Phoenix Five are all corrupt but...

#1 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops. I find that supremely tragic.

#2 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

It's unfortunate that Phoenix didn't travel to people with much stronger wills...For instance, Magik is the LAST person I would tempt with more power

#3 Edited by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage:

Cyclops is still trying to do what's best and keep from hurting people. While everyone else is collapsing around him. The man faced the abyss and he isn't blinking. If his persona keeps consistent, he'll quickly become my favorite hero.
#4 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage:

Cyclops is still trying to do what's best and keep from hurting people. While everyone else is collapsing around him. The man faced the abyss and he isn't blinking. If his persona keeps consistent, he'll quickly become my favorite hero.

Understandable.....though Emma already hosted Phoenix before, and proved that she wasn't capable of doing it.....so why did Phoenix go back to her?.....more and more I find myself asking "Why not Rachel?" That's a guaranteed positive Phoenix user right there
#5 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3450 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@TheCrowbar said:

It's unfortunate that Phoenix didn't travel to people with much stronger wills...For instance, Magik is the LAST person I would tempt with more power

Magik has a strong will, though. It's just that it's a will for more power, which isn't helped by having access to the Phoenix Force. I was disappointed with her lack of overall character moments during this event, though.

#6 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with this thread. People keep saying that Cyke is more and more villainous but he seems like the eye of the storm of Phoenix-fueled crazy. He's like a genuine idealist leading a fascist revolution, blind to the injustices he's helping to create.

Edit: If they haven't already used the phrase "eye of the storm" for a Cyclops/Storm event, they need to.

#7 Posted by Daycrawler (552 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@White Mage:

Understandable.....though Emma already hosted Phoenix before, and proved that she wasn't capable of doing it.....so why did Phoenix go back to her?.....more and more I find myself asking "Why not Rachel?" That's a guaranteed positive Phoenix user right there

PF didn't have a choice, that's why. Stark's Phoenix killer just fragmented the PF into 5 so it chose the nearest 5 mutant hosts. Hope was discounted because she was trying to reject the PF. No other options were available.

#8 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

What's worse to me with all the talk the X-men have dealt more with the PF they of all people should've known better but in the end grown arrogant and drunk with power as this event is showing. Now emma is gonna be killed just so Cyke can come out on top as the hero smelling like roses.

#9 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3450 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hareil0079 said:

What's worse to me with all the talk the X-men have dealt more with the PF they of all people should've known better but in the end grown arrogant and drunk with power as this event is showing. Now emma is gonna be killed just so Cyke can come out on top as the hero smelling like roses.

I still think it's funny that Emma forgot her sworn oath to get revenge on the Phoenix so quickly. Oh well.

#10 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@PhoenixoftheTides said:

@Hareil0079 said:

I still think it's funny that Emma forgot her sworn oath to get revenge on the Phoenix so quickly. Oh well.

Right, So I don't feel sorry for her and plus the X-men have no excuses IMHO considering how much knowledge they've known about the PF

#11 Posted by Pwok21 (2249 posts) - - Show Bio

I felt that the infinite comic for issue 6 of AvX was total brilliance using the media, and that it opened up Cyclop's character into a whole new light.

I think he's the only one of the Four that actually understands how dangerous the Phoenix Force is, I mean although Emma swore revenge against it that was purely personal not because it is a massive threat.

#12 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

Emma swore revenge in Warsong

Emma was about to kill the new host in UXM:FI Tie-in

Emma is now begging for help with the PF

Scott if you've notice has been burring himself into his work, almost as if to ignore whats been going on. Each time someone comes to address a situation with the P5 he bury's himself into work, or runs off

#13 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not reading the series so I wasn't aware of this but it makes me proud to be a fan of his......of course it's going to blow up in his face......even more. But still for the moment I'm proud

#14 Posted by SC (12709 posts) - - Show Bio

Phoenix Five are all corrupt but... the writers behind AVX are creatively bankrupt? I think I am playing this game right... 

#15 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC said:

Phoenix Five are all corrupt but... the writers behind AVX are creatively bankrupt? I think I am playing this game right...

The idea of AVX could work it was some bad deployment.

But no. I like Cyke's portrayal in this, he's not a tyrant like the other four.

#16 Posted by JohnnyGat (1561 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@SC said:

Agreed on that part, as far as this story goes it could have been avoided by a simple phone call.

Also same I like Cyke's portrayal here, people keep telling me that "Oh Emma is the only telepath only she has a chance to not be corrupted" and the way they show Cyke here shows that not only was the statement I mentioned false but he has an enormous will. If he were in DC he'd be a Green Lantern.

#17 Posted by SC (12709 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar said:

@SC said:

I agree I liked the older Avengers vs X-Men for example, but also liked it more, it felt less forced and less of a... Marvel seems to be going with the idea that the more accessible they make the stories the more readers will be attracted to pick up and buy the story, but its an outdated model. Thats a model that only really works for mediums like movies and television. The execution could be better but so could a lot of the plot points connecting the stories. For me unless the majority of characters are written well, then individual characters depiction even if good just falls short, because of the inconsistency it creates, I get your point though, just speaking strictly personal preference.   
#18 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclops has gained a bad rep for the last couple of years, but it's him now who is stepping up. Everyone else is crap at handling the Phoenix, and Cyclops only seems to be the one able to handle it.

But seriously, wasn't their whole idea to reawaken the mutant gene or something which has yet to happen?

#19 Posted by 244 (496 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage said:

@TheCrowbar said:

Magik's "good" as a result of regaining her human soul now. So far from UXN, she isn't acting like her usual anti-hero but instead is acting nicer.

#20 Posted by Mercy_ (92629 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that Hope said it best. Paraphrasing here, but she mentioned how she was the one who'd been trained continuously for the purpose of this. Nobody else who is currently harboring it has been trained for it. Heck, only 1/5 of the entire group even has any telepathic or psionic ability, which is a whole rant in and of itself.

#21 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

The Phoenix Five are all corrupt, period.

None of their actions is defendable regardless of of liking or disliking the characters involved.

All of them are victims of a terrible storyline and writing

#22 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1005 posts) - - Show Bio

For everyone saying that Cyclops is corrupt, please explain to me what he's done so far that is indefensible.

#23 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

It's left really vague, we see the crimes of the other Phoenix Five. But Scott seems really squeaky clean. In the most recent issue Hope yells out "You're a monster and you ruined innocent lives"

All I can think of is he ruined the Avenger's lives. And they did come to his house and start this war...so that's on them. I'm really not liking this direction. It continues in 4 weeks but what was Scott's great corrupting/evil act?

#24 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC said:

I agree with this. This event could have been written so much better than this.

#25 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@SC said:

It sucks but I feel I shouldn't drop this until I find out what happens to cyke but I don't want to support such a bad story.

#26 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@SC said:

It sucks but I feel I shouldn't drop this until I find out what happens to cyke but I don't want to support such a bad story.

Agree. It would be interesting to see what will become of Cyclops after this and whether or not he will come back to the Marvel Universe as a true hero again.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.