gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

By now you're probably aware of some of the changes we've seen with Nick Fury. He's often been a man of mystery but, until now, we had no idea just how secretive he's been. Despite what we now know, the other heroes are still in the dark over what he's been up to. This leads to a pretty great fight between the Avengers and Fury...in space. Nick Fury may be "old" now but he still puts up a heckuva fight. What does this mean for the other heroes that were secretly working for Fury? And before you dismiss this fight as your typical hero vs. hero skirmish, there is one hero that will be majorly affected by this battle.

We also get some flashbacks to the moment that the Watcher was killed. Is this the moment we get all the answers? We do get some but there's still a lot left to be told in the next and final issue. You can't help but wonder what else Jason Aaron has up his sleeve.

Mike Deodato does an amazing job on this issue. As often as we've seen these sort of fights, you can't help but relish in seeing them unfold. Aaron gives Deodato plenty to work with and it's a spectacular sight.

The Bad

With one issue left, we're left wondering how we'll get all the answers in that one final issue. As glorious as the fighting was here, we don't get to find out a whole lot. There's some jumping from scene to scene and we're left hanging, once again, until the next issue. I can't remember a series that ended every single issue with a giant cliffhanger like this one has.

Another thing with the fighting, you would think someone somehow could put a stop to it to try to actually get some answers instead of just trying to smash each other.

The Verdict

If you've been wanting some good old fashioned superhero fighting superhero action, you're in for a treat. Most of us have an affinity for Nick Fury and the recent revelations over his status have us all wondering what's next for him. For the time being, we get to see him take on the Avengers. And it's pretty glorious. Jason Aaron is still peeling back the layers as we wait for all the answers and Mike Deodato gives us some amazing pages to stare at. There's only one more issue left in this series. There's no telling what will happen next.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

so I guess we'll have to wait for a future issue of Thor to find out what Fury told him that all of a sudden made him unworthy

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Do we find out who killed the Watcher yet?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

T_Aesir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Thor represents, honer, bravery and the Valhalla spirit, the way that he becomes unworthy does not respect the character past, it was ridiculous...

Jason Aaron you did a poor writing in Original Sin 7.

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This one issue creates so many continuity errors created by this issue with avengers and captain america. Avengersnow must been last minute marketing gimmick rather then a well thought plan to change the status quo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Marvel: We love heroes fighting!

AndySynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know a lot of people have been against this event (and lots of people have been for it) because it's not been enough of an "event" for some... but I like that. I like the fact that it's more about secrets and implications, and is more of a small-scale crossover.

But I also like the fact that, unlike many "world-shaking" mega-events, where really things return to the status-quo afterwards, it actually feels like there's going to be consequences to the characters in this.

Plus there have been some great singular moments so far.

Really liked this issue. Good balance of current action, establishing flashbacks, and future implications.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel: We love heroes fighting!

What's wrong with heroes fighting? It gets boring when its the same old hero vs villain story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So we're just gonna ignore what happened to Thor lol. That was BS. I am also wondering when this event turned into a Nick Fury story. That's all it is now, and it ruined Thor with out a second thought. that made no sense at all, Thor is weak now.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This issue was a clusterf*ck.

fil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i feel like this event couldve been done in 5-6 issues, such a drag to read but nevertheless im still interested in what happens

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really enjoying this series, I'll admit I have a soft spot for Nick Fury, and getting to see him in action again is great.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@t_aesir said:

Thor represents, honer, bravery and the Valhalla spirit, the way that he becomes unworthy does not respect the character past, it was ridiculous...

Jason Aaron you did a poor writing in Original Sin 7.

Agreed 150%! This is the ultimate disrespect to not only one of the greatest heroes & warriors in the MU, but in all mythology; & done so off-handedly & poorly. Done by a character that has no connection or bearing to Thor's history or life, & done in an event book- not even done in Thor's own freakin' book! To me, & I have read Thor since I was a child- there is NOTHING Fury could say that would instantly make Thor "unworthy". I think of all the lessons in humility, the hardships, the sacrifices he has made- the battles he has fought, physically & metaphysically- living the life & knowing the pains & faults of a mortal, dying more than once, gaining the wisdom of the runes as Odin did, by sacrificing himself unto himself, breaking the cycle of Ragnarok, single-handedly restoring Asgard & every Asgardian, fulfilling the prophecy of the Serpent- all these things and more- including his indomitable will & courage- have proven that he is more than worthy. And yet freakin' old coot Fury is able to undo it all with a whispered phrase? I call BS!! Here we stood, at the edge of a Thor renaissance the likes of which I haven't seen since Simonson- an excellent run by Aaron that was getting praise everywhere, appearances in high-grossing, well-received films, making him more of a cultural icon & household name than ever before- & then Marvel pulls this crap? With one of their mightiest & bravest heroes? To me this proves it is nothing but a forced move to bring in their "All-New Thor", the goddess of identity theft, & interrupt what was otherwise a fantastic run for the sake of media pandering, PR controversy. Shame on you, Marvel, for doing this to one of your greatest, most legendary & iconic characters- a cultural icon, at the pinnacle of greatness. And shame on you, Marvel, for doing this to the fans, most of all. I have never berated Marvel like this before- over all these years- but I am now. Fans need to speak up. This isn't creativity. This is garbage.

@jayc1324 said:

So we're just gonna ignore what happened to Thor lol. That was BS. I am also wondering when this event turned into a Nick Fury story. That's all it is now, and it ruined Thor with out a second thought. that made no sense at all, Thor is weak now.

Exactly. They treated like what happened to Thor was an afterthought. It's almost as if they put no thought or creativity or emotion in it, they just did it to set up for their "All-New Thor", a character that is nothing but a gimmick & a publicity stunt. If you can't make a great story out of it, it shouldn't be done at all. It is a shame & a disgrace, & a slap in the face to an iconic character & the fans. Up above you can see my feelings, & in other forums, & I don't regret a word. I've been reserved about stupid decisions like this til now. Now it's time this fan spoke his mind, & I encourage others to do the same.

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Posted by AndySynn - August 13, 2014 at 5:10 PM

I know a lot of people have been against this event (and lots of people have been for it) because it's not been enough of an "event" for some... but I like that. I like the fact that it's more about secrets and implications, and is more of a small-scale crossover.

But I also like the fact that, unlike many "world-shaking" mega-events, where really things return to the status-quo afterwards, it actually feels like there's going to be consequences to the characters in this.

Plus there have been some great singular moments so far.

Really liked this issue. Good balance of current action, establishing flashbacks, and future implications.

THIS.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#17  Edited By Teerack

I think this took a turn. It went from amazing mystery to utter mess very fast. The paneling in this book is really really really bad. Some pages I look at and it starts to give me a headache, way to convoluted. I wasn't excepting this to by how Thor lost his worthiness but I think it's interesting and cool.

FastestBlender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

good old fashioned superhero fighting is code for poor storytelling. 4 stars is too generous, particularly when comics cost what they do.

Scantenii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked this issue. I am looking forward to the finally. I know the its been hinted that it will be Winter Soldier that takes over for Fury, but I am really hoping its going to be the Punisher. I think that would take the character in the most interesting direction in awhile. Even Punisher and Doctor Strange working as a 2 man team to do Fury's old job could be really cool. I would buy that book.

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scantenii: Intrigued! Although I've really been enjoying Punisher's latest run. Also him with the Thunderbolts.

Avatar image for brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie
    brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Scantenii That might be nice to think, but it isn't what's gonna happen.

Yeah, this is a mess. I was just wondering the whole issue, "...why are they fighting again?" And why are members of the Illuminati mad that Fury is basically just doing the same thing as them?

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

with the thor stuff i understand fans gripe. I am still unsure about how i feel about original sin. i loved some moments, but ive also really been confused and let down by others. i have an open mind to anything and everything changing in comics, but sometimes marvel really really pushes it in a bad way.

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Did Nick Fury become Batman in this issue?

Yeah lol thought the same. Furys awesome.

@brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie said:

@Scantenii That might be nice to think, but it isn't what's gonna happen.

Yeah, this is a mess. I was just wondering the whole issue, "...why are they fighting again?" And why are members of the Illuminati mad that Fury is basically just doing the same thing as them?

Yeah Panther and Strange are acting like they didnt do anything lol. I wonder if Fury knows about all that. bet he does.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

blastaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papinacho said:

Did Nick Fury become Batman in this issue?

Yeah lol thought the same. Furys awesome.

That's an understatement. Dude's a badass for sure.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I just noticed... why is Daredevil on the cover of this book lol.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soo a freaking whisper makes Thor unworthy.... That is such disrespect and BS. I mean what kind of secret would make him unworthy by words and not actions....

If all it takes for Mjollnir to go '' LoL you cannot handle me anymore'' just with words... then it lost all my respect for it.

All the things happened to Thor, all the events , humblings , dark times , heroisms and Mjollnir didn't fall from his hand but one freaking whisper and Mjollnir supposedly went '' Oh shit , thats too much ''

WHAT ?! This whole making Thor unworthy story getting more ridiculous by the minute.

Also we still don't know who actually killed the Watcher...so many false-deaths for him. And not to mention there are a group of other watchers showing up at the end..

They better have a good way to wrap the whole thing up at the end because all I got from this issue , more clusterf*ck.

muskokajoel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: not sure why daredevil was on the cover and he's on #8. Danny Rand is on #8 as well. Weird?

UltronMk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's to early to condemn what happened to Thor IMO. We don't know what secret was whispered to him. I'm thinking whatever it was caused doubt in Thor's mind (is Odin not his biological father perhaps?) and if he feel she isn't worthy then he can't lift it. This could start a great story for Thor. Hitting bottom, then redemption. It's interesting seeing some people get all crazy about it like they did when Peter Parker "died". It was hysterical reading how emotional people got over it. This is comics, Thor will regain his hammer, just like Peter returned as Spidey. No reason to get all bent out of shape, lol. Just enjoy the ride. It's not "insulting" the character. It's just an arc. Wait till it's conclusion before you judge it. Superior Spidey turned out to be a great arc IMO. While I'm not interested in the "female Thor" I am interested in his journey to redemption and regaining the hammer.

DarkYautja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@UltronMk7 My thoughts exactly, very well put!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.