Is Orion DC's New Wipping Boy?

#1 Posted by DarkKnight96000 (726 posts) - - Show Bio
Superman #20
#2 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

Um...he's the Dog of War...fighting is his thing.

#3 Posted by KnightRise (4762 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, if I were buying those comics for Supes and WW respectively, I wouldn't want to see Orion show up and totally them. Hopefully he'll still be treated as a Top Dog (pun intended).

#4 Posted by ogg927 (139 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't Orion as powerful as Superman, Wonder Woman and Darksied? I think that they just wanted a big throw down with the heavy hitters?

#5 Posted by JohnnyGat (1578 posts) - - Show Bio

Now we need a cover where Batman punches him and the trinity is complete

#6 Posted by Decoy Elite (29923 posts) - - Show Bio

He better not be losing these fights easily.

Orion is the kind of hero that really fits when it comes to fighting other heroes so it's understandable to have him face off against WW or Supes.

#7 Posted by BlackWind (7188 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't be surprised. I wasn't impressedd with new 52 Darkseid. And Cyborg being able to integrate New God tech into his systems? Please!

If Orion is getting punked by Wonder Woman and Superman, its the New Gods mythos that's being dissed.

#8 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@JohnnyGat said:

Now we need a cover where Batman punches him and the trinity is complete

Oh Lord, this please! Even if it flies in the face of all established logic, we need a cover of Batman owning a New God!

But in all seriousness, if Orion does turn out to be DC's whipping boy, I'll be a little miffed. Always been a big fan of the character, and this guy is suppose to be one of the premier powerhouses in the Fourth World. Of course, everything's still unrevealed as of now, so I'll hold off judgment till them.

#9 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

He didn't actually do anything yet, you know. Those covers are just that, covers. All you can get from them is that apparently, his helmet is pretty fragile.

#10 Posted by entropy_aegis (15438 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackWind said:

I wouldn't be surprised. I wasn't impressedd with new 52 Darkseid. And Cyborg being able to integrate New God tech into his systems? Please!

If Orion is getting punked by Wonder Woman and Superman, its the New Gods mythos that's being dissed.

Agreed Johns depiction of the Apokolips Gods sucked.

#11 Posted by Billy Batson (58309 posts) - - Show Bio

How about waiting for the issues to come out.
BB

#12 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15127 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

How about waiting for the issues to come out.
BB

Blasphemy!

#13 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

For what it's worth the New 52 Orion has given us what is perhaps my favorite comic scene in the last few years:

#14 Posted by Billy Batson (58309 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom:

Haha, yes.
BB

#15 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

All I get from this is Supes and WW are good at breaking helmets. Hope he buys them in bulk.

#16 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like Orion needs to use inertron helmets instead of cheap plastic helmets. Maybe dc discriminates against gods who have no regular title.

#17 Posted by MrDirector786 (43641 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

For what it's worth the New 52 Orion has given us what is perhaps my favorite comic scene in the last few years:

lol

#18 Posted by BlackWind (7188 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

I refuse to acknowledge this person as Orion.

#19 Posted by sinestro_GL (3322 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably one of those covers that have nothing to do with the issue

#20 Edited by Frobin (97 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, I know ... to demand something even close to continuity is so very old-fashioned nowadays (and DC doesn't care at all, though I'm pretty sure they will regret it sooner or later). BUT at least a little bit coherence at least in this new 52verse would be nice.

Since Darkseid attacked Earth and the Justice League fought him back (to his dimension) ... as we can assume, he's not from Earth and not really of this universe (more from some kind of New Gods dimension). He enters this world through Boom Tubes ... since Cyborg merged with the Motherbox technology, he can control these Boom Tubes ... they won, because he closed the Boom Tube (and therefore the supply and entrance to Earth). I assume Cyborg still controls the Boom Tubes to Earth or at least would recognize any Boom Tube near.

So - if the origin of this Orion is still related to Darkseid and the New Gods (and not totally like the senseless shells of Wildstorm characters) - HOW can Orion be on Earth? How he got here? Why would he just be around?

It's totally senseless in my opinion. Or did I miss something (since I don't read Wonder Woman).

Anybody has answers to this?

#21 Posted by JuliusTakalua (316 posts) - - Show Bio

All right everyone, any big Orion fans are gonna rage hard for this.

Orion got canned by First Born in the new WW issue. Great issue but still.... He just got ass whooped.

This is the defining moment of the new whipping boy.

#22 Edited by DEADPOOL (2638 posts) - - Show Bio

@juliustakalua said:

All right everyone, any big Orion fans are gonna rage hard for this.

Orion got canned by First Born in the new WW issue. Great issue but still.... He just got ass whooped.

This is the defining moment of the new whipping boy.

Did better than Wonder Woman though, and she used her full power. Did Orion even go into rage mode?

They were using WW and Orion as Worfs to hype Firstborn. That's all. He's still as powerful, or more powerful, than WW or Supes.

#23 Posted by JuliusTakalua (316 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadpool: But Orion>SupesandWW

Shouldn't the son of DS and the scion of HF be more powerful than the first born of Zeus? Just saying....

First Born hasn't shown us much other than fighting a mediocore fight (not enough pages IMO) and taking down WW twice. And WW was not fighting with full capabilities and skill and intelligence for the most part.

I think that to spice things up, mix DS with FB. If FB turns out dead (I doubt he is, WW spared to finish him) then DS could take his power and then recreate or revive FB to serve him or something and in turn FB kill Orion...

#24 Posted by DEADPOOL (2638 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadpool: But Orion>SupesandWW

Shouldn't the son of DS and the scion of HF be more powerful than the first born of Zeus? Just saying....

First Born hasn't shown us much other than fighting a mediocore fight (not enough pages IMO) and taking down WW twice. And WW was not fighting with full capabilities and skill and intelligence for the most part.

I think that to spice things up, mix DS with FB. If FB turns out dead (I doubt he is, WW spared to finish him) then DS could take his power and then recreate or revive FB to serve him or something and in turn FB kill Orion...

Yeah, the son of Darkseid should be more powerful.

Firstborn hasn't been impressive, really just a hyped barbarian.

Wait, did you just say that Firstborn should kill Orion???

#25 Posted by JuliusTakalua (316 posts) - - Show Bio

BUMP

Hey everyone!! Orion is a frat boy who always gets whooped! Did ya see him in the new WW? DAFAAQ??

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.