Is there anyone who likes Penguin??

#1 Posted by Ralph (101 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this character, he has kind of charm (no 'thing'. Puddin is the one and only for me). He scared me when Danny De Vito played him, he was horrible!!

#2 Posted by Odyssey_Dawn (84674 posts) - - Show Bio

You know I was just thinking about this the other day. Back in the day the Joker and Penguin where two of the most famous Batman rogues around. Somewhere along the way he got played by the Big Wigs in DC and pushed to the background. Guess there's no room in the DCU for a fat villain.

#3 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

Ever since I was a kid I never had any respect for the penguin, saw him as a lame villain that wasn't nearly as great as other Batman villains like Joker, Two-Face, etc.

However lately I've realized what a great character he is, he is easily underated and doesn't get enough respect from fans even when he rules the sh!t in Gotham. I think that lately DC has put him in the map again at least in comics, at least in my opinion

#4 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

pixelized says:

"He used Umbrellas as weapons...He's like the original britney."

LMAO

I like the reformed penguin...am I the only one?

#5 Posted by Odyssey_Dawn (84674 posts) - - Show Bio

pixelized says:

Hahahahahaha

#6 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

He used Umbrellas as weapons...He's like the original britney.

#7 Posted by Mighty Magneto (13027 posts) - - Show Bio

Muhahahahahha

#8 Posted by acewasp23 (6087 posts) - - Show Bio

pixelized says:

LMAO

#9 Posted by Virago (1005 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked seeing his ass get kicked, but other than that... no respect.

#10 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

Penguins best moment was when Two Face strong armed him for the poison to save Bats' life

#11 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio
Nighthunter said:
"

Ever since I was a kid I never had any respect for the penguin, saw him as a lame villain that wasn't nearly as great as other Batman villains like Joker, Two-Face, etc.

However lately I've realized what a great character he is, he is easily underated and doesn't get enough respect from fans even when he rules the sh!t in Gotham. I think that lately DC has put him in the map again at least in comics, at least in my opinion

"

i never thought that much of joker or two face either.  i mean these other characters have martial arts masters and super powered villains while batman has a two foot waddling guy with an umbrella, a clown who kills people with a handshake buzzer, and a regular guy with a gun who's all upset because half his face is messed up... wow
#12 Posted by Resonate (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

hey, that guys with half his face messed up can do anything if that coin flips on the non scarred side :P

#13 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

lol

#14 Posted by kgs95 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I do like the penguin. He has an interseting back ground. He is kind of the underdog of the batman villains.

#15 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio
BatgirlBabs said:
"

pixelized says:

LMAO

I like the reformed penguin...am I the only one?

"
reformed?
#16 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio
Apparition said:
"Nighthunter said:
"

"

i never thought that much of joker or two face either.  i mean these other characters have martial arts masters and super powered villains while batman has a two foot waddling guy with an umbrella, a clown who kills people with a handshake buzzer, and a regular guy with a gun who's all upset because half his face is messed up... wow"
more than the level threat they are, it's the complexity of these characters that make them so great for me. Two-face is a fallen hero, he is the living prove that in the world there ain't only good or bad and that not even the best persons are inmune to being corrupted

On the other hand the Joker is a serial killer that follows no pattern, he knows that what he is doing is wrong and yet doesn't care, he has been one of the first and most popular villains of DC and yet doesn't even have an established personality or origin giving the writer an unlimited number of options to use him, the fact that he also doesn't know his origin and doesn't have a one true identity makes you see him as a force of evil that has no limits and can't be stopped and at the same time you can't feel bad for him because you don't know what really made him this way

#17 Posted by Obi Wan Kenobi! (27638 posts) - - Show Bio

Well i like Penguin's new role in Gotham-related comics.  He's become somewhat of a crime lord and Batman goes to him for info at times.  He's no longer the silly gimicky villain he once was, just a bad guy with a lot of power, connections, and money...

#18 Posted by cpt_linger (2902 posts) - - Show Bio

do you remember the scene in transformers when sam and his friend go to that party at the park, and sam tells his friend not to do anything wierd and act cool, so as soon as they get to where everyone else is,  his friend starts climbing a tree...

penguin is that guy.

#19 Posted by ZarkotheFlyingSquidofDoom (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker is undeniably awesome and terrifying, don't get me wrong, but I have always liked Penguin. Why? Because Penguin provides the comic relief in an otherwise grim and gritty world. With maniacs like Joker and Two-Face running around, sometimes we need a Penguin to laugh at.

#20 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

Two-face is the man...

#21 Posted by Lunacyde (18452 posts) - - Show Bio
cpt_linger said:
"do you remember the scene in transformers when sam and his friend go to that party at the park, and sam tells his friend not to do anything wierd and act cool, so as soon as they get to where everyone else is,  his friend starts climbing a tree...

penguin is that guy."

Loved that scene....Simple yet funny.
#22 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio

Penguin is by far one of the most annoying,goofy,and useless villains ever.

#23 Posted by G-Man (31791 posts) - - Show Bio

It's like some writers want to try to make him a more formidable foe but then they seem to give up.  He has his club that he hangs out in.  He runs his little empire.  He uses scare tactics on this thugs.  Then Batman comes and wipes the floor with him, not caring if he is reformed or not (he's obviously not).  I wish if something were going to be done, they'd really put some thought into it.  Either that or get some consistency with the writers.

Staff Online
#24 Posted by Nahero (9915 posts) - - Show Bio

i though he was really good in "The Batman" cartoon series but he always had three fingers in all his incarnations what is that a birth defect? XDDD

#25 Posted by Thespirit (120 posts) - - Show Bio

i always liked the penguin because i always like mobster characters, and penguin defines it.

#26 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
Thespirit said:
"i always liked the penguin because i always like mobster characters, and penguin defines it."
Hammerhead is the best mob character
#27 Posted by Class Clown (311 posts) - - Show Bio
geraldthesloth said:
"Thespirit said:
"i always liked the penguin because i always like mobster characters, and penguin defines it."
Hammerhead is the best mob character"

deff
#28 Posted by Lunacyde (18452 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Kingpin

#29 Posted by NightFang (9962 posts) - - Show Bio
geraldthesloth said:
"Thespirit said:
              The best mob boss is Black Mask and the Penguin is the now big fish in Gotham.
#30 Edited by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
geraldthesloth said:
"Thespirit said:

Not even.  His own men don't respect him.  When you get beat up by your own hired muscle (Tombstone), you are not to be respected as a mob boss.  No, like the great majority of Spider-Man villains (Kraven, Octopus and Green Goblin being the biggest exceptions), Hammerhead sucks.

Penguin on the other hand, is greatness.  He may not be the most excentric batman baddie but he's the most resourceful.  He rules Gotham's underworld, spends all his time chillin in his own club, thrives even in no man's land and gets his enemies back in spades.
#31 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry man its just an opinion

#32 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, you're free to have an opinion.  Just like everybody on the internet is free to bash that opinion. ;-)

#33 Posted by Lunacyde (18452 posts) - - Show Bio
Zoom said:
"geraldthesloth said:
"Thespirit said:

Not even.  His own men don't respect him.  When you get beat up by your own hired muscle (Tombstone), you are not to be respected as a mob boss.  No, like the great majority of Spider-Man villains (Kraven, Octopus and Green Goblin being the biggest exceptions), Hammerhead sucks.

Penguin on the other hand, is greatness.  He may not be the most excentric batman baddie but he's the most resourceful.  He rules Gotham's underworld, spends all his time chillin in his own club, thrives even in no man's land and gets his enemies back in spades."

I donno ...I think Kingpin beats Penguin
#34 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

forgot

You win

here

#35 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
Lunacyde said:
"I donno ...I think Kingpin beats Penguin"

Possibly.  Kingpin is another one of the few really good Spider-Man villains.
#36 Posted by Odyssey_Dawn (84674 posts) - - Show Bio

I kinda like him. The movie version was an abomination. But he did kick the sh!t outta Spoiler. Thats gotta count for something.

#37 Posted by Lunacyde (18452 posts) - - Show Bio

Penguin was always interesting IMO

#38 Posted by Djinn (778 posts) - - Show Bio

hes worthless and should never been created and should be killed and put out of dc comcis history a pointless character 

#39 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio

he is ok, there is more the can do with him ( same can be said for a lot of characters)

i do give him credit for having a hand in making one of my favorite villains Mr. Zsasz

#40 Posted by mega mage (25 posts) - - Show Bio

if pengi was a skinny dude i think he would be alot better liked because he would be able to kick and punch properly.But then again in "the batman" tv show he does his own little style of kung-fu and flips and stuff wich looks pretty cool

here he is about to swing his umbrella up and wack batsy in the chin followed by a backflip kick thing

#41 Posted by Galamoth (43 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the Penguin. He's a total pimp, dudes got a flamethrower in his umbrella!

#42 Posted by Icarusflies (12485 posts) - - Show Bio

I sure don't like him!

#43 Posted by Dr. ? man (154 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always felt like the Penguin was more of an annoyance than an actual threat to Batman. Even when he was a hands on criminal, he never came across as a dangerous foe because 2/3 of his crimes were silly. Even when things became darker in Batman's world, I never really bought into the Penguin as a big time crime lord because I find it hard to believe that any of the organized crime families would take a short, fat, waddling man who squawk like a bird and carry around multi-colored umbrellas seriously. Especially when you take into account that Gotham is suppose to be hell on Earth, I can't see anyone like the Penguin being in command of anything because he's not chaotic enough.  I know the general rule with the Penguin has always been that appearances can be deceiving but for someone of the Dark Knight's caliber, I beg to differ. The Penguin strikes me as the kind of adversary Batman graduated from years ago.

#44 Posted by comicguy9 (80 posts) - - Show Bio

hes weird but intresting
#45 Posted by MadHatter2 (92 posts) - - Show Bio

You are all forgeting BTAS. In the episode birds of a feather (ep. 52) He get's bailed out of prison, falls in love, and beats the living spit out of some gangsters. He didnt use the gadgets in his umbrellas. His origin is like the ultamite misunderstood character, and some of us can relate in some way to it. Plus he is the only succesful villian in Gotham that Batman can't get to. Gotta say he is the best. After all, he runs gothams underworld. He is short fat and has a small obsession of birds.

#46 Posted by Hatutzeraze (269 posts) - - Show Bio

The Penguin rules. He brings variety to Batman's rogues.

#47 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2218 posts) - - Show Bio

The Penguin needs to be used more as a crime lord.

#48 Posted by Dm225 (298 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a fan of the new Emperor Penguin. Does that count?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.