Follow

Phantom Stranger

Character » Phantom Stranger appears in 878 issues.

One of the most enigmatic beings in the universe, the Phantom Stranger only appears when events of great magnitudes necessitate his direct involvement. Mysterious and all knowing, at one with the cosmos.

Phantom Stranger #0

Avatar image for leonarddreiberg
    LeonardDreiberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By LeonardDreiberg

I'm sure we all know the "secret identity" of the new 52's iteration of the Phantom Stranger by now. What do you all think? We've had hints over the years that he could be anyone from Adam to the first sorcerer to God himself. Even that he might be someone of no major consequence prior to becoming the Stranger. Does your personal religious beliefs affect your opinion of this story-line? What about apocryphal gospels? Well, I guess I just really dove head first with my first real interaction on the site!

Avatar image for theelusivenewreader
    TheElusiveNewReader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It definitely makes things more intresting to me! At first it was hard to root for Judas but as a Christian I like the concept that even he is not beyond redemption. Also, Christian or otherwise, you have to admit that the death of Jesus changed history. My question is this: Stranger sold out Jesus, Pandor unleashed pain and sorrow on to the world, what the hell did Question/Vic Sage(if that is who he is) do?

greenteaforme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By greenteaforme

I found it interesting.

The book itself is bad. But the presented origin for Stranger is one of the very few things in the New 52 I've enjoyed. The entire opening and narration up until page...four? was quite good. I think a lot of it stems from the fact that we really did not know what was going on. Everything afterwards being complete garbage.

I'd like to add that Stranger's origin being Judas Iscariot was stated by DC months ago, so it really wasn't a mystery.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Jorgevy

are we sure he is Judas? I mean it could be but I wasn't sure of it after reading it. Leaning towards it yes, but not 100% sure.

Also, how the heck could Phantom Stranger be God Himself? Adam I could see, maybe.... and the first sorcerer? hmmm.... but I guess Judas is a pretty cool origin story even though Im not sure if it is THE origin

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Durakken

Phantom Stranger 0 sucked is rife with things that are wrong... For example:

Judas didn't know anything of Hell as it is a christian concept that came about long after Jesus' death.

Judas' actions did not bring darkness into the world that had long term consequences...Quite the opposite in terms of DCnU if you take that Christian mythology is real then Judas' actions were required to bring light into the world...

Spectre's origin is ugh...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.