Follow

Phoenix Five

Team » Phoenix Five appears in 136 issues.

Five members of the X-Men who each received a portion of the Phoenix Force after it was accidentally split by Iron Man during the battle between the X-Men and the Avengers over Hope.

The Phoenix Five and The First Class X-Men

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By sora_thekey

I'm wondering something...

I understand why the Phoenix would take Cyclops and Emma Frost (see Phoenix: Endsong) as hosts, but why Colossus, Magik and Namor? The Phoenix Force has a tendency to attach itself to either extremely powerful mutants (omega level to be exact) or anyone who is tied to Jean Grey. While you could argue that Colossus does have some ties to her what about the other two?

No Caption Provided

The only five other characters to be almost as close to her as Cyclops was were the First Class X-Men (Professor X, Angel, Beast and Iceman) and Wolverine. It makes sense for Emma to become a host of the force. Given their present status on the AVX story, it makes sense for Xavier and Logan to be benched of the opportunity to control 1/5 of this god-like creature. So wouldn't it make more sense for Beast, Angel and Iceman be the chosen ones?

No Caption Provided

You could argue that Angel is not himself at the moment, Beast is presently an Avenger and Iceman was taking care of JGSHL... but c'mon! This makes way more sense.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_

This event is laden with PIS, you can't say you're surprised that there's no sensible answer for who the PF chose.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Rickbarry

@Mercy_ said:

This event is laden with PIS, you can't say you're surprised that there's no sensible answer for who the PF chose.

Well, if you go by what they've said there's this grand scheme as to why these five were chosen. We're on issue 10 of 12 so...time's running out, Marvel!

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sora_thekey

@Mercy_: To be honest, I began enjoying the series after Romita Jr. left art duties. I do like the concept of the Phoenix Five... I just think this idea would make more sense.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mercy_

@Rickbarry said:

@Mercy_ said:

Well, if you go by what they've said there's this grand scheme as to why these five were chosen. We're on issue 10 of 12 so...time's running out, Marvel!

Any reason is pretty much going to be pulled out of their asses and go against years of established continuity as to who's been able to wield the PF (or shards of it) and why. Emma I can buy (it's not the full breadth), but there's imo no logical reason that isn't PIS laden as to why any of the others should be able to. A case could possible be made for Magik, but that's pretty much it. Namor...freaking Namor wielding some of the PF? Absurd.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mercy_

@sora_thekey said:

@Mercy_: To be honest, I began enjoying the series after Romita Jr. left art duties. I do like the concept of the Phoenix Five... I just think this idea would make more sense.

My complete and utter distaste for how they're handling my favorite character (Emma) is preventing me from enjoying this in any sense of the word.

(I feel like I've turned into XK with my x-related pessimism)

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sora_thekey

@Mercy_ said:

@sora_thekey said:

My complete and utter distaste for how they're handling my favorite character (Emma) is preventing me from enjoying this in any sense of the word.

(I feel like I've turned into XK with my x-related pessimism)

With the great and noticeable lack of XK we've had on CV, somebody had to... Hehe.

As for Emma... I will always prefer Jean over Emma. So maybe this doesn't bother me as much. I do hate her Phoenix costume though. Couldn't it have been fully white and be done with it? Still, Seeing as how Emma has yet to appear in any of the Marvel NOW teasers I am thinking that maybe Emma will die by the end of this event. Leaving a slot empty for Jean to come back... So it would make even more sense if the Phoenix Five were her original teammates!

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

It definitely would have made more sense if one of the members from the original five were taking the Phoenix Force, but this event just doesn't make any sense on all levels.

kicxka5s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By kicxka5s

the phoenix five were actually supposed to be the five lights. it was explained that the phoenix's avatar is supposed to have guardians who were supposed to be able to take in the phoenix if it's intended host wasn't ready.

basically the only reason why the phoenix five exists is because the lights weren't there, and possibly because Kenji is dead.

StormyWeather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By StormyWeather

@sora_thekey: i always thought the Phoenix force only inhabited telepaths, POWERFUL telepaths, i kno Xavier had the force in the past

No Caption Provided

here is a photo

I always wondered y Psylocke never got inhabited by the PForce seeing as shes a powerful telepath as well, but this was when I thought that it only took telepaths....

OH! it also got to the Cuckoos which reinforced that thought (only taking telepaths) they have no ties to Jean Grey aside from being her students, but no personal ties

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By frozenedge2

Magik was probably chosen because she's one of the most powerful magicians on Earth at the time and she's the ruler or Limbo. Colossus was probably chosen because being the Colossonaut at the time he was extremely powerful as well. I don't know why Namor was chosen though

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.