Follow

Origin II

Volume »

The origin of the famous Wolverine continues!

Origin II #5

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

If anything can be said about what this series and this issue did extremely well, it's that Kieron Gillen and Adam Kubert took some fantastic chances with panel composition that end up working very well. The way pages are set-up and flow, during action sequences, truly is the highlight of this particular issue.

The book is pretty, but it has lost a little luster. Frank Martin does a fine job with colors and Kubert's action sequences show a great deal of movement and keep the scenes fun.

The Bad

ORIGIN II #5, which is the last issue of the story, is disappointing and not satisfying. The final confrontation between Essex and Logan is two pages long, where you find out Creed betrayed him all along. It's a trope seen one too many times and it has no real impact on the reader. The best reaction you'll get out of that moment is "meh."

The weirdest and oddest part of this book is that the reveal page, which concludes the series shows Victor Creed finding out about his brother's death. So, the Creed in the previous issues wasn't even the character we all ignorantly assumed it was. That's not really the problem though. This leads towards nothing. There isn't another issue and story. It just stops right here.

No one really expected this to live up to the world-changing story of ORIGIN, not even with the talents of Kieron Gillen, Adam Kubert, and Frank Martin; however, it also wasn't expected for this story, which does truly have some potential, to come out in such a mess. This mini-series may have benefited more with a few more issues to lengthen out relationships and more on Essex. What fans are left with is something that is disappointing and rough.

The Verdict

What really kills this issue and mini-series as a whole is that the first issue not only had a completely different tone and feel from the rest of the book, but it was exhilarating and a breath of fresh air. It continues to be one of my favorite single issues within a mini-series. However, this issue is incredibly disappointing and does not do the mini-series justice. As a Wolverine and ORIGIN fan, it's a punch in the gut, especially when the creative team are all fantastic at their craft. This was not a good follow-up and not a good final issue.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Loving the 2 and 3 stars! yes! YES!!!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I'm glad that I read the review because I had no idea what happened at the end of the issue

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Odd to watch issue one goe from 5 stars down to 2

Croi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This mini-series was awful.

CrashBang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@croi said:

Keiron Gillen is always mediocre at best. No surprise here.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Logan and Creed go on the hunt for Essex after he killed Clara."

Isn't this spoilers? Also, what does this mean? A pronoun like "he" isn't meant to be nonspecific. Is "he" referring to Logan or to Creed?

C'mon, a little professionalism goes a long way. :p

Alright, I'm done being a dick now. Promise.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@jaken7 said:

"Logan and Creed go on the hunt for Essex after he killed Clara."

Isn't this spoilers? Also, what does this mean? A pronoun like "he" isn't meant to be nonspecific. Is "he" referring to Logan or to Creed?

C'mon, a little professionalism goes a long way. :p

Alright, I'm done being a dick now. Promise.

English... it goes a long way....

"He" refers to the last mentioned, singular subject. That subject is Essex.

Sure, I could say "Logan and Creed go on the hunt for Essex after Essex killed Clara," but that would be considered redundant.

Logan and Creed are paired in this sentence so anything referring to them would be a plural pronoun, such as "they." Otherwise, the sentence would have been structured differently.

Did I ever mention I taught college level English classes?

NOW I'm being unprofessional.... and a crankypants

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: Ah! I didn't realize Essex was a male. I'm not reading the series myself. I thought "he" was either in reference to Logan or Creed. My mistake.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 inferiorego  Staff

@jaken7 said:

@inferiorego: Ah! I didn't realize Essex was a male. I'm not reading the series myself. I thought "he" was either in reference to Logan or Creed. My mistake.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

lol...

I forgot that Essex was a lady for a while.

WHY DOES EVRY1 NOT LUV MR SINISTR AS MUCH AS ME?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: Now I feel even more dumb. I didn't realize "Essex" was in reference to NATHANIEL Essex, aka "MISTER Sinister."

MISTER SINISTER IS THE TITS, BRAH!

I remember liking his character ever since his appearance in X-Men Legends 2.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 inferiorego  Staff

@jaken7 said:

@inferiorego: Now I feel even more dumb. I didn't realize "Essex" was in reference to NATHANIEL Essex, aka "MISTER Sinister."

MISTER SINISTER IS THE TITS, BRAH!

I remember liking his character ever since his appearance in X-Men Legends 2.

If you love him, don't read this.

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@croi said:

Keiron Gillen is always mediocre at best. No surprise here.

That's not true. You obviously haven't read his best works.

ILLO_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 stars is about right, this series went down hill and fast. I loved the first issue, the way it looked, the way if flowed, how it told such a great story with no dialogue. After that I didn't really enjoy the other issues, I read them all just to see how it ended and now I wish I hadn't.

dannymalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By dannymalt

I stopped at issue 2, I wanted to wait for the series to end to read it in one sitting. It sounds like it got really terrible as it went on though. But I do concur, that issue 1 was a masterpiece, so good, and beautiful art.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.