Follow

"The Amazing Spider-Man" One Moment in Time

Story arc »

One Moment In Time. What happened to the marriage of Spider-Man and Mary Jane and what is going to happen for their future?

Why One Moment in Time doesn't suck

HaHaManHV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

User Lists: 1

Edited By HaHaManHV

One More Day sucks. One Moment in Time doesn't, even though it should. I know lots of people will disagree with me on this, but I feel like a large part of this comes from a misunderstanding of what the two stories have done to the Spider-Man mythology. By now though I'm sick of people hating One Moment in Time, a story with gorgeous art that is actually worthy of your time so you can understand the new status quo. 

For those who don't know, One More Day was the story in which Aunt May rests in the hospital after taking a bullet through her stomach (Said bullet was shot at Peter, who dived out of the way). In an effort to save her life, Peter goes to find aid in Iron Man, Dr. Strange, Mr. Fantastic, and everybody he can think of to save her life. When nobody can help her, Mephisto, the devil, comes to Peter and Mary Jane and offers them a deal, their marriage will be taken away in exchange for the life of Aunt May. Pretty much, sacrifice their love in order to save her life. The two accept the deal and the world around them is changed so that the two were never married. The devil gets to know that a love so pure was taken away from them. 

One Moment in Time explains how this changed the world around them and led to where we currently are. 

Here are the major changes: 

• Peter Parker and Mary Jane never got married. Peter got hit in the head by a cinder block and fell off a building the night before and ended up unconscious for the ceremony the next day. Instead, the two decided to stay together but not get married unless Peter could stop being Spider-Man. 
    • When Aunt May was sick, Peter still went to everybody he could find for help. When that didn't work, he waited by her bedside and when he heart rate zeroed performed CPR and saved her life (Miraculously) 
    • Peter willingly took back his secret identity with the help of Dr. Strange, Mr. Fantastic, and Iron Man. After this, only he and Mary Jane knew who he was under the mask, since he felt it wasn't fair to take that away from her. This has of course changed as he's revealed his identity to some others.

See, I find that most people have the understanding that One Moment in Time erased One More Day. It did not. It instead changed the past, therefore causing the changes that would happen. In fact, throughout the story you see representatives of Mephisto, such as a red bird and a nurse working with Kingpin. He couldn't change reality and leave Peter and Mary Jane know he did it, so the timeline was changed so it's as if he was never there but in fact, there he is throughout. It's a bit confusing to understand, but I just want people to know that One Moment in Time doesn't suck. It's actually pretty good and features some of the most beautiful art you'll find in a modern comic with Paulo Rivera. It's a story about how it doesn't take a supervillain taking over the world to complete change a life. Spider-Man faces hundreds of threats but it's the threat he underestimates that does him in. I actually think that the story was one of the better stories of Spidey's 2010 because it at least focused on Peter so you remember he's under the mask. It's not a bad comic, it just comes from one. I hope people learn to give it a chance with time, but I know better. At the very least, I'll be able to enjoy this little gem that tried to fix one of comics worst stories. That's enough for me.
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Icon

Excellent rant. OMIT doesn't deserve the crap it gets, but it's understandable why it gets it (it's tainted by OMD, and comics readers are annoyingly boneheaded sometimes).

Tenshin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Tenshin

Thank you! I was about to make a new topic to see if anyone could help me make sense of it. :) Now that I understand it, I completely agree. Great stuff.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By danhimself

good stuff....I'm actually really sick of all the people complaining about OMD still...it happened...get over it

pepperr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pepperr

I'm still in the process of reading OMIT, but I gotta say, the art is very subpar(when it shows the Present). I don't enjoy it at all. Heck, I'd rather have had Romita Jr. draw it. 
    My reasons:
    1) While the colors are great, the characters look very bad to me. Pete looks FAT in the first panel - I was shocked. So does MJ in a few panels in the first ish. She should be gorgeous like she is almost every other time. Pete just looks off. The panel in which MJ is holding the tray of coffee, she looks like a plus-size model, and we all know she is as far from that as anyone can be. 
    2) The artists change every 10 pages or so. I can live with it but it is distracting because it doesn't seem consistent while reading. 

However, I love (Queseda?) the art of the panels just following the mind wipe, when they are in a dark room; it's fantastic compared to most of the other stuff in these few issues.
    One gripe I have is the cinder block bit: how on earth can that disorient him to that extent? Sure, head trauma, but it's a bloody cinder block. Very bad PIS.

I thoroughly enjoy the dynamic he has between his women now though, so I don't mind the story. What I am confused about is what you tried to clarify above. Did Mephisto plant this memory of Peter going to Strange to give him the illusion that there was no malicious intent behind the mindwipe?

HaHaManHV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HaHaManHV
    @pepperr: See, I think the art NOT done by Quesada is great. Quesada has like a moment here or there that looks good but mostly it's not good. The art that I think looks gorgeous is the flashback work of Paulo Rivera
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @danhimself said:
    " good stuff....I'm actually really sick of all the people complaining about OMD still...it happened...get over it "
    THIS.
    pepperr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pepperr
    @HaHaManHV: 
    Can you point out which panels they are? I'd love to take another look.
    Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Hazlenaut

I have evidence to point the contrary from Linkara and the Last Angry Geek

pepperr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pepperr
    @Hazlenaut: 
    You could contribute a lot more if you told us what it was instead of making us chase it down. Just saying.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By JonesDeini
    @pepperr:  
    Read it and agree with all the points they made, Quesada's a hack and should be kept 1,000 miles away from Spider-Man (or any other comics writing for that matter).  
    ATFW/Comic Issues One Moment In Time review     

One More Day didn't stop me from reading Spider-Man, but this crock of gobshite surely did. Tried again with Origin of The Species but Mark Waid failed me heavily. So now I've totally dropped the title from my pull list. 
    HaHaManHV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HaHaManHV
    @pepperr: The art in the flashback sequences aka the parts that are actually consistent. Rivera drew the scenes featuring Eddie the crook and in later issues drew the scenes that established the new continuity
    Ladyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ladyspider

OMIT is character assassination against Mary Jane. I can't accept how Mary Jane was treated in this story. She was made into a victim and was played as a weak character. When she has always been portrayed as a strong independent woman. 

HaHaManHV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HaHaManHV
    @Ladyspider: Honestly, if you look at the way she has been portrayed lately it's not much better. The latest issue of Spider-Man (652) had her jealous over Peter and Carlie, a coupling she set up. In Origin of the Species she was useless, and really her best appearance since OMD was when she was the girlfriend of Bobby Carr for a few issues during the beginning of Brand New Day.
    Ladyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ladyspider
    @HaHaManHV: I would like to refer to Origin of the Species still being under Executive Meddling. Having just come out of OMIT Mary Jane was written to be useless. Notice how practically every scene with Carlie was in praise of her. Mary Jane has been written so that Carlie looks better by comparison. Mary Jane throws Carlie at Peter, I've never set up my ex girlfriends with dates. It's just a weird and forced characterization. I get that some people just don't like or understand Mary Jane but don't force her to act out of character to fit a story. Thats one of my major peeves with serial fiction. don't get me started with that whole Bobby Carr mess. 

But going back to OMIT, Mary Jane was written horrible. She was forced to act like an abused wife who acted like she didn't know what she was getting in to when she accepted the proposal. Go back to the original stories , she never once thought about having children with Peter. She just knew that she loved him and wanted to marry him. The couple only talked about having kids years lated.

If you want to continue this little debate hit me up at Spider-Man Crawlspace Forums. I know some people who would agree with your opinions about Spider-Man in the Zeta house.
    pepperr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pepperr
    @HaHaManHV: 

Ahhh yes. While his art doesn't pop as much as Queseda's with his bright colors, I enjoyed his art the most.

@Ladyspider:

You make some very valid points and I concur. While I have yet to go through my 500 issues of ASM, I have read enough of it to agree with you that there was some WIS involved.
    Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Hazlenaut
    @pepperr: 

Sorry about that I must have goofed, again. I thought i did made the link    
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#17  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I hate the character of Mary Jane anyways, so I'm cool with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.