Follow

Odin

Character » Odin appears in 1372 issues.

Odin Borson, is a nexus being who is omnipotent and almost unrivaled in raw power . He is the son of Bor Burison, brother of Vili and Ve, husband of Frigga and the father of Thor, Vidar, Balder and adoptive father of Loki. Odin is the wisest and by far the most powerful of the Asgardian Gods. Alpha of the council of God Heads Odin is a name that is respected and feared throughout the Marvel Multiverse.

What is Odin's problem?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Gambit1024

The following has spoilers from Fear Itself #1. Those of you who haven't read it yet and wish to do so without being told any details about it should get out of here now. You have been warned.

Still here? Good. So now you can answer my question. What is Odin's problem against humanity?

In Fear Itself, Iron Man and all the other Avengers want to help the Asgardians by rebuilding Asgard after what happened to it and whatnot. While, yes, the Gods can do it with the snap of their fingers, but humanity just wants to help the Gods after the lives they've saved in Earth's name (mostly Thor, but others have helped before). Thor tries to calmly explain this to Odin and he flips out on Thor. He then goes on to insult the human race by calling them all "ants". After reasoning doesn't work, Thor uses force (because Odin's being an old man and a fool), but Odin commands Mjolnir to fall, ending the battle very quickly.He tells Thor that he's going to Asgard willingly or in chains. He proceeds to tell all the Gods to gear up while he opens the Bifrost Bridge and just like that the Gods are gone.

So why is Odin so narrowminded about humanity? What has humanity done to piss him off? (assuming of course that he doesn't know that Sin released the Serpents yet)
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PrinceIMC

I think it's ironic that Odin sent Thor to Earth to learn humility as a human but now seems to treat humans like insects. But I think it's all part of the story, Odin is a jerk sure but he knows something is coming and is trying to fortify his people back in Asgard. He's acting like more of a jerk than usual to distance himself and the Asgardians from Earth.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Gambit1024

I thought that was ironic too, that's why I was confused.

It's definitely some sort of plot device, I just want to know the reasoning behind it

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Larkin1388

I was kinda shocked to see Odin that way myself. I agree with Gambit1024.

biggkeem89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By biggkeem89

I think Odin is actually afraid of the God of Fear. He thinks that the time spent with humans has somehow weakened his people, and made them not ready to deal with the upcoming threat. Look at what the Void/Sentry did to Asgard. Before the close relations with humans, this kind of even would seem unfathomable, but low and behold, some psychotic mortal bought Asgard to its knees. I believe he blames humanity for the condition of Asgard, possibly to cover up his own insecurities of failing his people

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6  Edited By SC  Moderator

Uhm, Odin's always been like that. He didn't send Thor to Earth to be as humble as a human, but to be humble in the presence of Odin. Its like a rich Majillioniare Emperor King who stars in Hollywood movies sending his son to a public school to be humble. Odin doesn't have a problem with humanity, they are just small and weakish and have this weird humany odor. 

Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Dark Cell
    @biggkeem89 said:

"I think Odin is actually afraid of the God of Fear. He thinks that the time spent with humans has somehow weakened his people, and made them not ready to deal with the upcoming threat. Look at what the Void/Sentry did to Asgard. Before the close relations with humans, this kind of even would seem unfathomable, but low and behold, some psychotic mortal bought Asgard to its knees. I believe he blames humanity for the condition of Asgard, possibly to cover up his own insecurities of failing his people "

Ohhh I see whut you did thare!

But in all seriousness I think you have pretty much Completely nailed it.

OmegaHans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By OmegaHans

He is a god and gods would rather build their homes, not those they feel lesser than them. It's a matter of pride.

This is Odin we're talking about. Who would dare tell him no? That goes for even Thor or anybody.

Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Theworldbreaker
    @OmegaHans:
    Zeus probrobly would.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By PowerHerc

Odin's pride is the equal of his power.  This is what prevents him from seeking or accepting help from any mortal and most gods.
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

His chickens are coming home to roost, that would get anyone's feathers ruffled.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#12  Edited By Outside_85

Having spent the afternoon drinking beer and reading Thor comics (post rebirth), I cant help but think Fraction's Odin is not the same as JMS's Odin.

JMS made Odin into a relatively likable god, but still flawed; breathing life into humanity, falling to Loki's manipulation yet admitting his own flaws while willingly accepting to remain in an eternal battle with Surtur. While Fraction's seems more in line with Marvel's perception of god-who-are-really-aliens, where humans are just annoying bugs to be toyed with if not squashed for their amusement at best.

JMS's Odin didnt blame Thor for not reviving him and actively told him not to, fractions however had Odin fighting Hela's puppy dog or something before being pulled back because of some unknowable evil that wont be seen for like 30 years or so.

So the question remains; Is Odin truly the one who created humanity (JMS) or is he some alien a-hole who couldnt give a damn about them (Fraction)? 

vidarrodinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vidarrodinson

Very good  stuff.  I can only add this.  Odin alledgedly gave up an eye for the knowledge of the ages.  Hung himself on Yggdrasil for nine days to suffer the death of life.  He did this to become the All Wise.  Odin should  never be  held accountable to anyone , cause his judgement should be held true,   If there is any such cases.  He should be portrayed that way .  
    TheGodKiller3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheGodKiller3

@biggkeem89 said:

I think Odin is actually afraid of the God of Fear. He thinks that the time spent with humans has somehow weakened his people, and made them not ready to deal with the upcoming threat. Look at what the Void/Sentry did to Asgard. Before the close relations with humans, this kind of even would seem unfathomable, but low and behold, some psychotic mortal bought Asgard to its knees. I believe he blames humanity for the condition of Asgard, possibly to cover up his own insecurities of failing his people

Actually there are MANY humans/mutants that can humble Asgard , not to mention Odin himself , without much problems . Also , based upon the Sentry's ability to auto-resurrect , he isn't technically a mortal . That goes for a number of human mutants too . They are viewed as "mortals" only in the gods' view .

Also is Odin aware of Franklin Richards and what he can do ? I suppose his arrogance towards humanity would be greatly reduced , if he did .

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Outside_85: Awesome post, I truly prefer JMS' interpretation of Odin and the Asgardian gods. I completely despise what Fraction has done with Thor and Asgard.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By seekquaze

@TheGodKiller3 said:

Actually there are MANY humans/mutants that can humble Asgard , not to mention Odin himself , without much problems .

Could you please give me a list? I can only think of maybe five or six without extensive prep. And with proper prep just about any character can be written to beat another.

Who could?

Franklin Richards

Molecule Man perhaps. He seems to have been written down some of late.

Sentry/Void On a good day.

Korvac at his most powerful.

Maybe Jamie Braddock

Mad Jim Jaspers of he is still around

What are some others?

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @Deranged Midget said:

@Outside_85: Awesome post, I truly prefer JMS' interpretation of Odin and the Asgardian gods. I completely despise what Fraction has done with Thor and Asgard.

Same here, bro.
    TheGodKiller3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheGodKiller3

@seekquaze said:

@TheGodKiller3 said:

Actually there are MANY humans/mutants that can humble Asgard , not to mention Odin himself , without much problems .

Could you please give me a list? I can only think of maybe five or six without extensive prep. And with proper prep just about any character can be written to beat another.

Who could?

Franklin Richards

Maybe Jamie Braddock

What are some others?

Dark Phoenix/WPoTC

HoM Wanda

Franklin Richards

Mad Jim Jaspers

Pre-Retcon Molecule Man

Classic Dr Strange

Legion

Meggan(w/ power of beyond)

Roma

Merlyn

etc. etc.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By seekquaze

@TheGodKiller3 said:

@seekquaze said:

@TheGodKiller3 said:

Who could?

Franklin Richards

Maybe Jamie Braddock

What are some others?

Dark Phoenix/WPoTC

HoM Wanda

Franklin Richards

Mad Jim Jaspers

Pre-Retcon Molecule Man

Classic Dr Strange

Legion

Meggan(w/ power of beyond)

Roma

Merlyn

etc. etc.

I wouldn't exactly say your list is accurate. Several of those like the Wanda example and Dark Phoenix are one-time power ups or abstract entities in human form. Just about any major character if around long enough gets one of those. Didn't Captain America have access to a cosmic cube one time? Others like Roma and Merlyn are not so much humans as some sort of aliens/cosmic entities. Based on what you sated by many "mutants/humans" I was looking more for ones that could humble Odin in their default state who are actually from Earth.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.