Follow

Peter David

Person » Peter David is credited in 2148 issues.

He is an acclaimed American comic book writer, well-known for his lengthy runs on Supergirl, Aquaman, Young Justice, and The Incredible Hulk.

Why Peter David is awesome. Besides Young Justice, X-Factor, etc

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zoom

"A message buried deep in the Bush thread asked me to comment on Dan Didio's various assertions about "Young Justice" in a Heroes Con interview quoted on Newsarama. First he complained about the quality of the book's sales, stating that a book which features such iconic characters should have far higher numbers. And second he asserted that "Slobo" ruined the character of Lobo.

The aspect that Dan perpetually leaves out of his two-part evisceration of "Young Justice" is that YJ was specifically designed to appeal to a younger readership. That was the mandate from editorial. That's what I was asked to write. YJ was intended to skew young--in its stories, in its subject matter, in its readership--with the notion that it would draw in younger readers who would eventually "graduate" to the older-skewing titles. I was told at the outset that DC neither expected nor needed the book to sell huge numbers; it was aiming at the long-term goal of bringing in new, younger readers. So his complaining about the quality of the sales is irrelevant...not to mention that YJ outsold "Impulse" and "Superboy," both of which were also cancelled, and even he admits the book was turning a profit. So pointing to these iconic characters--characters so "iconic" that DC did away with them--and complaining that sales didn't reflect their presence is really beside the point.

As for Slobo, I wanted to introduce a Wolverine-esque character to stir things up. Since the book featured junior versions of Superman, Batman, and the Flash, a junior version of Lobo seemed perfectly appropriate. A character who was, in his execution and handling, far more serious than Dan remotely gives him credit for (because, y'know, having Slobo go slowly blind was such a knee-slapper of a storyline). And,frankly, I think that a company that raped and murdered Sue Dibny, murdered Blue Beetle, tortured and crippled Batgirl, and had both Superman and Wonder Woman at various times cold-bloodedly murder opponents, doesn't get to say that *I* ruined one of their characters."

PAD (originally posted at http://peterdavid.malibulist.com/archives/004625.html)

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By John Valentine

So true.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zoom

I'm all for anybody giving the finger to Dan Didio.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By John Valentine
    Zoom said:
    "I'm all for anybody giving the finger to Dan Didio."

Joey Q is worse.
    Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Pania

Peter David is awesome in general, but especially when he flies in the face if editorial authority like this. I thought it particularity awesome of him to almost completely ignore Civil War while it was going on, despite the fact they slapped the Civil War label on the X-Factor issues.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By John Valentine

IMO, X-Factor is one of the best Marvel monthly series, and, as far as the X-Universe is concerned, it is on par with X-Force.

Pania, do you like Mike Carey?

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pania
    John Valentine said:
    "IMO, X-Factor is one of the best Marvel monthly series, and, as far as the X-Universe is concerned, it is on par with X-Force.

Pania, do you like Mike Carey?"
    I have mixed feelings about Carey. When Carey is hitting it, he is right on. Most of the time his characterizations are great. But sometimes he warps characters to make his plots work,. He has these little moment in which characters do something utterly out of character in order to advance the story, which can jar my emotional investment in the story. Such as when Beast took a swig of something Dark McCoy just handed him in Endangered Species, that was just a complete "WTF?"

He also seems to suffer from the "Extreeeme angstitude" most of the rest of the M.U. is portraying, but I can't really fault him for that. That's the company direction right now.

But other than those moments, he's good. His books feel like they have a real direction and his stories are cohesive. Some of his creative decisions I have not agreed with, such as Emma reading Xavier the riot act recently in Legacy, but I see that he has some valid reasons for doing it. I may not agree with it, but he has a legitimate argument.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By John Valentine

Do you like Kyle and Yost?

Teen Manatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Teen Manatee

Peter David, in my opinion at least, did a good job in YJ's character development. And I did start reading Young Justice then "graduated" to reading titles like Aquaman, teen Titans, and The Flash. The time of Young Justice was the best part of Bart, Tim, Cassie, and Conner's life, and then they had to either die or go emo (lol). PAD actually did the OPPOSITE of ruin them.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zoom
    John Valentine said:
    "Zoom said:
    "I'm all for anybody giving the finger to Dan Didio."

Joey Q is worse."
    Do we really have to choose which one is worse?  Both have ruined a lot of good stuff over the years.
    Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pania
    John Valentine said:
    "Do you like Kyle and Yost?"
    I liked where New X-Men was going for the last year before it was canceled, but X-Force simply holds no interest for me. I got the first three issues ( I had to when Marvel changed my subscription over), but the entire premise goes against everything I believe superheroes should be and there was simply nothing in the book to help me get past that.

And I really do not like what they did to Rahne. That was just so wrong. Especially taking her out of X-Factor to do that to her. She had already struggled enough without devolving her beyond anything she has been before. I felt like they were running over an already injured puppy, backing up, and running over it again. That's no fun to read.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By John Valentine
    Pania said:
    "John Valentine said:
    I liked where New X-Men was going for the last year before it was canceled, but X-Force simply holds no interest for me. I got the first three issues ( I had to when Marvel changed my subscription over), but the entire premise goes against everything I believe superheroes should be and there was simply nothing in the book to help me get past that."
    New X-Men was a great series, especially when it was written by Kyle and Yost.
    Though, I really enjoy X-Force. Along with X-Factor and New Avengers, it is really the only other Marvel title which I look forward to each month.
    The art is great also.
    Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pania
    John Valentine said:
    "Pania said:
    "John Valentine said:
    I liked where New X-Men was going for the last year before it was canceled, but X-Force simply holds no interest for me. I got the first three issues ( I had to when Marvel changed my subscription over), but the entire premise goes against everything I believe superheroes should be and there was simply nothing in the book to help me get past that."
    Though, I really enjoy X-Force. Along with X-Factor and New Avengers, it is really the only other Marvel title which I look forward to each month.
    The art is great also."
    Yeah, I've heard people say great things about it, that for what it is it is executed very well, but I just don't like what it is.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By John Valentine
    Pania said:
    "John Valentine said:
    "Pania said:
    "John Valentine said:
    The art is great also."
    Yeah, I've heard people say great things about it, that for what it is it is executed very well, but I just don't like what it is."
    That's fair enough, and the premise isn't necessarily going to ever change.
    Still, Kyle and Yost's X-Men knoweledge is far superior to the other current X-writers, save David.

I wish they could find a decent team for Uncanny.
    Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pania
    John Valentine said:
    "Pania said:
    "John Valentine said:
    "Pania said:
    "John Valentine said:
    The art is great also."
    Yeah, I've heard people say great things about it, that for what it is it is executed very well, but I just don't like what it is."
    Still, Kyle and Yost's X-Men knoweledge is far superior to the other current X-writers, save David.

I wish they could find a decent team for Uncanny."
    Me too. It's been a very rough 8-10 years to be an X-Fan and i would really like someone to come in and fix all the bad decisions that have been made in that time.

My dream writer for Uncanny right now would be Busiek, because he has a love of continuity and a knack for fixing it. I'd also like to see Gail Simone on a major X-title to rehabilitate the X-Women and write some great character driven stories.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By John Valentine
    Pania said:
    "John Valentine said:
    "Pania said:
    "John Valentine said:
    "Pania said:
    "John Valentine said:
    The art is great also."

Me too. It's been a very rough 8-10 years to be an X-Fan and i would really like someone to come in and fix all the bad decisions that have been made in that time.

My dream writer for Uncanny right now would be Busiek, because he has a love of continuity and a knack for fixing it. I'd also like to see Gail Simone on a major X-title to rehabilitate the X-Women and write some great character driven stories."

You may not like this, but I really enjoyed Morrison's X-Men, and I do not think a main X-book has been as good since. Even the Claremont Uncanny stint a few years back wasn't that great.
    Gail Simone's Wonder Woman is supposed to be an excellent title, though she writes a solo book: there in lies the problem. Solo books writers are usually excellent at it, a la Brubaker, but they tend to fall on team books.
    I would like to give Morrison back the reins to an X-title, or even hand over writing duties to Kyle and Yost.
    Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pania
    John Valentine said:
    "Pania said:
    "John Valentine said:
    "Pania said:
    "John Valentine said:
    "Pania said:
    "John Valentine said:
    The art is great also."

My dream writer for Uncanny right now would be Busiek, because he has a love of continuity and a knack for fixing it. I'd also like to see Gail Simone on a major X-title to rehabilitate the X-Women and write some great character driven stories."

You may not like this, but I really enjoyed Morrison's X-Men, and I do not think a main X-book has been as good since. Even the Claremont Uncanny stint a few years back wasn't that great.
    Gail Simone's Wonder Woman is supposed to be an excellent title, though she writes a solo book: there in lies the problem. Solo books writers are usually excellent at it, a la Brubaker, but they tend to fall on team books.
    I would like to give Morrison back the reins to an X-title, or even hand over writing duties to Kyle and Yost."

Then you should pick up Simone's Bird of Prey, because that is actually much better than her Wonder Woman. Her BoP run is utterly fantastic.

Morrison, he had some great ideas I agree, certainly breaking up the Scott-Jean thing was a benefit to all the characters involved. But, making Magneto into a complete genocidal nut job aside, I had difficulty with his arrogance toward the title. Like Riot at Xaviers, which essentially proved the point Xavier had been saying all along, and yet Morrison declared Xavier out dated. What the hey? So Morrison is hip and cool for saying what Xavier had been saying all along, but Xavier isn't?

Then there was the Gensohan Massacre, which was...pointless. Supposedly he did it because  "there were too many mutants", then afterward he bumped the population up again to explore his idea of a mutant subculture, completely ignoring the fact that the real mutant culture would have developed in Genosha without the surrounding dominant human culture to influence it. And in destroying Genosha, he removed a real world analogy (to Israel) that could have been mined for stories for decades, while retiring Magneto to the wings.

Which if he wanted to move older characters offstage, for Magneto it had already been done for him. But no, he wanted to remove Magneto "his way".

It was arrogance.

But I do give him props for creating Cassandra Nova. As trite as her origin is (the evil twin), as a villain she is one creepy-bad M.F. She is what the Shadow King should have been all along.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By John Valentine
    Pania said:
    "John Valentine said:
    "Pania said:
    "John Valentine said:
    "Pania said:
    "John Valentine said:
    "Pania said:
    "John Valentine said:
    The art is great also."

I would like to give Morrison back the reins to an X-title, or even hand over writing duties to Kyle and Yost."

Then you should pick up Simone's Bird of Prey, because that is actually much better than her Wonder Woman. Her BoP run is utterly fantastic.

Morrison, he had some great ideas I agree, certainly breaking up the Scott-Jean thing was a benefit to all the characters involved. But, making Magneto into a complete genocidal nut job aside, I had difficulty with his arrogance toward the title. Like Riot at Xaviers, which essentially proved the point Xavier had been saying all along, and yet Morrison declared Xavier out dated. What the hey? So Morrison is hip and cool for saying what Xavier had been saying all along, but Xavier isn't?

Then there was the Gensohan Massacre, which was...pointless. Supposedly he did it because  "there were too many mutants", then afterward he bumped the population up again to explore his idea of a mutant subculture, completely ignoring the fact that the real mutant culture would have developed in Genosha without the surrounding dominant human culture to influence it. And in destroying Genosha, he removed a real world analogy (to Israel) that could have been mined for stories for decades, while retiring Magneto to the wings.

Which if he wanted to move older characters offstage, had already been done for him. But no, he wanted to remove Magneto "his way".

It was arrogance."
    I totally agree with you about the Xorneto thing. I wish Magneto had not been involved in the run, I wish he had been left after the Genoshia massacre until Excalibur where Scarlet Witch began to go nuts. But that cannot be changed now.

The possitives of Morrison's run far outweigh the negatives:

• Afterall, the Genoshan Massacre was just a plot device to show the seriousness of their opponent, Cassandra Nova, and her motives. In addition, Nova is an interesting villian.
    • Morrison molded Emma into a decent female protragonisgt.
    • Xorn was a great character with an interesting
    • Fantomex was awesome.
    • 'Here Comes Tommorow' was a good alternate future storyline.
    • Opening Xavier institute to the public was another great move in terms of storyline, and the characters which he created, Beak, Stepford Cuckoos, Dust etc, were just as interesting. Another thing that I liked about Morrison's characters was that they were not all good looking and in possession of useful powers. Furthermore, they were from all around the world.

Maybe I'm a bit biased, but I find his work to be fresh compared to the likes of the current/recent Claremont work.

Pania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pania
    John Valentine said:
    "Pania said:
    "John Valentine said:
    "Pania said:
    "John Valentine said:
    "Pania said:
    "John Valentine said:
    "Pania said:
    "John Valentine said:
    The art is great also."

Which if he wanted to move older characters offstage, had already been done for him. But no, he wanted to remove Magneto "his way".

It was arrogance."
    I totally agree with you about the Xorneto thing. I wish Magneto had not been involved in the run, I wish he had been left after the Genoshia massacre until Excalibur where Scarlet Witch began to go nuts. But that cannot be changed now.

The possitives of Morrison's run far outweigh the negatives:

• Afterall, the Genoshan Massacre was just a plot device to show the seriousness of their opponent, Cassandra Nova, and her motives. In addition, Nova is an interesting villian.
    • Morrison molded Emma into a decent female protragonisgt.
    • Xorn was a great character with an interesting
    • Fantomex was awesome.
    • 'Here Comes Tommorow' was a good alternate future storyline.
    • Opening Xavier institute to the public was another great move in terms of storyline, and the characters which he created, Beak, Stepford Cuckoos, Dust etc, were just as interesting. Another thing that I liked about Morrison's characters was that they were not all good looking and in possession of useful powers. Furthermore, they were from all around the world.

Maybe I'm a bit biased, but I find his work to be fresh compared to the likes of the current/recent Claremont work.

"
    Well, fortunately, the Xorneto thing was promptly, albeit clumsily, retconned so that the real Magneto did remain in Genosha after the Massacre.

I certainly agree that character like the Cuckoos and Dust were a wonderful additions to the X-landscape, and the Institute going public was an idea who time was due, though I feel that Emma had already been molded into a decent female protagonist in Generation X.

And I also agree that he did bring fresh, if sometime sometime tyranical, ideas to the table, and that Claremont's recent work is not up to the standards he set in his original run. Though X-Treme X-Men was not bad. Not as good as his oringal Uncanny run, but not horrendous. The MechinX story arc was outright awesome.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By John Valentine
    Pania said:
    And I also agree that he did bring fresh, if sometime sometime tyranical, ideas to the table, and that Claremont's recent work is not up to the standards he set in his original run. Though X-Treme X-Men was not bad. Not as good as his oringal Uncanny run, but not horrendous. The MechinX story arc was outright awesome."

My problem with Claremont is that he used to be so good, he himself having written some of the best stories in comic history, but now he is just lame. The frustrating thing about it is that on can see the deterioration in his writing abilties. He's also stuck to the same story styles and methods of storytelling for the last 30 years, and they now just seem dated.

X-Treme X-Men was decent, especially the art, but I do not like what Claremont did towards the end of the series: especially not that god damn awful dragon woman, and the powerless Rogue.  At least Rachel grey came back. Another thing that did not keep me reading X-Treme X-Men was the line-up.....................
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By Nighthunter

Funny thing is that I've heard Didio state that his work is a bad one, blames will always come his way no matter what

Funny, I've never heard a complain against Tomasi when he had that position, neither for O'neil....hmmm

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By Nighthunter
    caption
    caption
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By John Valentine

X-FACTOR, that's why.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.