Follow

One Above All

Character » One Above All appears in 52 issues.

One Above All is the most powerful of the Celestials. He was mistaken for another God of Marvel Comics (The One-Above-All), because both share the same name.

Omnipotent Vs Omnipotent - Issue

Avatar image for thespiritstalker
    TheSpiritStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheSpiritStalker

I don't really understand how a universe (i.e. Marvel or DC) can have more than one Omnipotent being. Someone who is Omnipotent has ultimate power throughout their respected universe. Take Marvel for example, shouldn't the Living Tribunal equal The One Above All in terms of power then as it has no limit. One Omnipotent being cannot defeat another, but still an Omnipotent like Eternity is killed by an Omnipotent Thanos (IG). Doesn't that just make it a paradox then because Infinite Power cannot overcome Infinite Power. What do you think?

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Kal'smahboi

I think that sometimes they use the hyperbole "Omnipotent" as a comparison to mortal ideas of power; they might as well be omnipotent when seen by a person like you or me. For instance, in DC they have the New Gods like Darkseid and Orion but they aren't actually all-powerful gods, they just have powers so far beyond a mortal man that they might as well be.

Avatar image for the_umbra_sorcerer
    The Umbra Sorcerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

This Doesn't Belong in the Battle Section
    TheBatman586

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheBatman586

In each megaverse, Marvel or DC, there is only one being who is truly omnipotent, who is literally stronger than everyone else. For instance, in Marvel, only TOAA is actually omipotent. Any other being is, at best, ALMOST omnipotent.

RoyHarperBLOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RoyHarperBLOW

bump

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wolfrazer
    @Kal'smahboi:  I know you posted this a year ago, but what about actual beings who are omnipotent such as Zeus and all them? Or are they not omnipotent? But then, I don't see how that makes sense.
    willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By willpayton

Not a battle. But, the answer is that there can only be one omnipotent being per comic reality. Marvel has TOAA. DC doesnt have a true omnipotent being as far as I can tell.

eisjfiejss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By eisjfiejss

@Wolfrazer said:

@Kal'smahboi: I know you posted this a year ago, but what about actual beings who are omnipotent such as Zeus and all them? Or are they not omnipotent? But then, I don't see how that makes sense.

The clear answer is that none of them is actually omnipotent. Logically speaking, nothing can be omnipotent by the omnipotence paradox. However, truly omnipotent beings can defy logic.

Back on the topic. For instance, as the op said if Eternity is omnipotent, how can Thanos with IG defeat it? The answer is that Eternity was never omnipotent, and Thanos with IG is basically what showed this to us. Everyone who is said to be omnipotent in comics is actually just nigh-omnipotent.

hyperbeing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hyperbeing

@eisjfiejss said:

@Wolfrazer said:

@Kal'smahboi: I know you posted this a year ago, but what about actual beings who are omnipotent such as Zeus and all them? Or are they not omnipotent? But then, I don't see how that makes sense.

The clear answer is that none of them is actually omnipotent. Logically speaking, nothing can be omnipotent by the omnipotence paradox. However, truly omnipotent beings can defy logic.

Back on the topic. For instance, as the op said if Eternity is omnipotent, how can Thanos with IG defeat it? The answer is that Eternity was never omnipotent, and Thanos with IG is basically what showed this to us. Everyone who is said to be omnipotent in comics is actually just nigh-omnipotent.

i agree with this .but what about the HOTU doesi t make somone truely omnipotant cause beong omnipotant implies unlimited power or does itm ean having all powers in existense.i forgot can someone axplain.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kal'smahboi
    @Wolfrazer: No problem at all. Always happy to continue an interesting discussion. I don't believe that Zeus has ever been seen as omnipotent, even by the Greeks that believed in his divinity. If that were the case, what would be the point of quarreling with the other gods?
    Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wolfrazer
    @Kal'smahboi said:
    @Wolfrazer: No problem at all. Always happy to continue an interesting discussion. I don't believe that Zeus has ever been seen as omnipotent, even by the Greeks that believed in his divinity. If that were the case, what would be the point of quarreling with the other gods?
    Wait but wasn't Zeus in myth omnipotent? Didn't he have all this power, and was able to do pretty much anything?(Mind is a little fuzzy atm) I do recall him swallowing the universe though...or is Marvel not going that far with the Myth and only putting him on a smaller level?
    Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kal'smahboi
    @Wolfrazer said:
    @Kal'smahboi said:
    Wait but wasn't Zeus in myth omnipotent? Didn't he have all this power, and was able to do pretty much anything?(Mind is a little fuzzy atm) I do recall him swallowing the universe though...or is Marvel not going that far with the Myth and only putting him on a smaller level?
    I actually think that Marvel isn't that far off. But the actual Zeus was only powerful because he took the power. Swallowing universes isn't omnipotence, but it is very very powerful, which was my original point.
    Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wolfrazer
    @Kal'smahboi said:
    @Wolfrazer said:
    @Kal'smahboi said:
    I actually think that Marvel isn't that far off. But the actual Zeus was only powerful because he took the power. Swallowing universes isn't omnipotence, but it is very very powerful, which was my original point.
    It ain't? Really? Hm....guess I am looking at omnipotent in a different way then, so he isn't omnipotent? Just a powerful god? I feel as if Marvel/DC really downplay, a lot of old characters that started way back when and it just ain't right. But anyway thanks.
    Sherlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sherlock

@Wolfrazer: As far as i recall Zeus never swallowed the universe.Though he did swallow his Titan wife (The mother of Athena).Zeus was also not omnipotent

In order to be truly omnipotent there cant be anyone able to beat you to the point where there isnt anyone who can even compete with you,Take TOAA FE.He cant be beaten and no one can even challenge him due to his power.That is omnipotent and there can be only one

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wolfrazer
    @Sherlock said:

@Wolfrazer: As far as i recall Zeus never swallowed the universe.Though he did swallow his Titan wife (The mother of Athena).Zeus was also not omnipotent

In order to be truly omnipotent there cant be anyone able to beat you to the point where there isnt anyone who can even compete with you,Take TOAA FE.He cant be beaten and no one can even challenge him due to his power.That is omnipotent and there can be only one

Pretty sure I recall somewhere(and someone else put up the same thing here in various threads about myth and what not) that he did swallow the universe. But ah, I see...guess I always looked at omnipotent as some big godly character not in the way your saying it, so thanks for the clarification.
    jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jeanroygrant

@Kal'smahboi said:

I think that sometimes they use the hyperbole "Omnipotent" as a comparison to mortal ideas of power; they might as well be omnipotent when seen by a person like you or me. For instance, in DC they have the New Gods like Darkseid and Orion but they aren't actually all-powerful gods, they just have powers so far beyond a mortal man that they might as well be.

This.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jeanroygrant

@Wolfrazersaid:

@Kal'smahboisaid:
    @Wolfrazersaid:
    @Kal'smahboisaid:
    It ain't? Really? Hm....guess I am looking at omnipotent in a different way then, so he isn't omnipotent? Just a powerful god? I feel as if Marvel/DC really downplay, a lot of old characters that started way back when and it just ain't right. But anyway thanks.

*Cough cough Thor, cough Wonder Man cough*

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By acer51

Omnipotence would be ultimate infinate power, this page explains how one persons unlimited power can be greater then others.

matmatxm8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By matmatxm8
    No Caption Provided

This is an example of Omnipotent beating a fellow Omnipotent

Same goes to the comics so shut the f*ck up

eisjfiejss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By eisjfiejss

@hyperbeing said:

@eisjfiejss said:

@Wolfrazer said:

i agree with this .but what about the HOTU doesi t make somone truely omnipotant cause beong omnipotant implies unlimited power or does itm ean having all powers in existense.i forgot can someone axplain.

HOTU does not make someone omnipotent. Omnipotence does not necessarily imply unlimited power or having all powers in existence. It just means you are capable of ANYTHING. In other words, you can defeat others in a fight even if you had 1/100000 of your opponents power, or even if you didn't have any power at all.

To prove that someone is not omnipotent, you only need a single counter example. In the case of HOTU, Thanos stated that Eternity, Infinity, and LT was able to resist him momentarily before being absorbed. This is sufficient to prove that he was not all powerful.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By minigunman123

@RoyHarperBLOW said:

bump

Why would you bump this?

Can a mod () please move or lock this? It doesn't belong in this forum.

whydama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By whydama

@eisjfiejss:

What can Thanos with HOTU not do?

eisjfiejss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By eisjfiejss

@whydama said:

@eisjfiejss:

What can Thanos with HOTU not do?

For instance, I don't think HOTU allows the user to be above TOAA. I also don't think HOTU allows Thanos to create more HOTUs. Remember omnipotence means capability to perform any feat conceivable regardless of whether it fits logic.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By evilvegeta74

@matmatxm8: There's no way in heaven or hell Chuck Norris could ever infinately be compared to Bruce Lee even in his own dreams.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.