inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Logan kicks some butt, finds an Ultron head, talks to Emma Frost, and decides to leave his territory, heading into the unknown.

The main reason to pick up this issue is simply for the art. Andrea Sorrentino and Marcelo Maiolo are quite possibly my favorite art team in comics. They deliver some of the best art of the year in this issue, right from the start when Logan takes on Gladiator and a whole group of people dressed in Daredevil outfits. Spoilers, kinda... The two-page spread of Logan stabbing Gladiator is the image of the year, which is tough to say, since we're only in May. Artistically, this book never takes its foot off the gas and Maiolo delivers some of his patented moves by doing a few panels and pages in his signature flat style to emphasize the moment. In addition, Sorrentino and Maiolo give readers some wonderful establishing shots of the landscape that have a photo-realism feel to it which are wonderful transitional scenes.

As a fan, it is great to not only see this character again but the world of Old Man Logan as a whole. The original story, by Mark Millar and Steve McNiven, set up so many great places this could go and we catch glimpses of greatness right off the bat in this dystopian future where masks rule the world, in a sense.

The Bad

The actual story for the issue doesn't feel very believable with this character. In the Old Man Logan story line, Logan is pushed to do the things he does in order to save himself and those close to him. In this SECRET WARS tie-in, he's become almost an investigator and savior for people. It feels like a complete change for the character's personality. Understandably, this are going to be a little shaken up here because it's technically not the exact character from the original storyline.

Aside from that, the story of Logan trekking his way towards and up the wall to find where the Ultron head came from just doesn't feel like it works. It feels like the story was crafted to force the character to go somewhere else rather than the character moving the story forward. I'm having this knack for getting very excited for Brian Michael Bendis stories and getting let down in the actual execution in quite a few of his books recently.

The Verdict

Every ounce of the Old Man Logan fanboy in me wants to love this book. I was incredibly excited to jump right into this book and while the art was nothing short of brilliant here and the world that Millar originally created is just as brilliant, the character of Logan is completely different from the original and the story here feels forced and not worth the effort of the main character. If you're looking for a book with great art, check this out. Otherwise, you may be a bit disappointed once the fanboy excitement fades away.

Paste_Pot_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Paste_Pot_Pete

Wow, that's really disappointing. I'll still pick it up for the art, but it sounds like this could have been so much more.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never read the original, sooo im hoping it doesnt hurt me reading this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Bendis writing someone out of character? SHOCKING

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Im sad now.

harashkupo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so happy you mentioned Marcelo. Sorrentino is such a great artist but Maiolo adds that little something that makes their art purely awesome.

They are the current dynamic duo of the art world.

FIXER22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Bendis, he does start slow sometimes tho.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

I loved it and I get where you're coming from, but I viewed it as now that he's reached the stage of popping his claws and finally willing to fight back against the evil that lives in his world, he's attempting to "clean up" the place and give Hulk Jr. a better future. Or maybe I'm just crazy and thinking there's depth where none exists and he's actually just being written a little out of character? That's possible. Anyway, I really hope the book remains mostly in Old Man Logan's territory; I feel like there's still so much potential there. And yeah, sweet mother of all that is holy, Sorrentino and Maiolo are amazing.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yikes. I was worried with Bendis writing, since he's a very different writer from Millar (although, that's not to say I don't like his writing style. I typically love Bends books). Still going to pick it up, though, and see if I like it

sgu823

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

^this.

I read "main reason to get this book is the art" and "complete change in character's personality" and I was like "Yup, that's Bendis.". Honestly, I don't know what people expected.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hate to be right in my predictions especially when the book is as gorgeous as this... Hopefully the next issue is less disappointing and the story picks up now that the set-up is done.

Avatar image for ironspiderchan45
    Ironspiderchan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just what I thought. The art is amazing but it's still Bendis.

sonofodin25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OF COURSE Bendis added a relative of Luke Cage into the book

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@inferiorego: Bummer. This seemed like it could have been great.

TheLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dead_Man_Dann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"In the Old Man Logan story line, Logan is pushed to do the things he does in order to save himself and those close to him. In this SECRET WARS tie-in, he's become almost an investigator and savior for people."

At the end of the original Old Man Logan, he sets out to right the wrongs of his broken world. I don't see how him actually do that here is unfaithful. Seriously, this is EXACTLY what he said he was gonna do.

"You really gonna bring the law back to this country?"

-Why not? Got nuthin' better to do. [...] I figure I've kept my head down long enough.

Webhead_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just disappointed that so many people just came to say "a-ha! I told you this would suck" and point their fingers clearly without having read the book themselves. I thought it was strong and it's been getting good reviews and comments where other Bendis books haven't. People should really give this a chance, or at least not pretend they're not talking out of confirmation bias.

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Tony_Shark

God! This is disappointing! BENDIS!!!!!

batarangbamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've desperately needed some Sorrentino back in my life (wasn't interested in just jumping in for the two x-men books). I bought old man Logan as soon as I heard he signed on. This is kinda what I expected of Logan, family gone, hulks dead, why not go chop people up. My only not complaint is how were all the heroes wiped out on Battleworld if characters like married Peter Parker are still around.

Zwm210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@dead_man_dann: I agree, Logan doesn't even have a family to "save" because the Hulk gang killed them all.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
    Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"In the Old Man Logan story line, Logan is pushed to do the things he does in order to save himself and those close to him. In this SECRET WARS tie-in, he's become almost an investigator and savior for people."

At the end of the original Old Man Logan, he sets out to right the wrongs of his broken world. I don't see how him actually do that here is unfaithful. Seriously, this is EXACTLY what he said he was gonna do.

-Why not? Got nuthin' better to do. [...] I figure I've kept my head down long enough.

Agreed ... we need to realize that Logan had come back into his own by the end of Millar's tale. He was all about kicking @$$ and chewing bubblegum by the end of the first run ... and yeah ... he was most definitely all out of bubblegum (or chewing on a stogie ... whatever ... )

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@8008s: Agreed lol, I thought the same exact thing about some people commenting.. This was pretty good I though.

Jazon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

didn't Logan actually felt the need to be the hero and save the world after the original Old Man Logan? he couldn't stand sitting on his hands after what the Hulk gang did to his family. so the "new" Logan in the Secret Wars OML is excellently portrayed as a continuation.

LordRyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never read the original story, so I never had anything to compare this to. I picked it up, since I'm picking up all the Secret Wars tie-ins and see what I'll stick with, and I loved this. Arguably one of my fav Secret Wars tie-ins thus far. I will be picking up the rest of this series.

I know Bendis has ignored lots of continuity in the past, I see some saying he did here and others saying he didn't. I don't know in this case (in past cases his ignoring of continuity has caused me to get rather upset), I just know I find Bendis at his best [usually] when telling darker street level stories and that's exactly what this is and I really enjoyed it. I had no expectations though having not read the first old man logan.

Story 4~4.5 stars out of 5 stars imho. Art 4.5~5 stars out of 5.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#26 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Thanks for the reminder. Haven't read the story since its release (shame on me, I know), so I didn't remember the final remark. I was just left assuming he'd now be motivated to continue his mission after what he went through.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By VanderSEXXX

@sgu823 said:
    @sprior93 said:

^this.

I read "main reason to get this book is the art" and "complete change in character's personality" and I was like "Yup, that's Bendis.". Honestly, I don't know what people expected.

Same here. Took a pass on this as soon as I learned Bendis is writing this. Such a waste of good art from Sorrentino though.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Sorrentino could draw grass and I'd love it.

DrakeParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my opinion, this issue was absolutely amazing. I mean its been about 4 hours since I've read it, and I still can't stop thinking of the conversation that took place with Emma Frost. Also, for me it was cool to see the Cage relative. But most of all Its Logan in a new perspective for me.

spideyguy121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This book was pretty awesome!

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read this last night. The art was excellent and i really enjoyed issue 1. Looking foward to the next one.

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

luke cage little girl is in this

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

This was pretty great

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
    Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

@8008s said:

I'm just disappointed that so many people just came to say "a-ha! I told you this would suck" and point their fingers clearly without having read the book themselves. I thought it was strong and it's been getting good reviews and comments where other Bendis books haven't. People should really give this a chance, or at least not pretend they're not talking out of confirmation bias.

Absolutely. Wanted to wait till I read it fully before commenting further, and I thought it was a great first issue. Was very pleasantly surprised with Bendis' rendition.

This review is one of the worst I've read on the Vine in the 5+ years I've been around. The points of contention are entirely without basis. A shameful review.

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, of course put Danielle Cage in it. And she certainly doesn't look like a fifty year old, there.

It looks dreadfull!

The setting is uninteresting, the main character is a bad Clint Eastwood imitation, Bendis dialogue ticks appear right in the first scene and this is probably going to be, despite all that, the best issue of the series. From now on, it's going to be Logan world-hopping, written by a veritable well of bad ideas, who has a knack for ignoring continuity and can't write action or a decent Wolverine. Oh, goody!

I also don't agree with the praise the art has been getting. All those wierd pannels, collours and excessive shadows seem like ways to mask weak storytelling and lack of facial expressions.

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Bendis has exceeded my expectations with its beginnings in Old Man Logan. I only hope that his obsession with Ultron stop here, before he does something stupid.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I finally got around to reading this. I didn't like it and I thought it kind of sucked honestly. I would have rather they gotten Miller back to write the sequel to Old Man Logan or just not haven made a sequel to Old Man Logan at all. I would have literally preferred nothing to this book as a big fan of Old Man Logan.

Avatar image for anarrowintheheart10
    anarrowintheheart10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

I loved it and I get where you're coming from, but I viewed it as now that he's reached the stage of popping his claws and finally willing to fight back against the evil that lives in his world, he's attempting to "clean up" the place and give Hulk Jr. a better future. Or maybe I'm just crazy and thinking there's depth where none exists and he's actually just being written a little out of character? That's possible. Anyway, I really hope the book remains mostly in Old Man Logan's territory; I feel like there's still so much potential there. And yeah, sweet mother of all that is holy, Sorrentino and Maiolo are amazing.

completely agree with you at the end logan realised that in his core he is a hero and maybe the last one on earth so seeking out evil and killing it actually is in character.

and i also agree that bendis is sometimes not at the top of his writing game in the last few years but im gonna give him a chance on this one.

phocracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Loved it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.