gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Let’s begin this one with how great the art looks. Mike Deodato’s art and Frank Martin’s colors have been great. Starting off with a flashback days before the Watcher’s death is a visual feast. The look of the flashback along with the energy pouring off Uatu looks amazing. During this final conversation, the stunned look or anger on characters really conveys the mood of the moment. One of the things I really love about this story is the consistency of the art team throughout the entire run.

As Jason Aaron runs us through the end of the story, we see battles on different fronts. You can feel the build up as it’s all headed towards the end. You know things won’t end well for some and as the answers get closer, you almost start to fear what might be revealed. We do get to see what happened to Uatu. It is heart-breaking in a way. This is a character that’s been around longer than I’ve been reading comics. It’s not something I imagined I’d ever see but I can appreciate how the events played out and why it went down this way.

Often in these sort of big comic book events, you’re left with the feeling that not a whole lot happened. There’s usually a lot of build up with the story slowly leading into the next event. With this one, we do have some consequences. You can see how some characters have changed through the whole experience. Obviously Thor is now dealing with some big issues. Steve Rogers won’t be sure what to think about the secrets one of his best friends kept from him for years. And it might not be the biggest secret but one character in particular will be going down a new path. Tough choices had to be made.

The Bad

We’re used to the roles of characters mainly staying the same. With some of the changes, we’ll have to wait to see how things continue to develop for those characters. When it comes to characters we’re attached to, it can be difficult to accept changes be made unless there are worthy reasons.

Some of the answers we get are satisfying. There is still a tiny big of confusion. Looking back at the entire story, there were moments where things went a little slow. That time could have been used to push the story more or used to give us more of a look at the aftermath and consequences. Everything pretty quickly just comes to an end. We’re seeing a handful of heroes taking in everything that just went down. It would be nice to see how this will affect them and how much they’ll keep to themselves and how much they’ll share with the others in their lives. There are some characters that feel like they’ve just shrugged off the events. There’s a lot of characters so hopefully we’ll see more follow up.

Also, after eight issues, I'm not 100% clear on what Doctor Midas' motives were. Just about power? Okay. The big thing for me is the fact that this is the end of Uatu's story. It feels a little empty with what we saw in the first issue or even the prelude in the pages of NOVA. What about his recent condemning of Hank McCoy? We started seeing the Watcher become a little more human and it feels as if his death was just to shake things up a little for a couple characters. But the Watcher's mate, Ulana, had his kid, right?

The Verdict

Comic readers have become very skeptical over comic book events lately. ORIGINAL SIN had some ups and downs but overall, it’s been an intriguing story. The Watcher was a character we all took for granted over the years. The idea of the knowledge and power he contained was never really explored. This final issue delivers the answers we’ve been waiting for and does shake up the status quo for some characters. This is what we want and expect in big events. Mike Deodato and Frank Martin have done an amazing job throughout the entire series. To further show the impact of the story, I actually really want to know what’s going to happen next for a lot of the characters. There may have been some pacing issues during the story but ORIGINAL SIN has been a satisfying read, for the most part. It’s a story I’ll likely want to read again, especially to look at Deodato's art some more. I’m a little concerned for what happens next for some characters and that’s a testament for Jason Aaron pulling me into the story and making me care.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

I swear this was the single worst issue I have read all year. The only redeeming factor is that it was kind of funny when everything was finished and the Avengers realized they completely forgot about Thor.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

I have to agree on the points of Midas; what was his contribution to the actual story exactly? For that matter, who was he?

And despite it being mentioned within, I am not really sure why there's still being maintained a wall of silence about it all.

All in all, not really the ending I was hoping for.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Ended about like I figured it would. Just hoping Bucky's new solo is good...

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By SmashBrawler

@saren said:

The only redeeming factor is that it was kind of funny when everything was finished and the Avengers realized they completely forgot about Thor.

That was hilarious, especially the implication that he was trying to pick up his hammer through the entire issue.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Lvenger

So Original Sin #8 completely contradicts itself on the ridiculous Unworthy Thor gimmick. In one panel, we see Thor with Mjolnir in his hand

No Caption Provided

And in the next, he's trying to haul it out of the ground again.

No Caption Provided

It's nice to see that Marvel totally values consistency on their own inflated PR stunts that they forget to have the artist not to draw Thor with Mjolnir in hand.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IIRC, Uatu's child has already been born.

Thor_Donar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Thor_Donar

After the conclusion of this event, we all can see that the original plan wasn't to make Thor unworthy in this event, in issue 8 there is a panel after the supposedly dead of Nick Fury, where Thor is holding mjolnir in his hand again!

This was to forced to replace the character with no logical explanation!

In my personal opinion this is one of the worst events from marvel in the last years.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Someone spoil me? There is no comic store around here (Not even a Barnes and Noble :'[)

czechoslovakia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so is marvel doing Cain and Abel next or what

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Jphu8414

Haha they left Thor behind and he was STILL trying to pick up his hammer lol

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was predictable.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So... WHO SHOT THE WATCHER?!

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By micah007123

@thecheesestabber said:

Someone spoil me? There is no comic store around here (Not even a Barnes and Noble :'[)

Comixology.com, should solve that problem.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nick Fury

I flipped through the book in the store in an attempt to find out what made Thor unworthy. I learned that instead.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor.

He was sleepwalking.

Now because of that he is unworthy.

Aliltron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 16

What secret was Steve Rogers friend hiding from him again? I think I missed that

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_donar: Yes, cause there is no possible way they just overlooked it/mistakenly used it.

I swear you guys are acting like he went around beat a bunch of people with the hammer then remembered he couldn't use it. It's literally 1 panel where he's just standing there.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@xwraith

Have they revealed what made him unworthy?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: I didn't see it. If it's not in here, I'm pretty sure they're going to make us wait until the first issue of the new volume of Thor.

KouNurasaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecheesestabber:

Basically:

Midas and his gang stole one of the Watcher's eyes. Midas is killed, his daughter escapes with his severed hand (which apparently still has some kind of power) and Orb is superpowered at the end, and still crazy.

Cap doesn't know who to trust. Black Panther and Dr. Strange are considering whether they should tell what they know and learned about Nick.

Thor is still unworthy.

Bucky apparently becomes the new galaxy killer like Nick was.

Nick killed Utau and took his remaining eye at the beginning of the story.Also, Nick appears to have died in the fight with Midas, but now he seems to be the new Watcher, and that is his punishment for killing Utau.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did Nick Fury actually deserve all this crap that's been happening to him in Marvel.

Thor_Donar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Thor_Donar

@feartheliving said:

@thor_donar: Yes, cause there is no possible way they just overlooked it/mistakenly used it.

I swear you guys are acting like he went around beat a bunch of people with the hammer then remembered he couldn't use it. It's literally 1 panel where he's just standing there.

To me the problem is that "He's just standing there" where is the drama? isn't he unworthy after O.S. 7 events? Even the reaction of the other avengers in that panel doesn't fit the past events, in my personal opinion this is very forced to replace the character and wasn't planed from the beginning, i think Aaron could tell a much better story, and to me he lost credibility with the original sin event.

Avatar image for marcosvergara14
    MarcosVergara14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Back in issue #3 I remember people saying this was one of the best Marvel eventns since Civil War. Now it's just another overprice lackluster mini-series

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Infinty seems to still be better.

Kerrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Infinty seems to still be better.

It was. Also ended kind of meh, though, which is a problem with a lot of recent Marvel events.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who else knew that Bucky would take up his role?

Also there is an inconsistency with the timeline. Think about it. Thor is unworthy now, and in the most recent Captain America book he was still wielding Mjlonir. So does that make any sense? How is he worthy then, but not now. It can't have happened after the story because Cap is still young in this. So when exactly does all of this fit in? And When did Spider-Man have enough time to get Silk and go to Space, or when did Thor and Loki go to the 10th dimension in this timeline?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: that one panel shows how much marvel doesn't care about this. Its supposed to be a big thing was they just forget??!! Thor losing his hammer here was done as an afterthought.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was loving this series through and through but this last issue sucked.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved this up until it became a Nick Fury story and all the other characters became background characters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They made this event to get rid of nick fury. Theres always some ulterior motive when DC or marvel does a big event.

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By Rainja

@saren: LMAO. To me, This is the most horrible event after Age of Ultron.Well im glad this rubbish is over.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@saren said:

I swear this was the single worst issue I have read all year. The only redeeming factor is that it was kind of funny when everything was finished and the Avengers realized they completely forgot about Thor.

For real?

Thor_Donar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Thor_Donar

@kivatt: in think the events of the tenth realm are before O.S. 6,7,8, (5.1 to 5.5),but i still want to know how Thor will lose/hurt his arm, by the time line can't be in the tenth realm events or can it?

At this point i expect the unexpected, but if it's Angela who hurts/cuts Thor arm in the tenth realm last issue 5.5 that hasn't been released yet, the time line doesn't make any sense at all.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

They made this event to get rid of nick fury. Theres always some ulterior motive when DC or marvel does a big event.

Do they really need an event to get rid of Fury. They could've just ignored him like they were doing for the last few years

Hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good lord this event has been bad. Might be the worst event since Schism.

Truly awful retcons.

The Watcher, the eye, ... I think I'm feeling a headache coming on.

The House of Ideas™ must truly be out of ideas.

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Fart sound*

Not good, this comic.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FearTheLiving

@jayc1324 said:

@feartheliving: that one panel shows how much marvel doesn't care about this. Its supposed to be a big thing was they just forget??!! Thor losing his hammer here was done as an afterthought.

....Yes because we're not human we don't make mistakes. I mean it's totally not feesable that when an artist is use to drawing a character they tend to draw that character with tool he's most known for using. I'm not saying it's good form, if anything someone should have caught that along the way, but these things happen and getting hung up on one panel is a bit childish. Just because they screwed up doesn't mean the unworthy story isn't going anywhere or that it's proof that it's a gimmick. Making a mountain out of an ant-hill.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow not good events by marvel. The ending is bad. Now looks like many not excited for AXIS

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Been trying to tell everyone my brother is a no good douche!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: well marvel actually said themselves that they're doing this to appeal to female readers so this is actually a gimmick.

There's so many little things wrong with the unworthy Thor thing, every little thing they do just adds in to it and it builds up.

It is a big deal actually to have thor going back and forth with his hammer in one issue. That's not a mistake you make. Thor being unworthy is a big deal. Especially since thor isn't even a big part of original sin (which is another little thing that's stupid. He becomes unworthy as an afterthought in an event irrelevant to him by a character who has had nothing to do with Thor over the years), and one of the only times we see him, its wrong. That's not at all how you create a powerful moment.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: I'm really not going to discuss this, think whatever you want to think bro.

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This event wasn't worth the money. I bought it up until issue 7 and then I stopped. It just got to be annoying. Original Sins was unreadable. This is definitely another story that will have no continuity effects within a year. like all the other stories marvel has done in the past few years. although A vs. X has had some changes to teams and everything. And Infinity was just boring. Axis will probably be the same thing. But who knows, maybe it'll be better.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Indeed a pretty disappointing end but I've seen worst and this somehow atleast still passes in my book.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By StarBrand1

@tommythehitman: OJ DID IT!!!!!!!!!!

sorry, nick did it.

i thought issues 0-3 were awesome but after reading it in entirety today and all the tie im left feeling like i wasted a ton of money.

i will admit im excited for axis, but if i feel like i do right now about original sin, it will be the last event i support with my money for a long time

rip uatu, im pissed hes gone. i was loving what was happening with nova, i really thought good stories were going to come with those two, but nope.

AndySynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it. Agree with the review that the ending felt a bit rushed, if they'd have stuck that better (and with fewer careless mistakes) I think people would have had less to whine about, but for what was essentially a "quiet" story, and more of a cross-over than an "event", I thought it made some good moves and set up some interesting stories for the future.

Thor_Ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 44

#48  Edited By Thor_Ul

This remind me a lot what happened to Aquaman in 2006, when he was transformed into some weird tentacled entity. Only escape was death and reboot. Because nobody is going to believe than

Nick furry is back ever in his full form. Everybody would believe than "is another LMD". That plot has became a letdown for Nick Fury stories.

A total letdown, can everybody could see coming from far away.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

This was not a good issue but it was more mediocre .I have to say this about it makes me wonder if the Winter Soldier is going to tie in what happen to Nick Fury and his new role.

Scantenii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should have been Punisher that took over for Fury

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.