Follow

Operation: S.I.N.

Volume »

Tying into ORIGINAL SIN, Peggy Carter and Howard Stark get caught up with the mysterious Woodrow McCord.

Operation: S.I.N. #1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Note: OPERATION: S.I.N. #1 is on sale 1/7/15.

The Good

I'm a sucker for stories set in the Marvel Universe's past. We've seen some stories take place during the 1950s and with the premiere of Marvel's Agent Carter television series, it seems like a perfect time to explore the adventures of Peggy Carter and Howard Stark in the comics.

Kathryn Immonen wastes no time in showing us what Peggy Carter is capable of. She kicks all sorts of ass in the opening pages. There is sometimes difficulty in depicting a non-superpowered character in big action scenes. Immonen and Rich Ellis' art immediately sets the tone for the series. As you would hope, Peggy isn't just "Captain America's former girlfriend." It's glorious to see how she carries herself and stands up to people like Howard Stark given the time period and how women were "supposed" to behave.

Obviously some changes have been made to Peggy Carter's character over the years, especially with the sliding timescale in comics. While it does feel as if some aspects are presented to fit with the television show, little details such as Peggy being a blonde and not having Hayley Atwell's likeness is reassures readers that this isn't trying to pander just to TV viewers.

Rich Ellis also does a great job in making the Marvel Universe feel different, given the time period. Jordan Boyd's colors also helps establish this tone. You can see and feel that this is taking place in the 50s and it's not just little tweaks to clothing. This is another thing that makes the issue exciting.

The Bad

Some aspects of the mission feel as if they come together a little quickly. Suddenly we trying to catch up to Peggy in Russia. Then Howard Stark re-enters the story and soon after the mysterious Woodrow McCord. Those that haven't read ORIGINAL SIN won't know who he is or his significance. It may not be crucial to understand who he is or what his destiny is but his purpose will feel a little odd at first. The action kind of jumps quickly towards the end. It does give a cliffhanger feel but we're also left with tiny bits of confusion, along with what's going on with Peggy's 'handler.' The next issue should clarify things.

The Verdict

If you're curious about what the Marvel Universe was like in the 1950s, you'll want to check this out. With Peggy Carter and Howard Stark ready to hit the small screen, we get the opportunity to see how their comic book counterparts behaved in a mission tying into a character introduced in ORIGINAL SIN. Kathryn Immonen's story and dialogue combined with Rich Ellis' art and Jordan Boyd's colors really captures the feel of the time period. There might be a couple moments of confusion for new readers but there is plenty of action and suspense to get you hooked. Reading this definitely makes me want more.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

Wait.... is this related to original sin?.... because that event ended forever ago and this is weird.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

The only thing I know about Original SIN is its original catch phrase "Who killed the Watcher?" but I'm still willing to pick this up. Ready for Peggy to kick some butt!

Is this going to be a mini or ongoing?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Weird time to release this. Should've come out closer to Original Sin, rather than after Axis. I guess they decided it would sell better if it came out around the Agent Carter premiere.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: Sweet! The annual seems to be some sort of origin story of that Woody guy that is also set in the MU's past. Would it be helpful to read the annual before Operation SIN or would it raise even more questions about the entire event?

Avatar image for comicvine_is_jericho529
    comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's obvious they are forcing this story to further promote the minis series on ABC

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: Sweet! The annual seems to be some sort of origin story of that Woody guy that is also set in the MU's past. Would it be helpful to read the annual before Operation SIN or would it raise even more questions about the entire event?

The annual was more about the changing of the guard from Woodrow to Nick Fury (before he became gruff and cynical even!)

I'm looking forward to this, the fact that its a limited series also means they'll be less tempted to drag in cameos of mainstream Marvel characters (or their parents at least)

Also the timing of this could be partly to separate it from Original Sin the series, as that was more about the secret-giving magical eyeballs of Uatu than about the day to day adventures of Woodrow (then Nick Fury). As well as the Peggy Carter TV show of course.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicvine_is_jericho529: I don't necessarily agree. It doesn't feel like the show looks. If they were really forcing it, they would have called it "AGENT CARTER" and used Hayley Atwell's likeness. Or at least tried to make Peggy a brunette. Yes, it's Peggy Carter and the show is out this week but it doesn't feel as forced as when we see movie or TV show banners slapped across the front cover.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I might pick this up...

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By BigL

I want to read this. The past stories are usually great, and The Bitter March was AMAZING so if it's anything like that, I'm in.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cave_duck: Thanks. On one hand it's nice to know I don't need to pick up the annual or any extra issue, on the other hand I was already looking forward to reading the annual. @g_man A feature article recommending Marvel stories and comics set in the past would be nice by the way.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cave_duck: @g_man: What a great first issue! I love it, and I love Peggy, she's so cool! The coolest person in the Marvel Universe! The dialogue between her and Howard Stark is what this comic book seems to be all about; at least this first issue. It doesn't really matter the issue is lacking a bit of a story and background information. I mean, for instance, even Howard Stark is surprised how Peggy has gotten to Moscow before him. While Woodrow is a somewhat mysterious guy (but what Russian contact wouldn't be? The KGB girl is as mysterious as Woodrow is.) there's also something mysterious about Peggy and that's a good thing. As Howard said she can keep secrets better than anyone and women who can keep secrets are... Did I already mention how cool she was?

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cave_Duck

@donfelipe:

Gah! can't get into my comic store till the end of the coming week!!

Noooooo!!!!

(glad it turned out good though)

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really, really wish I could convince everyone to read this. It's so awesome!!! High level awesome! The dialogue, the art, just about everything. Immomen proves you don't need to wield a god's hammer or be handy with a couple of sais to be a tough, powerful and kick_ss BAMF.

I love Agent Carter in this. Just one issue, and I am in love. It's so weird too because after losing a newly introduced character in Elektra's soontobe ending title, I find one of her endearing characteristics in this version of Peggy.

I was thinking I would wait to see if this five parter would be issued in a TPB but considering the impression this first issue gave me, I wouldn't be able to handle the wait.

Great comic!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.