Follow

Oya

Character » Oya appears in 869 issues.

Oya (Idie Okonkwo - pronounced "Ih-Dee-Yeh Okonkwo") is a young Nigerian girl who gained her powers post M-Day. She is one of the Five Lights and the third member that Hope activated. She is currently enrolled at the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning.

Does anyone else hate Idie now?

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Cafeterialoca

I mean, in Generation Hope, she came off as funny but tragic, and I thought there was more going for the character, but ever since Schism and Wolverine and the X-Men, she's become so one note. "We're Monsters now!" she says repeatedly with a grin on her face. It's just frustrating because she went backwards in development.

Also, I really hope she's not the only Light to stick around post AvX and such. That would bug me.

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

@Cafeterialoca:As of right now she's a secondary character in WatXM, and Jason Aaron seems to right secondary characters as one note. I'm pretty sure Jason Aaron will do something with her soon.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Kairan1979

I don't hate her. I pity her poor misguided soul.

Weapon-Alpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Weapon-Alpha

Yeah her whole We're monsters and our DNA is evil and we are all killers blah blah blah Really bugs me like seriously you really think that you and all your friends are Monsters? and your ok with thinking that? another thing is that why isn't anyone trying to correct her? i mean she is at a school that teaches and tries to get the idea to regular humans that they aren't monsters or demons but she will straight out say it?

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By xerox_kitty

I prefer her now she's not one of Hope's yes-men-type slaves. She's more fun, especially when she first met Quentin Quire. I enjoy her Twitter account too :)

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By AgeofHurricane

How the hell could anyone hate the girl who singlehandedly stopped Wolverine from appearing in multiple titles across the X-Franchise ? Idie Okonkwo saved us all.

To add her whole "We're all monsters" stance, she's Nigerian, a strong one at that, you can't blame her. It's perfectly normal from her perspctive.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By frozenedge2

I like Idie now that she's been separated from little miss arrogant. And you have to remember where she grew up and the way she was treated, I'd think it would take awhile for her mentality about mutants to change. Maybe during Wolverine and the X-Men she'll finally stop thinking of herself and other mutants as monsters.

Avatar image for thestepfordcuckoos
    thestepfordcuckoos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xerox_kitty: Same. I think a lot of people could do with the influence of Hope.

@Cafeterialoca:

I find Idie hilarious if not one of my fav. characters that has come along in the past few years. I think it's good to see someone (Idie) with a different view of herself and the world. Not everyone can be happy that there a mutant. Especially with Idie religious up bringing I don't think that work properly. I think it's perfectly normal from her perspective to be the way it is. Plus it makes for a better character as it gives her someone to come to terms with in the future. Also I like that she's from under the shadow of Hope and with children that can higher her views of the world and herself. Personally I don't see now anyone could hate her.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#9  Edited By xerox_kitty

It's fun to see how so many guys seem to have a crush on her, but she's either oblivious, hates them or hates herself ;)

TheOlympian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheOlympian

im confused on this new perm she's sporting especially since the other black women are Frenzy (with the impractical half-do) and Bling! (with diamond hair). They should definitely consult some black women about black hair. A true African 'fro to bangs is not that simple...

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@TheOlympian said:

im confused on this new perm she's sporting especially since the other black women are Frenzy (with the impractical half-do) and Bling! (with diamond hair). They should definitely consult some black women about black hair. A true African 'fro to bangs is not that simple...

It's called artist's rednition's. Have a problem with black women sporting hairstyles other than the common fro' ? I suggest you go consult your local hairsalon.

TheOlympian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheOlympian

@AgeofHurricane: No, I don't have a problem with black women's hair aside from the natural styles. I do, however, have an issue with consistency and the likelihood of her having a perm. Next time read my comment before issuing a snarky rebuttal.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I'v hated her from day 1

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@TheOlympian said:

@AgeofHurricane: No, I don't have a problem with black women's hair aside from the natural styles. I do, however, have an issue with consistency and the likelihood of her having a perm. Next time read my comment before issuing a snarky rebuttal.

Like i said before, artist's renditions. Not her choice, this new hairstyle of hers hasn't even been referred to be the character herself or other characters as a matter of fact. My apologies.

MichonneHack27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By MichonneHack27

Hmm I don't hate her. I've seen worst characters(but thats my opinion). She's not my top favs but I haven't gotten into the Lights story. I like her more than Gabriel right now*shrugs*.

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Based on the tone of the title, I think you have to take everything said and done with a grain of salt. The book is borderline silly and bright and I would expect little that happens in it to be relevant to the future once the X-Men unite again in the future.

- Considering how many characters they have to fit in the book, there is not much screen time to much more with her than what you see.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.