decade of redemption, they keep belittling her powers & actions with threats of Jean Grey stealing Cyclops from her. It's just cheap writing.

The only thing that surprises me is the inclusion in Amazing Spider-Man. Are Marvel going to turn this into a Universe-wide event, instead of just an X-Men event tht doesn't effect any other none X-Title?

#16 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox_kitty
Though it would be interesting to see what Scott's reaction to seeing the Phoenix fly out of the ground in all its fiery bird glory only to find out it's Johnny Storm.

Oh did I say interesting? I mean %^&ing hilarious.
#17 Posted by Michiel76 (182 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah it won't be Jean, it will be Hope that's the phoenix this time around, Marvel hates Jean right now and won't bring her back (at this time)

Best that Jean fans can hope for is that at the end of the event the phoenix force gets defeated and leaves Hope and seeks out Jeans body only to merge with her and then wait for another 5 years before Jeans return.

Besides it would be weird to name a school after her and then resurrect Jean that quickly. (unless this frees wolverine from his headmaster duties and Jean would get that job, one more thought, wolvie is in desperate need of a telepath since they all chose to remain with scott, hmmmmm)

#18 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

Mm. At this point, these teasers are doing nothing for me. Sometimes they push the 'mysterious' (a.k.a. The withholding of information) to the limit... often, it seems the eventual announcement of whatever is going on isn't all that interesting to begin with. While a few of those names are wonderful names... this is just blah for me. Interesting teasers are ones that actually tease something, rather than nothing.

#19 Posted by jubilee042 (1353 posts) - - Show Bio

IT'S COMING..........................................................................another event

#20 Posted by samlankey (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Jean coming back might make things interesting again. Emma was at her best when Jean was around. I would like a team up book with them (knowing Marvel they'll throw wolverine or deadpool in there too).

#21 Posted by treysome (93 posts) - - Show Bio

@samlankey said:

Jean coming back might make things interesting again. Emma was at her best when Jean was around. I would like a team up book with them (knowing Marvel they'll throw wolverine or deadpool in there too).

Finally someone who can look past their ego and see the story potential. And what are comics but stories.

#22 Posted by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

It probably involves Hope folks. Marvel's been building towards this. Remember when Bishop went crazy trying to kill Hope for what she did in his future? Something to that effect might be happening. It would explain why Cable is back all of a sudden.

#23 Posted by sora_thekey (8154 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty said:

The only thing that surprises me is the inclusion in Amazing Spider-Mtn.

What ASM inclusion?

#24 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
@samlankey said:

I think Emma being at her best when Jean was present is more to do with her past writers versus her present. The quality of her character has been on a downward spiral.

@treysome said:

@samlankey said:

Finally someone who can look past their ego and see the story potential. And what are comics but stories.

Past history with certain members of the creative team leave me not excited for this, "story." Does anyone get giddy hearing Tom Cruise is starring in a new movie?
#25 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Bout time.

I mean really, whoever thought she'd be gone forever knows nothing.

#26 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is it that the same four guys write all the major Marvel events?

#27 Posted by daredevil21134 (10945 posts) - - Show Bio

Comeback Jean Grey

#28 Posted by riri4life (7189 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh... says "It's Coming" not "SHE'S Coming" .....pass. -__-  
I don't want a second Second Coming! On the the next event plz.

#29 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

@Michiel76 said:

Nah it won't be Jean, it will be Hope that's the phoenix this time around, Marvel hates Jean right now and won't bring her back (at this time)

Best that Jean fans can hope for is that at the end of the event the phoenix force gets defeated and leaves Hope and seeks out Jeans body only to merge with her and then wait for another 5 years before Jeans return.

Besides it would be weird to name a school after her and then resurrect Jean that quickly. (unless this frees wolverine from his headmaster duties and Jean would get that job, one more thought, wolvie is in desperate need of a telepath since they all chose to remain with scott, hmmmmm)

Well hope only has a shard of the phoenix, so yea it will be hope doing some phoenix terrorizing but im thinking jean is going to either make a full return or simply come by and swipe the shard from hope and return to the WHR. And the phoenix can't seek out jean's body because jean is actually alive, in phoenix endsong she was resurrected and turned to white phoenix and left. So her grave is empty.

I hope gets vaporized by the end of this event because she has turned into nothing but a gun toting brat

#30 Posted by mario_nblc (116 posts) - - Show Bio

YES !! LOVE THIS! I CAN NOT WAIT

<3 JEAN <3

#31 Posted by DMC (1550 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel has been milking this tease for sooooo long. As much as I would love to see the return of Jean (she's not really dead) I'm a bit hesitant to take the bait this time. But with all of Marvel's big writers on this project, this could be the real deal.

#32 Posted by rawr (88 posts) - - Show Bio

@WildStyle said:

It probably involves Hope folks. Marvel's been building towards this. Remember when Bishop went crazy trying to kill Hope for what she did in his future? Something to that effect might be happening. It would explain why Cable is back all of a sudden.

I hope it is Hope. Reeeeeeally do.

I love Jean, Jean was great for decades, but dead is good. Emma/Cyclops/Namor(/Storm?) is not enough drama in the Uncanny X-Men House? It is great how Emma/Cyclops barely ever talk about their relationship to the point where we are all wondering why they are even bothering. They are saying PHOENIX is coming back... if it was Just Plain Marvel Girl I would welcome her with open arms but Phoenix is always trouble and has been done so many times I want to pull my hair out. It took so long to make Emma an enjoyable character (yes Grant Morrison did you did some decent writing for her in New X-Men but you also did things I would love do castrate you for) that Phoenix coming back is just.... Yeeeeeesh.

And every time a Phoenix even happens there has to be death. To the point where it just isn't even sad anymore. Its just "yup Jean's dead again."

Event books are going to be the death of me. We all buy them, they make the most money, and thus they will keep happening. Argh.

#33 Posted by The_Greatest_Username (136 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm hoping Jean returns after this, preferably Phoenix-less. Though considering how requently Marvel teases her return, I won't hold my breath.

#34 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

Atention all able bodied viners please join me in tossing an extra 100 ton's of dirt on Jean Grey's grave

Just in case

#35 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

Atention all able bodied viners please join me in tossing an extra 100 ton's of dirt on Jean Grey's grave

Just in case

O_O she's not dead, she was resurrected already, she's actually been a live for the whole 7 years she's been missing from comics

So putting dirt on her grave is fine but there's nothing in it lol

#36 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

@EnSabahNurX said:

@BlackArmor said:

Just in case

O_O she's not dead, she was resurrected already, she's actually been a live for the whole 7 years she's been missing from comics

So putting dirt on her grave is fine but there's nothing in it lol

.......I...was not aware....let's do it anyway..It will be a symbolic victory *grabs shovel*

#37 Posted by daak1212 (7901 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to have Phoenix ditch Jean Grey for someone else just to leave Jean dead. Maybe it can posses Emma and with her having the PF she can try to get Scott all hornin like Jean can but as soon as he turns her down Emma turns into DP

#38 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10071 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

TOO MANY EVENTS.

LOL...QFT...even though part of me would like to see Jean come back...I too am so over this.

#39 Posted by VinnyWeapons (39 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope it's not Jean Grey. I really liked Jean as a character, but comic book characters need to stay dead when they die. Death in comics has already been hugely devalued.

#40 Posted by DATNIGGA (1186 posts) - - Show Bio

lol emma frost is gonna get left

#41 Posted by cdeoleo (138 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty: What Amazing Spider-Man inclusion are you referencing?

#42 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3720 posts) - - Show Bio

What!? The "end of the world"-Marvel event of 2011, will be ANOTHER Phoenix-story? Hahahhahahahahhahhaaahhahahahhah!

I hope that it will be good. Even if I`m not gonna read it.

#43 Posted by The_Greatest_Username (136 posts) - - Show Bio

@VinnyWeapons: If that was the case, do you realize how many characters wouldn't be alive right now?

Personally, I think death is an overused ploy in comics today.

#44 Posted by psyrax2k11 (42 posts) - - Show Bio

@samlankey said:

I have to agree with this as well. I absolutely love Jean, she's my favorite, so of course I'm all for her coming back; I like Emma as well, I do think she's a interesting character, I see past what half the fanboys out there see of her, which is this over sexed blonde character that I believe is why most people like her, which is ashame. that being said, I think that Emma has been watered down somewhat and having Jean return could rile her up a bit and bring her back to how Grant Morrison and Joss Whedon had her during their runs. I think it's a win/win move on both parts. I also think that when Jean returns, she really needs to stay away from anything having to do with the letter 'X'.

@VinnyWeapons said:

Hope it's not Jean Grey. I really liked Jean as a character, but comic book characters need to stay dead when they die. Death in comics has already been hugely devalued.

I agree with how death has become a gag in comics lately, but Jean is the Phoenix and the Phoenix is Jean (as stated in X-Men: Phoenix Endsong #3) and the mythology of the Phoenix is when the creature dies, it's reborn again from it's ashes. So Jean coming back makes better sense then a character that happened to have been killed by being run through with a sword or ripped in half or having their head chopped off. It's just the nature of the Phoenix, I think a lot of people tend to forget that.

#45 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, so Bendis is writing X Men, too, now? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF--

#46 Posted by longas91 (66 posts) - - Show Bio

@Michiel76: HMM... Maybe that's why he took Quentin with him?

#47 Posted by Wonder Princess (136 posts) - - Show Bio

Phoenix has been a favorite of mine since she was introduced in Uncanny X-Men 101. I deal with the dry spells when she is gone but I love when they bring her back. :) That is the nature of the Phoenix, to continually rise. I really hope Jean returns. This will be fun to watch.

#48 Posted by Roddy010 (5159 posts) - - Show Bio

AWESOME even though I'm obviously late....I'm stoked now for my two favorite X-ladies....

#49 Posted by KDarkholme (337 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay Jean! Cannot wait.

#50 Posted by Whoa (465 posts) - - Show Bio

i miss Jean when she was just... jean

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.