Follow

Odin

Character » Odin appears in 1373 issues.

Odin Borson, is a nexus being who is omnipotent and almost unrivaled in raw power . He is the son of Bor Burison, brother of Vili and Ve, husband of Frigga and the father of Thor, Vidar, Balder and adoptive father of Loki. Odin is the wisest and by far the most powerful of the Asgardian Gods. Alpha of the council of God Heads Odin is a name that is respected and feared throughout the Marvel Multiverse.

Is Odin without the Odinforce stronger than Thor?

Reptilicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Reptilicus

No Odinforce for Thor either.

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Enosisik

He should be... I've always thought it was a bad idea to have a Odin force and a Thor force an all that.

gavinification

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gavinification

Well if Odin didnt have the Odinforce and relied on his asgardian nature for power then I think Thor would be more powerful seeing as Thor is half elder god.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Jorgevy

@gavinification said:

Well if Odin didnt have the Odinforce and relied on his asgardian nature for power then I think Thor would be more powerful seeing as Thor is half elder god.

this is a good point but.... wouldn't Gungnir and Odin's sword help him? I donno if weapons count

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Enosisik

Odin is still a god of war so I still think he'd give Thor a fight. (unless marvel doesn't recognize that). Odin doesn't seem to be all that popular in Norse myths and it seems Tyr was originally the most powerful God and Thor became more popular and probably more powerful than them all in the late era.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#6  Edited By Deadcool

Just with his physical atributes, yeah; Thor is stronger than him and he still having the Thorforce.

Note: Odin lifts just 60 tons, as far as I know, but I can't remember the source, so, there is a posibility for me to be wrong.

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Enosisik

The marvel site says that on his profile but it says that 60 tons was good considering his age, so he may become stronger after his resurrection. Idk , 60 sounds so low considering he is a sky father.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jorgevy

he can probably give himself more power with the odinforce, that's why it's so low IMO

also, isn't Thor the Norse God of War? I thought it was

got it confused with strenght LOL he's the god of strenght

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Enosisik

Nope Odin was god of war,battle victory,death,poetry,wisdom,prophecy and I forget the others. Thor was got of strength and thunder/storms and I think oak trees, not sure if that's him. I'm sure he had some other written or unwritten battle related ones like bravery or honor since the Nordics worshiped him during times of great need.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Thor has already surpassed Odin

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @Jnr6Lil said:

... Explain.
    Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@TheGoldenOne said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

... Explain.

Odin want an heir who's powers surpassed Asgard

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @Jnr6Lil said:

@TheGoldenOne said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

... Explain.

So Thor is already more powerful than Odin with the Odinforce because Odin wants an heir whose powers surpassed Asgard?
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By dernman

smh

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@TheGoldenOne said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@TheGoldenOne said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

... Explain.

So Thor is already more powerful than Odin with the Odinforce because Odin wants an heir whose powers surpassed Asgard?

Essentially there's a good chance Thor was destined to surpass Odin since birth

katanalauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By katanalauncher

Should Odin be dead or hibernating w/o odin force?

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jeanroygrant

@TheGoldenOne said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

@TheGoldenOne said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

... Explain.

No, he doesn't really know how to use it close to as well as his dad. When he saved all the lost Asgardians on earth he fainted doing so. Odin would have done that easily. Odin with the Odin Force has restored galaxies, maybe destroyed some ( Classic Odin ), and in Fear Itself took one step and restored the whole earth. Thor will be extremly powerful, because of four stuff. 1 Being the son of Odin 2 Being the son of Gaea 3 Having the Odin Force 4 Runes Magic. With this he should be in Elder God level, but for me this should be much higher, maybe Abstract. There is a person on this site who has an interesting theory on Rune King Thor. Maybe he will show you.

@Deadcool said:

Just with his physical atributes, yeah; Thor is stronger than him and he still having the Thorforce.

Note: Odin lifts just 60 tons, as far as I know, but I can't remember the source, so, there is a posibility for me to be wrong.

Odin stomped Thor with brute force already.

Odin should be as strong or stronger than Vil, Ve, and Serpent without the Odin Force. Which all should stomp Thor hard.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By PowerHerc

Odin without the Odin-Force is not as powerful overall nor is he as strong, let alone stronger, than Thor.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Deadcool

@jeanroygrant said:

Odin should be as strong or stronger than Vil, Ve, and Serpent without the Odin Force. Which all should stomp Thor hard.

Oh really?! I missed that, which issue? I haven't been reading Fraction's Thor

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jeanroygrant

@Deadcool said:

@jeanroygrant said:

Oh really?! I missed that, which issue? I haven't been reading Fraction's Thor

Twice.

1)

2)

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Deadcool

@jeanroygrant: I expected something different.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jeanroygrant

@Deadcool said:

@jeanroygrant: I expected something different.

Like what.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Deadcool

@jeanroygrant: I epected a depowered version of Odin without odinforce, Odin hitting Thor doesn't mean that he is stronger.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By z3ro180

in tearms of power odin is way more powerful and stronger

greenteaforme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By greenteaforme

Gaea's children are extremely powerful.

This most powerful of Gaea's children is "Atum the God Eater". He ate several different pantheons' versions of gods of the dead. Atum has consumed multipled gods, fought the serpent Set to exhaustion (an Elder God), and is the sole reason the Elder Gods were defeated and set from the mortal plane of earth. He has consumed multiple Elder Gods, including Thor. Atum was one of the most powerful entities in the entire Marvel universe. He only "died" because he absorbed too many gods to contain and their energies radiated out of him in an explosion. Dying because you ate too many gods is not exactly a sign of weakness.

Thor is siblings with Atum. Thor is the child of an Elder God, and I'd assume that most of his power actually comes from Gaea and not Odin, as Odin has other children that are not on the same level as Thor.

Enyalios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Enyalios

Odin has never been depicted without the Odin Force, so absolute conclusive statements that Thor is more powerful cannot be made. However, inferences can be made based on three main factors:

1: No Asgardian even comes close to Thor's strength or durability levels. Even those who are supposed to be stronger than the average Asgardians don't break the 50 ton range. Loki used to be described as being in the 75 ton range, but that was specifically stated to be because of his giant blood. Even if Odin was the strongest of the Asgardians, he's probably not going to be twice as strong as the strongest Asgardian and even if he is, its well known Thor is far beyond the 100 ton range. Balder and Tyr, Thor's brothers and full Asgardians, are in the 40-50 ton bracket.

2: All the powers that Odin possess comes from the Odin Force and/or Rune magic. We've never seen Odin do anything that was considered him doing it without the aid of these two power sources. Mjolnir enhances Thor's powers and gives him some cool tricks to use, but it doesn't power him. Thor isn't the god of Thunder because of Mjolnir but because that's his birthright. He can call down storms, control the earth, etc without the use of Mjolnir, the hammer simply allows him to focus his energies and enhance the outcomes.

3: When we did see Thor gain possession of the Odinforce and the Runes, in essence, when he was granted the same powers as his father's, it was heavily implied that he had surpassed Odin in power by a significant margin. Indeed, he broke the Ragnorok cycle and caused fear in those who preyed on it, fear that they never showed for Odin, and Odin knew that he did not possess the power neccessary to end the cycle, but Thor did.

None of this is taking into consideration, as stated above, the nature of Gaia's children. Her children were the titans of old, the beings that came before the skyfathers. ALL of her children are powerful.

So while we can't see with absolute certainty one way or the other, its an easy assumption to make that Odin, without the Odinforce, is weaker than Thor, probably by a huge margin.

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.