Follow

"Wolverine" Old Man Logan

Story arc »

Old Man Logan is an eight issue arc by Mark Millar and Steve McNiven set 50 years after all the heroes were defeated by the villains.

Giant-Size Wolverine: Old Man Logan Conclusion REVIEWED

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

It's finally here.  In case you're unaware, both Red L.A.M.P. and myself (and I'm sure most of you as well) have been loving the Old Man Logan story.  After waiting and waiting, the end it finally here.  I have to admit I was both looking forward to this and dreading it.  As much as I want to see the end, I don't want it to end.  The question is, how will this conclusion stack up to the rest of the series? 

Now that the story is over, do you think it was a good ending?  It was a fitting ending but let's be honest, we want more.  Hopefully Marvel will give us Old Man Logan 2.  I thin we can agree that it should be by both Mark Millar and Steve McNiven.  There is still a lot left of this world to explore.  Mark Millar and Steve McNiven managed to really make Wolverine interesting again.  

While the battle scenes felt a little brief (to me) I suppose it was fitting.  There's no need to dwell on them.  We don't necessarily need an entire issue of fighting. What is important is the story was told.  Would you like to see a sequel?  Do you think there's more to be told or should they just leave it as it is?
    Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1  Edited By Slinger

There needs to be a sequel to this. I want to know how Logan recruits Invisible Woman. I hope they go full circle with this and end it going straight into the recent Fantastic Four arc.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

I was really let down by this issue...It didn't live up to the rest of the arc at all...they definitely didn't need to make it "GIANT SIZED" since the only thing that happened was him killing Hulk

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.
    @danhimself said:
    " I was really let down by this issue...It didn't live up to the rest of the arc at all...they definitely didn't need to make it "GIANT SIZED" since the only thing that happened was him killing Hulk "
    ZOMGssss you spoiler! ;)
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By jakob187

Wafting farts and talking about Wolverine.  Classy, guys.  =  P

camodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By camodude

deffintly getting the hardcover!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By danhimself
    @Red L.A.M.P. said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " I was really let down by this issue...It didn't live up to the rest of the arc at all...they definitely didn't need to make it "GIANT SIZED" since the only thing that happened was him killing Hulk "
    ZOMGssss you spoiler! ;) "

I'll be honest and say that I didn't watch the whole review, just up until you talked about spoiling everything then I just skimmed through it to see your ratings
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By goldenkey

I can't believe I didn't buy these issues because Im such a Millar freak.  Do the people really love the story that much?????

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Om1kron

GOATSE.CX made it on the cover of a wolvering book HAHAHAHAHA

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By goldenkey

WOW!  Sounds like you guys really liked the story a lot.  The Claremont Miller statement was pretty bold.  Wish I bought them before.  Guess I'll have to get the hard cover when it does come out.  Oh, what's the dogs name, G-dog?
    zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10  Edited By zombietag

can i just say, and PLEASE dont get too mad at me, but i dont like red lamp in reviews. at all. idk, i just dont like it. i like g-man, i like babs, and i like when g-man and babs do stuff together but for some reason i really dont like red lamp in reviews. at all. ever. soooo.... yea just thought id throw that out there. dont bite my head off hehe

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Decept-O

This whole concept really sounds kick-ass--pun intended--and I want to get these.  Odds are I won't be able to find them but I will have to try.  
    McNiven's art has always rocked my face off and I loved MIllar on Wanted so this is just a no-brainer.   
    Friends don't let friends fart and review comics.  Just saying....
    Avatar image for mighty_destroyer
    Mighty_Destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mighty_Destroyer

first off G-Man: Nice Duvall shirt.

Second: Do I smell a Lone Wolf And Cub theme?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FLStyle

Dirty Titan, ha! I thought it was a good review.

@zombietag said:

" can i just say, and PLEASE dont get too mad at me, but i dont like red lamp in reviews. at all. idk, i just dont like it. i like g-man, i like babs, and i like when g-man and babs do stuff together but for some reason i really dont like red lamp in reviews. at all. ever. soooo.... yea just thought id throw that out there. dont bite my head off hehe "

I can kinda see where you're coming from, G-Man and Babs have a certain professional quality to their video reviews, but I feel Red L.A.M.P has his place too. He has an energy and enthusiasm for the comics and it shows, I can relate to people who have that much passion. Personally I think he's just happy to be away the programming side of Whiskey Media for 15 minutes :P
    _brandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By _brandon

How does Wolverine know for sure he's battling Hulk(s)? If he was tricking into killing the X-Men thinking they were bad guys how could he know this time around that a) his family is really dead or b) the Hulks are what they seem to be? 

Kind of kills the idea of why he stopped being Wolverine in the first place.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Media_Master

I'll get this once it becomes a trade.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @Red L.A.M.P. said:
    " @danhimself said:
    ZOMGssss you spoiler! ;) "

Hey I'm not complaining ha ha
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I never really followed this series, but I've heard about it in passing. The concept of an old Logan is a bit confusing to me. Is this like a Solid Snake thing??

Inbred Hulk children?? Is think kind of a Hills Have Eyes kind of thing?

I wonder if Oldman Logan will become some kind of side series. The way there was Spider-girl or the Marvel Zombies. It makes a lot of sense that the art in the back could of been saved for the hardback edition, and filled up those pages with some more action. I sort of touched on this in a blog post I made, but that's another matter altogether.

Cute dog.

Obsurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By Obsurity

I believe that there will be a sequel. I'd love to see Millar and McNiven continue this series. I don't think it would be the same if they had someone else do em. I saw above someone asking about a lone wolf and cub theme, I can see that only in a short term way. I thought the fighting fit, Logan was enraged. It would be a rather be quick. I

Some complaint (I guess)- Banner must be what in his 70's having the vitality of someone half his age. Granted he's a villian/former hero plus what ever the radiation caused. Logan I can understand because heal factor and he ages slower (I think)
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#19  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @jakob187:
    " Wafting farts and talking about Wolverine.  Classy, guys.  =  P "
    Just another day at the office... 

@goldenkey:
    I think so.  The issues sold out and most were reprinted a couple times.

@Decept-O:
    "Friends don't let friends fart and review comics.  Just saying.... "
    It was the dog that farted.

@Mighty_Destroyer:
    " first off G-Man: Nice Duvall shirt. "
    Are you familiar with the band Duvall?!?
    Sunrise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sunrise

Can't wait to see how Wolverine and 'the kid' go from this ending to who they are in the pages of Fantastic Four / Fantastic Force.
    Avatar image for hero_vs__villian
    hero vs. villian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By hero vs. villian

I personally believe that this one-shot proves that Mark Millar is incapable writer, and is out of ideas. So now he turns to just a blood-fest, depicting women in violent situations, just practically nothing but a over the top violence comic, and that is gross.

glforthewin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By glforthewin
    @camodude: hell yes!!!!!
    LastSon1027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LastSon1027
    @Red L.A.M.P.: I have to agree with you, I like to have dialog in my books too. Art is important but the story is why I read.
    kunglu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kunglu

I have a question, which if you haven't read or figured out what happens will be a spoiler. My question is, what about the Hulks healing factor? Do you think he can come back after what Wolverine did to him? I mean he did have all his skin and muscle melted off by that guy from the UFO's way back when and it only took him a few minutes to grow it all back.  Personally I think he's not done yet. I hope there is a part 2, a little Lone Wolverine and Cub action. Oh I also have to say even tho it is a great story and amazing art, this didn't need to be a giant sized $5.00 book! Not cool Marvel!

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.
    @zombietag said:
    " can i just say, and PLEASE dont get too mad at me, but i dont like red lamp in reviews. at all. idk, i just dont like it. i like g-man, i like babs, and i like when g-man and babs do stuff together but for some reason i really dont like red lamp in reviews. at all. ever. soooo.... yea just thought id throw that out there. dont bite my head off hehe "
    Im so hurt!  
    Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.
    @LastSon1027 said:
    " @Red L.A.M.P.: I have to agree with you, I like to have dialog in my books too. Art is important but the story is why I read. "
    Yeah, I think that is why I don't read Superhero comics. But give me something like Y: The Last Man and Im sucked in.
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By geraldthesloth

Nice review guys..Love it when you two team up

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Crazy that's not crazy, riding down the street on a unicycle while ranting to yourself about your neighbor's cat now that's crazy.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Korg
    This post contains spoilers, obviously. 

I was pretty disappointed with the way this wrapped up (and really, the whole series in general). The conclusion to the Wolverine/Hulk fight was stupid, predictable, and also physiologically impossible, even by their own unique standards. The series also failed to link me empathically to Logan by hitting me with the emotional impact of him murdering the X-Men, because I just laughed aloud at the idea that Wolverine could single-handedly take out the entirety of the X-Men, up to and including Polaris. Some screwball who got decapitated by a shotgun (wielded like a bludgeon) taking out Magneto? Eugh. The arc had a nice "aged Clint Eastwood (uh... I mean Wolverine) is a badass" vibe to it, but that's all it was - a vibe. A pale imitation of something we've seen before. The ending was an anti-climax, and I also don't believe for a second that Wolverine would have stopped short of killing that infant when he was done with the other Banners. I hope they do follow up on this, but I also hope they do something better with the grand set-up than they did with Old Man Logan. I don't understand why exactly people were so enamored of this story. It was a good premise, but the story unfolded in a way that managed to provide several huge disappointments for me, personally.
    Bat-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bat-Man

Being a huge Millar fan, I definitely enjoyed the story and was not let down by it in any way. But the real star of this book is McNiven. His art completely makes this story a can't miss. Even though I already own the individual issues, I might just pick up a collected version anyway. I hope a sequel is on the way.

Nahero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By Nahero

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww look at the doggie

Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#32  Edited By Dr. Detfink

Mark Millar stories never make a lick of sense (see Civil War) and they have plot holes that you can drive a truck through. That said, his stories always have crazy stuff that artists can sink their teeth into. 

I thought the boys forgot to mention that Millar has said Logan and the baby hulk appear in his Fantastic Four run. So yes, Logan does find remnants of heroes and forms his own team.

Watch Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Watch Dog
    @Dr. Detfink said:
        Millar has said Logan and the baby hulk appear in his Fantastic Four run. So yes, Logan does find remnants of heroes and forms his own team. "
    were was this confirmed?
    Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#34  Edited By Dr. Detfink
    @Watch Dog: It was in an interview on newsarama a long time ago where Millar stated there is a connection between his FF and Old Man Logan run. If you read Millar's Fantastic Four run, the future Invisible Woman's Fantastic Force crew has a Hulk named "Bruce" calls Logan "dad." Of course, this FF revelation was supposed to coincide with Old Man Logan but keep in mind all the delays made it easy to forget this correlation. 
    Watch Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Watch Dog
    @Dr. Detfink: Thank you. I wish I had known that. I was on the fence about picking up  Fantastic Force and this info would have made me buy it instead I just passed it by.
    Avatar image for justamarveldcguy
    JustaMarvelDCGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JustaMarvelDCGuy

Comic, was awsome. But what i would´ve loved more was that Bruce, Logan, and Hawkeye are going to the Adventure and Beating Red Skull and the Rest of the LandLords, BTW We all saw Dr.Doom right when Logan drives away from Doom´sLand? He looked kinda wasted.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.