Host, why does the Phoenix Force need one

#1 Posted by Outside_85 (7072 posts) - - Show Bio

As I understand this is one of the things around the Phoenix Force, that it's always on the lookout for a suitable host that can contain it. But I have been wondering, what does it actually need one for? It's not like it (apparently) will die without one, and it appears to be able to do it's thing without one...so what is the meaning behind it possessing people?

#2 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4139 posts) - - Show Bio

Because that's what super powerful cosmic entities would do. They put themselves in a fragile body that can be defeated much easier. At least that's what Marvel believes, see also what happened to the Beyonder.

I am surprised they haven't done this with Infinity, Eternity, Death, or the Living Tribunal, but hey there is still time for them to do that.

#3 Posted by AweSam (7053 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nova`Prime` said:

Because that's what super powerful cosmic entities would do. They put themselves in a fragile body that can be defeated much easier. At least that's what Marvel believes, see also what happened to the Beyonder.

I am surprised they haven't done this with Infinity, Eternity, Death, or the Living Tribunal, but hey there is still time for them to do that.

Spectre as well.

#4 Posted by Outside_85 (7072 posts) - - Show Bio

@AweSam: Well the Spectre has a reason to be in one, even if it is by divine decree thanks to Jesus.

@Nova`Prime`: If I am not mistaken, they did do it with Death hiding in Marlo Jones?

#5 Posted by KDarkholme (337 posts) - - Show Bio

Isnt the Phoenix one of the most powerful cosmic entities in the Marvel universe?

#6 Posted by Outside_85 (7072 posts) - - Show Bio

@KDarkholme: It is...currently half of Marvel Earth seems to be wetting themselves over it heading towards them.

#7 Posted by LordOfAllHumans (3726 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85 said:

As I understand this is one of the things around the Phoenix Force, that it's always on the lookout for a suitable host that can contain it. But I have been wondering, what does it actually need one for? It's not like it (apparently) will die without one, and it appears to be able to do it's thing without one...so what is the meaning behind it possessing people?

The Phoenix looks for a host because it likes to feel and to burn, in it's native state it is formless it touches everything but can't feel, and although it can possess anything I think it likes telepaths the best because of their ability to process multiple sensations from all over the place. It can manifest as a fire bird on it's own, but these are almost always rogue manifestations, it's energy, without something to focus energy, it is wild.

If a Phoenix is manifesting for whatever purpose it needs a host so that it can focus on it's reason for manifesting, in it's bird shape it is usually confused and it just burns whatever until it gets a host to focus as it has no real sentience and is all passion.

IMO

@Nova`Prime` said:

In a way the Abstracts do put themselves in fragile bodies. The abstracts don't manifest in all their glory, they don't manifest at all expect on planes beyond the mortal realms because they don't have physical bodies. When you see Death and Eternity and LT outside of their native realms they are really just M-bodies from the Dimension of Manifestations. Unless this has been retconned.

#8 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4139 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordOfAllHumans said:

@Nova`Prime` said:

In a way the Abstracts do put themselves in fragile bodies. The abstracts don't manifest in all their glory, they don't manifest at all expect on planes beyond the mortal realms because they don't have physical bodies. When you see Death and Eternity and LT outside of their native realms they are really just M-bodies from the Dimension of Manifestations. Unless this has been retconned.

Yes but those are manifestations of themselves not actually tying themselves to a physical mortal being. The Phoenix is the only one that does this, which boggles the mind considering its capable of acting on its own, with the original destruction of some Shiar worlds as prove.

#9 Posted by Outside_85 (7072 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordOfAllHumans:hmm curious, wonder why it doesn't go for empaths then (despite how rare they are in Marvel ofc).

#10 Posted by LordOfAllHumans (3726 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85 said:

@LordOfAllHumans:hmm curious, wonder why it doesn't go for empaths then (despite how rare they are in Marvel ofc).

Good question. IMO Empaths in general seem to be more psionically vulnerable than telepaths. Empaths read emotions, and the Phoenix is already a being of passion, it is true sentience that it lacks and maybe thought reading telepaths are more suited so that it can understand what it feels. Who knows really, but it's always fun to guess based on the material you're given.

In truth the Phoenix was made a force after it was just Jeans power unleashed, so they probably just favored bonding it to telepaths because it was Jeans telepathy that made her Phoenix in the first place. The next people to bond were Maddie and Rachel, both with incredible telepathic potential. So I can see them using telepaths more than non-telepaths.

Dark Phoenix tells Xavier that it was his fault for unlocking her telepathy. Pre retconned she became a being of pure thought (telepathy) and recreated her body (telekinesis), it usually takes telepathy to transcend in that way. Post retconned the Phoenix heard her call, which could have only have gone out telepathically.

#11 Posted by Outside_85 (7072 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordOfAllHumans: Well, I suppose as a psionic entity that is pretty much all knowing, I suppose there are other things than telepathy that could have drawn it's attention onto Jean, maybe it was just waiting for her to let it in? (Kinda like the old vampire story that they cant enter a house unless invited).

That said, isn't it a bit, I dunno, boring that the Phoenix's target-hosts are (till recently) always telepaths, nearly always girls and nearly always red heads? (I know its good reason that it seeks out Jean, her clone and her daughter, but I dont recall it going for Xavier (for example)...guess thats Marvel logic at work :S)

#12 Posted by LordOfAllHumans (3726 posts) - - Show Bio

Jean is really just a piece of the Phoenix made flesh, so it seeks things most like her. What I find boring is that they keep passing it around when it has been established that it was meant for Jean and her children genetically. Jeans entire family was killed because they could potentially house or create others that can house the Phoenix, and now it just takes anybody? What was the point in wiping out an entire bloodline? Phoenix was originally just Jeans new codename, that is why it is associated with her and things like her, it became a force later.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.