Follow

Onyxx

Character » Onyxx appears in 198 issues.

Onyxx was a student studying at Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. A close friend of fellow student Bling!, Onyxx often accompanied her on adventures and helped the X-Men battle against Apocalypse. He joined the X-Men full-time when the team relocated to Utopia and helped battle the Dark Avengers, Emplate and Selene.

Onyxx, we will miss you.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By papad1992

So who else is completely ticked at how they just decided to kill off, yet again, another character. Plus he is just a teen. There was no character development with him. I saw some potential in him. I really wanted to know more about him, what he's made out of; and what's with the helmet head? I just think that during this Necrosha event, the creators just needed someone to die so they could keep readers interested. At least they should of kill off one of the reformed villains staying on Utopia instead of Onyxx. What do you guys think?

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By pixelized

I always just saw him as being the other Rockslide. I won't miss him, didn't even know he died till John Valentine mentioned it.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By papad1992

I just thought that if you're going to kill off a character do it to someone that has meaning to the death, not just some random teen.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Decoy Elite

I miss Swordsman. He was kinda cool and then Norman just stabs him and throws him out a window. WTF?

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pixelized
    @papad1992 said:
    " I just thought that if you're going to kill off a character do it to someone that has meaning to the death, not just some random teen. "
    Random people die as well though. Not every death has to be someone that will leave the team in disarray.
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By iLLituracy

Onyxx only mattered for like...one story arc when he fell for Mystique when she was Foxx or whatever. He didn't do anything else important other than be Bling!'s sidekick. I wouldn't mind if Bling! died, too, but she's definitely a deeper character, IMO.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By xerox_kitty

The should have killed off one of the reformed villains? What, like Diamond Lil? Other writers have only recently started to use Onyxx, but even then he was still a background character. No-one seemed interested in writing an actual personality for him other than someone who sulked & hung around Bling! a lot. So while I'm sad to see yet another kid from the Institute wasted before there wer any attempts to develop his character... I'm also not that bothered to see a secondary Rockslide go the way of the school bus.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By papad1992

I think Diamond Lil was a mistake. Especially when Mad Jeff could've rekindled their relationship. But I agree that Onyxx does look like a second Rockslide and also hangs around Bling! to much but still you'll never know if he would've become a great character.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pixelized
    @papad1992 said:
    " I think Diamond Lil was a mistake. Especially when Mad Jeff could've rekindled their relationship. But I agree that Onyxx does look like a second Rockslide and also hangs around Bling! to much but still you'll never know if he would've become a great character. "
    but from the lack of character development he was given, it's hard to even care.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By John Valentine

He was like an even lamer Rockslide..... 
    Also, the Fox thing was hilarious, hahaha. Only memorable point in his existence. 

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By papad1992

Another Xavier Institute student dead. Who do you think will be next?

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By John Valentine
    @papad1992 said:
    " Another Xavier Institute student dead. Who do you think will be next? "
    Hopefully either Bling! or Pixie.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pixelized
    @John Valentine said:
    " @papad1992 said:
    " Another Xavier Institute student dead. Who do you think will be next? "
    Hopefully either Bling! or Pixie. "
    Don't be mean.
    papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By papad1992

Pixie I can stand but Bling!, I think her time has come.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By John Valentine

Oh, Ink, Greymalkin and Cipher can die too.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @John Valentine: I thought Ink died at the end of Young X-Men? 

Greymalkin & Cipher... if they don't start doing something more interesting soon, then yeah.  Nuke them too.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By John Valentine
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @John Valentine: I thought Ink died at the end of Young X-Men?  Greymalkin & Cipher... if they don't start doing something more interesting soon, then yeah.  Nuke them too. "
    Wasn't he comatose?
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @John Valentine: Then maybe I was just hopeful, and only thought he'd sacrificed himself... ah well. 

I'm still puzzled why Onyxx was even made.  It's rare to get characters with similar power sets in the same team/generation, that aren't related.  For years I used to get him confused with Rockslide.  It's just weird to have two hulking giant rock-guys around at the same time.  So what was the purpose of creating Onyxx? :p
    MichaeltheFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#19  Edited By MichaeltheFly
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @John Valentine: I thought Ink died at the end of Young X-Men?  Greymalkin & Cipher... if they don't start doing something more interesting soon, then yeah.  Nuke them too. "
    Nice to see your sensitive side.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By John Valentine
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @John Valentine: Then maybe I was just hopeful, and only thought he'd sacrificed himself... ah well".
    Ok, I've done some searching....  
    His last appearance was in Utopia: Exodus where he was shown well, without explanation, in the background. 
    As for Onyxx.... well, the entirety of Peter Milligan's run was just poor and irrelevant. 
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Michael the Fly: Heh heh 

@John Valentine: Ah nuts.  Oh well, it was written by Mr Anti-Continuity-Fraction.
    papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By papad1992

I admit that Onyxx has been poorly used and was mainly a copy of Rockslide now that i flipped back through the New X-Men run. I think they should have continued the New X-Men run, it was getting so interesting. They could've gone forward with that series and explored other students backgrounds and histories. The Young X-Men was a total mistake. Ink and Greymalkin...Yuch!    

The_Warlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By The_Warlord

It was too bad that Onyxx had to die, i liked him. I was waiting for him to get a bigger role in the X-Men universe

Avatar image for captain_amerika
    Captain Amerika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#24  Edited By Captain Amerika

I remain unfazed by his death. In fact when I heard he died, my only response was, "At least they did not kill someone important".

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By John Valentine
    @papad1992 said:
    "  I admit that Onyxx has been poorly used and was mainly a copy of Rockslide now that i flipped back through the New X-Men run. I think they should have continued the New X-Men run, it was getting so interesting. They could've gone forward with that series and explored other students backgrounds and histories. The Young X-Men was a total mistake. Ink and Greymalkin...Yuch!     "
    I understand that the Institute was closed at the end of Messiah Complex (yes, to avoid complications with a pressing SHR that would have been imposed upon the X-Men, and to allow for the relocation followed by the surprise new direction for the team) and I realise that the book could not have continued in the same direction, but, it was just ridiculous for the X-Men to leave these teenage mutants abandoned after the horrors they had only just endured! I would have much rather followed a book about the ex-New X-Men, starring Hellion, Surge, Rockslide, Dust, etc, than Young X-Men
     Young X-Men was an abominable series...  
    The sudden lack of exposure of certain New X-Men characters (Hellion, Surge etc) has just made them fade into the background.... shame. 
    papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By papad1992

I agree totally! They could have taken the new x-men and expanded the roster, explored different backgrounds, and made new story arcs. The lack of progression in the new x-men characters amazes me. Now they are just being used as fillers instead of actual x-men. The core team of x-men have astonishing x-men, the black ops team has x-force, the old "new" mutants have the new mutants, and the rest of mutant-kind, mainly the students, are being thrown into the background of uncanny x-men: NOT COOL! We need the new x-men book back! :(

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By jordama

I liked Onyxx, he may have been similar to Rockslide, but i still liked him
    KumoriKunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By KumoriKunoichi

Honestly I think it was at random. I'm pretty sure the writers lined up the X-Students and just wanted to kill one of them off for the hell of it. Onyxx just got unlucky.

Avatar image for the_cracked_genome
    The Cracked Genome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992 said:
    "I think Diamond Lil was a mistake. Especially when Mad Jeff could've rekindled their relationship. But I agree that Onyxx does look like a second Rockslide and also hangs around Bling! to much but still you'll never know if he would've become a great character. "

I thought they got back together in Nation X just before the technozombies invaded!
    Avatar image for the_cracked_genome
    The Cracked Genome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time Onyxx has appeared in the comics he was getting his ass kicked! 
    Mystique beat the crap out of him when he tried it on with her 
    X-23 was knocking him about in the Danger Room 
    Stryker blasted him with Nimrod's arm 
    and Wither killed him 
    I thought they taught the kids how to fight at Xaviers!
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By Primmaster64

I honestly thought you weretalking about pokemon

KumoriKunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By KumoriKunoichi

Does someone have the actual picture of Wither touching him and Onyxx going to pieces? I would have gotten the comic but I'm a little short on cash atm.

Renascence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By Renascence

He was better than Rockslide.  He had a quirky story instead of being an irrelevant and cliched jock.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By Magian

It's unfortunate that we didn't get to know more about him.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @Decoy Elite said:
    " I miss Swordsman. He was kinda cool and then Norman just stabs him and throws him out a window. WTF? "
    I thought that was cool. I was guessing Norman would kill him from way back when during T-bolts anyway.
    daken_2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By daken_2513

I hate when they kill the students  First they killed Wolf Cub and now Onyxx
    Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992 said:
    " So who else is completely ticked at how they just decided to kill off, yet again, another character. Plus he is just a teen. There was no character development with him. I saw some potential in him. I really wanted to know more about him, what he's made out of; and what's with the helmet head? I just think that during this Necrosha event, the creators just needed someone to die so they could keep readers interested. At least they should of kill off one of the reformed villains staying on Utopia instead of Onyxx. What do you guys think? "
    i totally agree.  he had tons of potential and was really interesting.  what's more, his death didn't make sense.  wither can only kill organic stuff and onyxx the stone isnt organic.   and dont say because onyxx was also alive it works because mercury is alive yet wither couldnt kill her. 
    infonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By infonation

@papad1992: I never really knew Onyxx, but I think he deserved better than to be killed off, he was like a stranger-looking version of the The ever lovin' blue-eyed Thing! And not in a bad way! I agree that he might be better off being brought back.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.