Follow

Phil Urich

Character » Phil Urich appears in 303 issues.

Phil Urich, was a hero who, somewhere along the line, began thinking the universe was against him, leading to a psychotic break. Formerly taking up the mantles of Darkhawk, Green Goblin and Hobgoblin, Urich is now known as the Goblin Knight.

Urich as Hobgoblin...why they messed up

steeloneil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By steeloneil

I reread the Green Goblin series from the late 90's prior to Dan Slotts Hobgoblin story in ASM and I am surprised nobody has mentioned the major continuity error Slott made. Phil Urich gained his powers in a warehouse when he accidentally stumbled upon some goblin gear and became the green goblin. Urich is different from the other goblins because he gained a "Sonic Laughter" attack after his exposure to the chemicals in the warehouse he found the gear in. The original Urich Green Goblin had a major weakness which was his inability to use his powers unless his fancy electronic Goblin mask was applied to his face. Without it he was a normal guy.  This is where the problem comes in.
         Cut to today, Slotts Phil Urich is able to use his Sonic laughter attack to debilitate, then decapitate Ben Kingsley and assume the identity of Hobgoblin. Urich was not wearing his goblin mask at the time so he really shouldn't have been able to use his sonic laugh. I am curious wether or not this was explained in a previous story that I might have missed or if this was just Slott ignoring an obvious limit to Urichs abilities just so he could use him as the new hobgoblin, 
         Im curious what other people think about changing or ignoring continuity simply to make a story work when it might not otherwise. Is there a place for it, or should creators do their homework and try to stay true to the characters history? 
         With that said, this blog post is in no way a knock on Dan Slott. I have really been enjoying his run on Amazing Spider-Man so far and I think he writes fun spidey stories. I am just curious why he chose to neglect that aspect of Urichs origin.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

#1  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

im guessing phil internalised those powers wich is what drove him crazy
    steeloneil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By steeloneil

I guess that is not a terrible idea, but it is simply conjecture. It would be nice if the creative team explained the rationale behind this change in Urichs powers as well as the change in his demeanor. He was a good guy in the green goblin series. He was mainly using the goblin persona to chase some tail, which he is also using the hobgoblin persona for, but he was still a good guy. why the major change?

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3  Edited By Zoom

Hey you know what's awesome and edgy?  Heroes becoming villains. 

*eyeroll*
    davidnappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By davidnappy

They haven't explained it yet, but I'm assuming the gobln formula that he was bathed in eventually drove him crazy and his powers that he needed the suit for he now has normally.  They did show him snapping in Loners and stealing Darkhawk's power amulet maybe that changed something in him with the goblin formula in him. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.