Odin's power level

#1 Posted by Ziro (1352 posts) - - Show Bio

Can someone please clear something up for me? Is Odin a 'galaxy buster'? Yes or no?
#2 Posted by JediXMan (30193 posts) - - Show Bio

I would put him a couple of levels below the Celestials. All the Celestials combined fought Odin, who wore the Destroyer armor with all the Asgardian souls. It was a two second fight, ending with the armor being melted.

#3 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

You've asked a considerably difficult question.

Fact is that Odin has destroyed galaxies. However, for the most of his appearances, Odin and other skyfathers have not been depicted as capable of destroying galaxies. Not even close. So basically it's a fact which some (Like me) dismiss as bad writing. Arguments can be made for both sides.

#4 Posted by JediXMan (30193 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom: 

Personally, I don't like the "skyfathers" to be that powerful (Odin, Zeus, Highfather, etc.). I like it when Thor is depicted as being stronger than Odin.
#5 Posted by "Colossus" (4111 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
" You've asked a considerably difficult question.  Fact is that Odin has destroyed galaxies. However, for the most of his appearances, Odin and other skyfathers have not been depicted as capable of destroying galaxies. Not even close. So basically it's a fact which some (Like me) dismiss as bad writing. Arguments can be made for both sides. "
acutally odin busted a galaxy
surtur busted a galaxy
zeus created a dimension ,

im pretty sure most sky fathers can galaxy bust
#6 Posted by AssertingValor (5386 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan:
isnt highfather from DC!  any way  Odin is greatly awed by the Shi,ar ans Fantastic Four  where reed richards is judged for stopping galactus. but we forget one thing! Hulk can lift a mountain, others can eat a sun, and some can even resist Darkseids omega beams! but then we remember that powerlevels and traits always change to keep the readers guessing, other times hulk can barely lift a ship! so dont get all excited because none of it is real anyway!
#7 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7659 posts) - - Show Bio

Well it's over nine thousand for a kick off, but yeah id say his power dewls within the skyfather territory.

#8 Posted by Ovidyuu (60 posts) - - Show Bio

Odin is just a weak old man who can't even fight a few lizards.All according to Thor issue 212

#9 Posted by Hyperlight (5688 posts) - - Show Bio

hes probably right below elder gods such as gaea or cnthlon

#10 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8792 posts) - - Show Bio

He's Marvel's most powerful Sky-Father, nuff said.

#11 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan:
Agreed. Each generation should be stronger than the last. That's how it seems to look now after Thor destroyed Odin's daddy.
#12 Posted by Godslayer1090 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Dormammu say's his power rivals Odin and Zeus and Dormammu trumped ETERNITY once. I'd say someone whose power rivals the guy who beat the embodiment of all that is, is pretty freaking powerful.

And as far as The Celestials vs. the Odin/Destroyer/Most of the Asgardians, the result of that conflict doesn't mean much when you think about it. If it was JUST Odin vs. A Celestial, I severely doubt it would be totally one sided. But since it was Odin w/ cool sword, Destroyer armor and the spirits of alot of Asgardians (I doubt the power gained from all of those guys would boost Odin power significantly) vs. just about ALL of the Celestials, of coarse Odin wouldn't last long. Look at it this way, If a really, Highly trained martial artist faced off against, say, seven martial artist of equal skill, it would only be a matter of time before the one got his ass kicked by the other seven. And just because that one guy got beaten by the seven other guys doesn't mean the one is not really good. Same logic applies when comparing Odin to the Celestials. Odin is probably as powerful as a single Celestial, but when facing a multitude of beings of that level of power, of coarse it's one sided. 

Point being that Odin is really powerful no matter how you look at it.

#13 Edited by RoninTheFury (377 posts) - - Show Bio
@Godslayer1090 said:

" Dormammu say's his power rivals Odin and Zeus and Dormammu trumped ETERNITY once. I'd say someone whose power rivals the guy who beat the embodiment of all that is, is pretty freaking powerful.  And as far as The Celestials vs. the Odin/Destroyer/Most of the Asgardians, the result of that conflict doesn't mean much when you think about it. If it was JUST Odin vs. A Celestial, I severely doubt it would be totally one sided. But since it was Odin w/ cool sword, Destroyer armor and the spirits of alot of Asgardians (I doubt the power gained from all of those guys would boost Odin power significantly) vs. just about ALL of the Celestials, of coarse Odin wouldn't last long. Look at it this way, If a really, Highly trained martial artist faced off against, say, seven martial artist of equal skill, it would only be a matter of time before the one got his ass kicked by the other seven. And just because that one guy got beaten by the seven other guys doesn't mean the one is not really good. Same logic applies when comparing Odin to the Celestials. Odin is probably as powerful as a single Celestial, but when facing a multitude of beings of that level of power, of coarse it's one sided.   Point being that Odin is really powerful no matter how you look at it. "

Odin is indeed powerful, but there is no way he is as powerful as a single Celestial. their power is immensely greater than that of Odin. But regardless of that, his power is a multiple galaxy busting level.
#14 Edited by PowerHerc (82744 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel that Odin is a peer of Zeus and Galactus in overall power, though below Hulk, Hercules and his son Thor in strictly physical strength (unless he increases it with his godly power).

#15 Edited by Zaiyan (461 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic book Odin has insane powers, I took these scans from the battle threads

a single blast from Odin shook "every single plane in reality."  Below is the scan to prove it.

what it takes to harm odin 

PIMP SMACKS

Odin shaking the Universe during his battle with Seth.

#16 Edited by EdBlank (492 posts) - - Show Bio

They really should define this stuff outright instead of just making up random feats.

#17 Posted by Hoboseid (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

I think in battles he's defined as a Galaxy Buster, maybe even a little above Pre Crisis Darkseid

#18 Posted by vidarrodinson (137 posts) - - Show Bio

Odin said, He was the will and the way.  He said his power was supreme.  Thor  said  the Odinforce has no bounds before beheading Desak/Destroyer with a hammer throw.  Probably the wisest being in  the marvel universe.  Even he had no answer for those that Sit Above in Shadows.  The powers that they had were obviously higher than Asgard.  There needs to be a new listing of the Powers,  The Celestials, Dormammu,Cyttoraks,Mephistoes,Watchers, Strangers,Molecule Mans.  Or is everybody just Class 100?
#19 Posted by seekquaze (611 posts) - - Show Bio

Odin's powers are often as the plot dictates.  He has generally been above bad showings, but that may change soon.  The Odinforce has limits, but again they are different by story.  The days of Odin being a galaxy buster are generally behind us.  Otherwise, Zeus and a number of other skyfathers should have that level of power.  Odin is still a powerful force, but about the only thing you can definitely say is he is several leagues above Thor.  I would say Odin is generally as powerful a being you get before transcending the physical or encountering high cosmic beings.

#20 Posted by MutenRoshi (851 posts) - - Show Bio

Fraction has him back to classic Galaxy levels, he b*tch slapped Thor and Surfer

and even took the fight to Galactus

Galactus is an abstract planet eating entity who normally can destroy Earth Gods and Odin still managed to fight him

#21 Posted by jloneblackheart (5506 posts) - - Show Bio

@MutenRoshi: That was Zeus and he was amped up by Mikaboshi's power

#22 Edited by ChompOnThis12589 (123 posts) - - Show Bio

@RoninTheFury said:

@Godslayer1090 said:

" Dormammu say's his power rivals Odin and Zeus and Dormammu trumped ETERNITY once. I'd say someone whose power rivals the guy who beat the embodiment of all that is, is pretty freaking powerful. And as far as The Celestials vs. the Odin/Destroyer/Most of the Asgardians, the result of that conflict doesn't mean much when you think about it. If it was JUST Odin vs. A Celestial, I severely doubt it would be totally one sided. But since it was Odin w/ cool sword, Destroyer armor and the spirits of alot of Asgardians (I doubt the power gained from all of those guys would boost Odin power significantly) vs. just about ALL of the Celestials, of coarse Odin wouldn't last long. Look at it this way, If a really, Highly trained martial artist faced off against, say, seven martial artist of equal skill, it would only be a matter of time before the one got his ass kicked by the other seven. And just because that one guy got beaten by the seven other guys doesn't mean the one is not really good. Same logic applies when comparing Odin to the Celestials. Odin is probably as powerful as a single Celestial, but when facing a multitude of beings of that level of power, of coarse it's one sided. Point being that Odin is really powerful no matter how you look at it. "

Odin is indeed powerful, but there is no way he is as powerful as a single Celestial. their power is immensely greater than that of Odin. But regardless of that, his power is a multiple galaxy busting level.

@ guy that said Thor was greater than Odin: There's no way Odin is weaker than Thor lol.

IMO Odin is more powerful than the average Celestial. He's not more powerful than Exitar or The One Above All but I'd pick Odin over any other Celestial. Just in the battle where Odin fought all the Celestials(there's 18 known Celestials......) or course there's no way he'd come out on top no matter what armor or other buffs he has.

Bottom line Odin is no joke and losing to 18+ Celestials shouldn't be looked at as a bad thing in anyway since there aren't many beings in the Marvel Universe that could trump that. Odin is on Zeus's level and to me that is above average Celestial power but weaker(considerably) than Dormammu(especially considering his ridiculous feats).

What you have to realize about the Celestials is that they rely HEAVILY on their technology. So if it was a single Celestial with no weapons and Odin with no weapons Odin would most likely dominate that Celestial, even if the Celestial had his armor(given since they almost never remove their armor).

#23 Posted by seekquaze (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@ChompOnThis12589 said:

@ guy that said Thor was greater than Odin: There's no way Odin is weaker than Thor lol.

IMO Odin is more powerful than the average Celestial. He's not more powerful than Exitar or The One Above All but I'd pick Odin over any other Celestial. Just in the battle where Odin fought all the Celestials(there's 18 known Celestials......) or course there's no way he'd come out on top no matter what armor or other buffs he has.

Bottom line Odin is no joke and losing to 18+ Celestials shouldn't be looked at as a bad thing in anyway since there aren't many beings in the Marvel Universe that could trump that. Odin is on Zeus's level and to me that is above average Celestial power but weaker(considerably) than Dormammu(especially considering his ridiculous feats).

What you have to realize about the Celestials is that they rely HEAVILY on their technology. So if it was a single Celestial with no weapons and Odin with no weapons Odin would most likely dominate that Celestial, even if the Celestial had his armor(given since they almost never remove their armor).

I would disagree with most of this. The only direct confrontation between skyfathers and Celestials had three skyfathers: Odin, Zeus, and Vishnu combine their power against Arishem the Judge and fail to budge him. Arishem forced the three of them to power before his power. So at the time it was clear Odin was lesser than Celestials. There is no evidence to my knoweldge that Arishem is any more powerful than other Celestials. Of course with some recent appearances the power level of Celestials might have changed.

We also don't know how much the Celestials rely on technology because we don't know exactly what a Celestial is. The Stranger and Galactus are both very powerful on their own yet often use technology to accomplish things they could with their own powers.

#24 Posted by PowerHerc (82744 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze said:

@ChompOnThis12589 said:

I would disagree with most of this. The only direct confrontation between skyfathers and Celestials had three skyfathers: Odin, Zeus, and Vishnu combine their power against Arishem the Judge and fail to budge him. Arishem forced the three of them to power before his power. So at the time it was clear Odin was lesser than Celestials. There is no evidence to my knoweldge that Arishem is any more powerful than other Celestials. Of course with some recent appearances the power level of Celestials might have changed.

We also don't know how much the Celestials rely on technology because we don't know exactly what a Celestial is. The Stranger and Galactus are both very powerful on their own yet often use technology to accomplish things they could with their own powers.

I completely agree.

#25 Posted by tombrake60 (19 posts) - - Show Bio

@godslayer1090: Wrong for the most part right. But wrong because Odin full power is only as strong as a weak celestial not an average to strong celestial.

#27 Edited by 9dragons (92 posts) - - Show Bio

@tombrake60: Odin fight with the celestial host was actually more of a showing of his power. People tend to overlook that the celestials out numbered Odin/destroyer and the host blasted him together to put him down because they deemed it necessary to concentrate their power together as oppose to single celestial blasting him away, hinting that the prior was the better option.

#28 Posted by 9dragons (92 posts) - - Show Bio

Never underestimate the power of the godling races. Chaos King Thor.

#29 Posted by MaccyD (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely lower than the three faces of the universe:

Galactus, Eternity and Death.

Not sure about any other cosmic being :P

#30 Edited by lol (4420 posts) - - Show Bio

He is one of the most powerful skyfathers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.