Follow

Phoenix Force

Character » Phoenix Force appears in 1612 issues.

A powerful cosmic entity, an immortal being representing the Life-Death-Rebirth cycle, all current and future life, and is the nexus of all psychic energy ever to have existed, to exist or will exist. It has, at times, chosen a host to live within, granting the vessel nigh-omnipotent power. It has the power to create or destroy anything, or everything. The Phoenix has had various hosts, but the most well known and frequent host is the mortal mutant Jean Grey.

Generation Hope: The Groundwork for a New Phoenix Saga?

• 68 results
    Avatar image for StrongProtector
    StrongProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 1

Edited By StrongProtector
             The Phoenix Force has a habit of running into the X-Men.
     The Phoenix Force has a habit of running into the X-Men.

It is one of the X-Men's most persistent threats, mostly because it is a godlike entity that cannot be destroyed. The Phoenix Force has possessed nearly two-dozen characters over the X-Men’s history across several different universes. And it seems to have returned, at least in part, once again. This time in the form of the Mutant Messiah, Hope Summers.

It’s not a question of if the Phoenix Force will make its presence felt via Hope, but when as it has picked several moments to rear its head already. It had its big coming out party against Bastion in order to destroy that threat and save what was left of Utopia. And since then it has been seen deep in the green eyes of Hope as her temper flared some in a meeting with Cyclops in Generation Hope #5. But this is a creature that has the power to both create and destroy, so what exactly is the Phoenix’s agenda this time around and how will it once again affect the destiny of the X-Men? == TEASER ==

The first question you really have to ponder is just how powerful the force that inhabits Hope is because this is not the entirety of the Phoenix force. Part of the Phoenix previously possessed the Stepford Cuckoos and in order to overcome it in the Phoenix Warsong mini-series, each Cuckoo turned their hearts to diamond in order to trap the essence. So is Hope harboring the remaining power, or like the Cuckoos, is this just a small fraction of it? And if it is just a small fraction, where is the rest? Could these “lights”, these new mutants the X-Men are now discovering, actually be harbingers of other remnants of the Phoenix force and why Hope feels so close to them? Is that why the “lights” powers’ are so chaotic at first and only Hope can bring their powers under control when she makes contact with them? 

The Stepford Cuckoos all hold a small sliver of the Phoenix Force within themselves. 
    The Stepford Cuckoos all hold a small sliver of the Phoenix Force within themselves. 

Let us assume though for a second that Hope is the embodiment of the remainder of the Phoenix Force. Is Hope simply the form the Phoenix Force chose to take in trying to reform itself? Could this be the reason why she looks SO much like Jean Grey, the form that the Phoenix is most accustomed to and why she flares up more often when Cyclops is around?

The Phoenix could also have just decided to possess a baby this time around and could be molding Hope as she ages into what she thinks she should look like, which would be Jean Grey. Maybe this was some cosmic sized attempt at understanding life by the Phoenix and so in order to do so was hoping to live a full human life. Unfortunately for her, she spent many of her formative years time-hopping with Cable. If that was the Phoenix’s plan, I guess that was a bust.

The most likely scenario for all this though is probably nothing as deep and this will all simply culminate as the fix to M-Day caused by the Scarlet Witch. The question that arises from this is how is it going to be implemented because it makes perfect sense for the Phoenix to be the reason why the mutant race would rise from the ashes. And only a primal force like the Phoenix could overcome the Scarlet Witch’s chaos magic.

Burn baby, burn! Hope has some fire in those eyes.
     Burn baby, burn! Hope has some fire in those eyes.

Is every issue of Generation Hope going to be her locating new “lights” and bringing them under control? Saving the mutant race one soul at a time? That could work for a little while, but would become boring and tiresome at some point. I can’t see continuing like this for more than a couple dozen issues before we see some major event where either Hope will unleash her full potential and heal a great many “lights” all at once or sacrifice herself and in that noble act serve as the catalyst that once again jump starts the X-gene and saves the mutant race from extinction. And if Hope doesn’t make a noble sacrifice, but learns to control the Phoenix Force, could this be another way for some more recently deceased X-Men to return to the comic pages? No matter what happens, I’m going to be reading any comic that features Hope because she is clearly going to be the catalyst for some major changes happening in the ranks of the X-Men down the line.

What do you guys think? How much influence will Hope and the Phoenix Force have with this go around with the X-Men? Will Jean Grey come back and muck things up? What new and interesting powers should these new “lights” have? Could this usher in a new golden age for the X-Men? Let us know by commenting below! 

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Overlander

Could Jean Grey return?!?

I wouldn't rule it out.

Xyberius13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Xyberius13

anything is possible with the phionex force!!

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By John Valentine

The Phoenix force which was within the Stepford Cuckoos left them in Uncanny X-Men sometime next year. 

I want Hope to go Dark Phoenix like in Bishop's timeline. I want to see the X-Men kill the brat.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By papad1992

Alrighty then... another Jean!! Marvel couldn't deal with ressurecting her once again (since she died like 6 times) so they decided to start from scaatch and mold another one! 

Great mystery there, shes only gonna do one obvious thing: Restore the mutant race.... somehow!! 
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Mercy_

Hopefully not. Fingers crossed that they find something interesting and original to do.....yeah, like that's gonna happen. : / 

waruikumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By waruikumo

We shall see what happens.  Unfortunately, I have little faith in Marvel to thread a plot out consistently this long / as long as this is taking.  They prefer using band-aids on broken legs, rather than splints.  X-Men has been down hill since Whedon's run, which was still a sorta step down from Morrison's.  Oh well, it's a shame toys mandate the status quo, and remove any balls to take chances.

Avatar image for marvelunivers_deleteme
    marvelunivers_deleteme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@Overlander said:
    " Could Jean Grey return?!?  I wouldn't rule it out. "
    its soo obvious she is going to return
    papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By papad1992

Oh and the Stepford Cuckoos lost their part of the Phoenix Force! Also Marvel Girl lost her part and Korvus' sword lost its as well!! This was all before Hope's arrival... maybe her return as a teenager sparked something!!
    GTG12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GTG12

i hope jean grey returns.
    feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By feargalr

Im loving this right now.. but he's right, it can't keep going for long if its just hope meeting a new mutant every week and fixing them, like most of them were fixed without any problem... I also can't help but wonder if bishop was right that she will kill a bunch of humans at some stage, 6 million in a minute or something like that wasn't it? I bet theres going to be some truth to that, Perhaps she'll extenguish those lives to give life to another race of mutants, I can't help but wonder if theres going to be more time travel involved in her life... grow her up a bit more... she's fairly childish at the moment, although I love her stand off ish nature when she's doing the right thing and taking no **** from no one. Anyway one way or another this is going to be a huge story line for ages to come. too long in fact I want it now nagdamit!!!

Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mumbles

uh no...

perry_411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By perry_411

I call her the vogue messiah. The vogue messiah is a mutant of extreme powers who is the new "it" character for marvel. It  was first Cable, then Bishop, Nate Grey, and they will be dropping franklin richards in there soon. How will her story end? Most likely in a flame-out experienced by the prior vogue messiahs.

psyrax2k11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By psyrax2k11

1. Jean isn't going to "muck" anything up; Jean is the Phoenix and the Phoenix is Jean (see X-Men: Phoenix Endsong #3 and #5), I like how that bit of info was left out.   

2. I believe that Hope is a fragment of the Phoenix, which means she's a piece of Jean Grey herself (hence the red hair and green eyes).  I think that Jean sent this piece to earth--to be born human, so that she could save the mutant race, I think Cable knew about this the whole time, I think Jean appeared to him like she did with Emma; which leads me to believe that's how he knew when and where to save Hope when she was a baby.  I think that Jean has been pulling the strings since Messiah Complex, she's just playing her part behind the scenes. 
    thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#14  Edited By thatlad

@StrongProtector The Cuckoo's lost their phoenix force just after the creation of utopia. When scalphunter flew the group of predator x's into utopia the cuckoo's were providing support until the phoneix force left them.  

Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wattup

I'm really tired of the Phoenix Force...hey X-editors...how about a NEW threat other than Phoenix, killer cyborgs from the future, etc.?

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Icon

Love the Phoenix Force

MSBoyd23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MSBoyd23

Hope annoys me. I want Emma to hurry up and kick her butt.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bestostero

Would be nice if Jean returns...and hopefully doesn't die...lol

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Gambit1024

Ugh, just kill the Phoenix. Kill it with fire. 

psyrax2k11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By psyrax2k11
    @xhavoc86 said:
    "Would be nice if Jean returns...and hopefully doesn't die...lol "

Agreed 100%.  Jean Grey is long over due for her return.
    hulk_beyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hulk_beyond
    @psyrax2k11 said:
    " 1. Jean isn't going to "muck" anything up; Jean is the Phoenix and the Phoenix is Jean (see X-Men: Phoenix Endsong #3 and #5), I like how that bit of info was left out.    2. I believe that Hope is a fragment of the Phoenix, which means she's a piece of Jean Grey herself (hence the red hair and green eyes).  I think that Jean sent this piece to earth--to be born human, so that she could save the mutant race, I think Cable knew about this the whole time, I think Jean appeared to him like she did with Emma; which leads me to believe that's how he knew when and where to save Hope when she was a baby.  I think that Jean has been pulling the strings since Messiah Complex, she's just playing her part behind the scenes.  "
    i like ur thinking
    Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22  Edited By Cafeterialoca

I hope she's not Jean Grey.
    I'd feel cheated out of a new character.

Avatar image for StrongProtector
    StrongProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By StrongProtector
    @thatlad: Yeah I forgot about that. I was so impressed by Cyclops amping it up and incinerating half of that one predator in that story that most everything else about that just kinda became background noise. Thanks. 
    EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EnSabahNurX

Honestly i was a huge fan of Hope till she became a mimic, i really want them to do something different with her(meaning not tk or telepathy) but my theory is hope isn't just a mimic but all the mutant powers that were deactivated were stored in her body(noah's ark). So she is  the conduit probably sent by the phoenix to save and store the powers knowing scarlet was going to try to erase them. Hope is also a shard of the PF that was created based off jean(Phoenix's favorite host) and once all the lights are gathered they will release all the mutant powers and will bring jean back. 

That is just a quick idea for hope, it is funny that hopes rag tag team kind of resemble x-men jean is familiar with, like the dude who is basically beast, the girl who is like a young storm with two elements at her control.   The team seams like fragments of people from jean's life.

I wonder if hope is simply an aspect of jean's mind sent to prepare her arrival subconsciously or she's the final obstacle for the phoenix to deal with before it can finally rest in the white hot room and return jean and finally let her live her life. 

Either way Hopes character needs to be fixed cause shes boring or just kill her off in an epic battle with jean or lock the little girl in the white hot room as the new host body for the phoenix or they can have a series with hopes journey with her Lights as they travel the galaxy(like the silver surfer)

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25  Edited By DMC

well hopefully some of your questions will be answered in issue

No Caption Provided
    #6. According to the solicit (if it's to be believed) it's gonna be BIG
    Iron_Lad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Iron_Lad

Still waiting to see if the "Hope is Jean Grey reincarnated" rumor is true or false. You can't escape the fact that they do look exactly alike. Though, you'd think that if she was Jean Grey that their DNA would match and the X-Club would have spotted something like that by now. One thing for sure, she has some connection to Jean.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By SoA

i know its a cosmic entity and all but i just cant stand it therefore cant stand hope. i read messiah complex and everything tying into it , but when they showed hope with the phoenix in her eyes i was just disappointed .the only thing i think that would be interesting is if she does go with the whole evil kill a million humans thing, and the lights would be her heralds , like galactus has silver surfer  

im just sick of the phoenix force and redhead vessels , maybe if it possessed a alien or just someone else i'd appreciate it , hell i was sick of it as a kid when the phoenix saga was on the 90s x-men cartoon (being on for 5 years i think 3 seasons was dedicated to the damned phoenix force uuuuggghhhh)

Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28  Edited By Comiclove5

The Phoenix always rises.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#29  Edited By The Impersonator

The dead always come back to life.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @Wattup said:
    " I'm really tired of the Phoenix Force...hey X-editors...how about a NEW threat other than Phoenix, killer cyborgs from the future, etc.? "
    You mean Nimrod?
    johnnie619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By johnnie619

so this could be leading up to the elf and cable coming back. i sort of miss having jean in the x-men and id like to see her back but part of me would also like to just let her be. i shall be reading to see what happens

bjmorga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By bjmorga

I feel like Hope has been a classic example of how not use the "show, don't tell" style of storytelling. We x-fans have been told just how gosh darn important she is, while there has been little evidence that she really matters. Hope is the new Layla Miller. We've all been told she's important, but I don't believe it yet. I'm just glad she's seemingly gone from Legacy.

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CellphoneGirl
    @psyrax2k11 said:
    " 1. Jean isn't going to "muck" anything up; Jean is the Phoenix and the Phoenix is Jean (see X-Men: Phoenix Endsong #3 and #5), I like how that bit of info was left out.    2. I believe that Hope is a fragment of the Phoenix, which means she's a piece of Jean Grey herself (hence the red hair and green eyes).  I think that Jean sent this piece to earth--to be born human, so that she could save the mutant race, I think Cable knew about this the whole time, I think Jean appeared to him like she did with Emma; which leads me to believe that's how he knew when and where to save Hope when she was a baby.  I think that Jean has been pulling the strings since Messiah Complex, she's just playing her part behind the scenes.  "
    I like what you've came up with there. 
    Munsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Munsu

Yeah, I also find Hope rather boring and kind of off-putting. Even though she is supposed to be so important I just couldn't get interested in her character, and she needs some big changes before I think I can. Also the Phoenix Force thing feels just so overdone. Maybe if they do bring back Jean after teasing her so much I'll look into it but until then I'll wait before investing anything.

Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Wattup

In regards to the criticisms of Hope, I figure we should all give the kid some time. Hell, everyone hated Damian Wayne when he first was introduced and now the character is awesome.

oldgum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By oldgum

I don't want and don't belief they will bring Jean back. They kill her over and over again, because them never known how to make good use of her. Phoenix Force sucks, for its godlike power, but also a vital tool to turn the tide. Hope is cute, the director should make good use of her, not made her a failure like Sentry!

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By Mercy_
    @Cafeterialoca said:
    " I hope she's not Jean Grey. I'd feel cheated out of a new character. "
    This. 
    EmmaGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By EmmaGrace
    @psyrax2k11 said:
    "1. Jean isn't going to "muck" anything up; Jean is the Phoenix and the Phoenix is Jean (see X-Men: Phoenix Endsong #3 and #5), I like how that bit of info was left out.    2. I believe that Hope is a fragment of the Phoenix, which means she's a piece of Jean Grey herself (hence the red hair and green eyes).  I think that Jean sent this piece to earth--to be born human, so that she could save the mutant race, I think Cable knew about this the whole time, I think Jean appeared to him like she did with Emma; which leads me to believe that's how he knew when and where to save Hope when she was a baby.  I think that Jean has been pulling the strings since Messiah Complex, she's just playing her part behind the scenes.  "

THIS! I love it. <3 :) 

But if this does happen, then if Jean comes back to earth then there would be no need for Hope removing the character altogether...
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By JonesDeini

Wait...this crappy titles still not canceled? Heh, go figure...yet I can't get a new issue Black Widow...oh Marvel, you make no sense. 

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40  Edited By leokearon

Not the Phoenix Force again, it was a terrible idea when Kurk Busiek helped Marvel come up with the idea in the 80's and it still is. It is now so repetitive.
    antiterra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By antiterra

The Phoenix Force. Again. Yawn.

Honestly, what are the chances that it would be used in a remotely original and interesting way, i.e. not the usual world-dominating menace that the X-Men will miraculously manage to defeat thanks to some desperate Hail Mary pass and, ideally, some heroic sacrifice from whoever hasn't been killed in a while?

I'd like to believe there's a grand plan for Hope that was mapped out since the beginning, years-in-the-making stuff... but at this point, I've lost all confidence.

The whole "messiah" thing was dodgy all along and the resolution of Second Coming was unconvincing to say the least (as is often the case with supermegaworldshattering events). It's a shame to think that Hope will inevitably be swept into the Phoenix Force legacy, because I do like the character.

Woodclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By Woodclaw

Aside from my personal hate for the whole concept behind Hope (not to mention the useless killing of Nightcrawler becuase the "man of Faith that die for hope"... sad), the biggeest question lying around is not about the Phoneix Force, but rather the continuity.
    Granted the X-Men were always the odd fitting piece in the Mavrel Universe, but during the last years they seem to exist in a different continuity, not only they were pretty much excluded from all the major events (Civil War, Secret Invasion, Heroic Age), but they were given their own little state so that they can exist as a separate entinty altogether.
    And don't get me started about character derangement, during the last years Beast seem to be the only X-Men still acting in character and they have to place him back with the Avengers to do so. How sad is that?

Out_of_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By Out_of_Space
    @xhavoc86 said:
    "Would be nice if Jean returns...and hopefully doesn't die...lol "

:D
    TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By TDK_1997

This is the Phoenix Force,everything can happen.

DarkChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45  Edited By DarkChris

I had a theory about how Hope was born and what her fate is. I think she will unleash her powers and she will restore all the mutants. BUT, a sliver of PF has remained within Jean, she will feel Hope with her new powers and she will somehow wake up. She can't control her body, because the Phoenix Force within her is angry. So we will see an epic battle between Hope and Jean. 

00 Raiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By 00 Raiser
    @antiterra: LOL Yeah this is starting to look like a yawn. Even worse that the Generation Hope story arc has such shitty artwork.
    perry_411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By perry_411
    @psyrax2k11: Why? They fleshed out her character completely. 
    Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#48  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

More Jean More Jean.

treysome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By treysome

I would love Jean to return I would start buying uncanny again.  Though I do like that Hope goes against Cyclops and Emma.  Hopefully this plot doesn't get stretch out for 20 years cause there's really no need.

SigTau123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SigTau123

i have loved all the stuff with hope summers

i hope night crwler get revived  
    phoenix is COMMING

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.