Follow

Obadiah Stane

Character » Obadiah Stane appears in 116 issues.

Obadiah Stane was the first man to use the identity of the Iron Monger. The billionaire industrialist used the Iron Monger armor in a battle against his rival and arch-nemesis, Anthony Stark/Iron Man.

Bridges: First Iron Man Had No Script

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Actor Jeff Bridges reveals that they only had a rough outline to work with for the first movie

No Caption Provided
    I have to say that one of my absolute favorite actors has to be Jeff Bridges. Ever since watching 'The Big Lebowski' I really thought that there were few actors as good as he. I did not think it was possible to reinforce my opinion of him until I saw him in Iron Man play Obadiah Stane. That performance only solidified his incredible acting abilities in my opinion. But wait, there is more! In a recent interview with InContention, the actor not only recounted his five decade long acting career, but he went into detail of the film process for the first Favreau directed Iron Man film. It was in this interview that the actor revealed that the film only had a rough outline, that it did not have a complete script. I think that was when my jaw hit the floor.

“They had no script, man,” Bridges exclaims. “They had an outline. We would show up for big scenes every day and we wouldn’t know what we were going to say. We would have to go into our trailer and work on this scene and call up writers on the phone, ‘You got any ideas?’ Meanwhile the crew is tapping their foot on the stage waiting for us to come on.”

Bridges, director Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr. would literally act out sequences during primitive rehearsals, Downey taking on Bridges’s role and vice versa, to find and essentially improvise their way to full scenes, the actor recounts. Bridges says that the entire production was probably saved by the improv prowess of the film’s director and star.

“You’ve got the suits from Marvel in the trailer with us saying, ‘No, you wouldn’t say that,’” Bridges remembers. “You would think with a $200 million movie you’d have the shit together, but it was just the opposite. And the reason for that is because they get ahead of themselves. They have a release date before the script, ‘Oh, we’ll have the script before that time,’ and they don’t have their shit together.

“Jon dealt with it so well,” Bridges continues. “It freaked me out. I was very anxious. I like to be prepared. I like to know my lines, man, that’s my school. Very prepared. That was very irritating, and then I just made this adjustment. It happens in movies a lot where something’s rubbing against your fur and it’s not feeling right, but it’s just the way it is. You can spend a lot of energy bitching about that or you can figure out how you’re going to do it, how you’re going to play this hand you’ve been dealt. What you can control is how you perceive things and your thinking about it. So I said, ‘Oh, what we’re doing here, we’re making a $200 million student film. We’re all just fuckin’ around! We’re playin’. Oh, great!’ That took all the pressure off. ‘Oh, just jam, man, just play.’ And it turned out great!”

All I can say is, wow. I can vouch for having paid to see Iron Man in theater's three times, that is how much I loved the first film. To think that the people behind the film only had a general outline of a screenplay to work with and lacked a structured script is really incredible. If Favreau and Downey Jr. were able to deliver what is in my opinion, one of the (if not the) greatest super hero movie ever, then topping what the first film with the sequel should be no hard task. Does finding out that so much of the script was made up as they went along change your opinion of the film? Are you looking forward to the sequel? 

Iron Man 2 is set to hit theaters on May 7th, 2010.
    Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Dr. Detfink

Makes sense now when I think about it, a good chunk of the movie is Robert Downey Jr in a room by himself trying to upgrade his armor. Credit the improv of Downey Jr to carry that film. 

It makes me nervous how they are going to approach the second film because so much was added Hammer, War Machine, Whiplash, Black Widow...

Fantasma Ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Fantasma Ghost

Complete surprise for me, I thought they had put a lot of time to the script, because it was really good. But as he said, apparently the quality of the actors and director, pushed them through. I personally think, that Iron Man is the best superhero movie ever, thanks for this piece of information!

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Darkchild

Thats just awesome

Niko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Niko

It would be kind of funny if the second movie suffers for actually having a script.

Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hellos

Tony Stark doesn't need a script, he wings it like a pro!

Whitley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Whitley

It makes me a lot more nervous about IM2 because it seems like MARVEL is going to insist on a lot more and trying to go cheap with bringing in Cheadle instad of paying Howard what he should be getting.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Decept-O

Whoa, Babs, that is some interesting news to say the very least.   It reveals how much influence the studios have regarding their desire for the $ profit factor, which is understandable, but to push it all through without a script---I'm just amazed that happened.  With the amount of money involved I am just floored by that 4-1-1.  Sheesh. 
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bruce Vain

WOW...I had no idea that Iron Man didn't even have a script . ha ha Interesting news thanks Babs. 

And I loved Jeff Bridges in "The Men That Stare At Goats " Ha Ha
    Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Agent Buttons
    "Tony Stark was able to build this in a cave!!.........with a bunch of scraps!!" LOL
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Media_Master

Interesting to hear.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Decept-O

@Babs:  Can you imagine Tobey McGuire's reaction if he had to film Spidey under similar circumstances?  Kirsten Dunst?  
    How do you think they'd react if such a scenario happened to them? 

The difference between a working actor who works and actors who well....complain a lot.    "Shut up, Donnie!"
    Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gregomasta

Hah, Marvel should get their shit together.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#13  Edited By gmanfromheck

This just seems crazy for a movie that is driven by so much special FX that they would just allow them to stand around thinking of what to say.  Rolling the camera isn't exactly cheap.  How come we haven't seen tons of outtakes?  How come no one else has said anything until now?  But maybe they're just wacky enough to do something like this.  I just think we would've heard about it before.  With all the crew on the set, some anonymous dude would've spoken up before.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PrinceIMC

Just goes to show that with the right cast and a flexible director you can get gold. I'm sure this wouldn't work with lots of movies but sometimes you gotta let the actors do what they do best.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Downey carried the last film and he's carrying the next one
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By goldenkey

sounds great but that only works so many times.  Lets hope they have a script for the 2nd movie because I doubt Downey is gonna be taling to himself in a room most of the movie and bridges isn't in it.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By goldenkey
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    "Downey carried the last film and he's carrying the next one "

he was by far the best thing of the last movie, but Howard and Bridges were great.
    solocup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By solocup
    @Hellos said:
    "

Tony Stark doesn't need a script, he wings it like a pro!

"
    "The Dude doesn't need a script, he wings it like a pro"

fixed it for you...
    Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kid_Zombie
    @G-Man said:
    " This just seems crazy for a movie that is driven by so much special FX that they would just allow them to stand around thinking of what to say.  Rolling the camera isn't exactly cheap.  How come we haven't seen tons of outtakes?  How come no one else has said anything until now?  But maybe they're just wacky enough to do something like this.  I just think we would've heard about it before.  With all the crew on the set, some anonymous dude would've spoken up before. "
    Actually they have stated this many times before, Jon Fav has mentioned in many interviews how they threw out pages of the script and told them to role with it to get a more natural and real feel. RDJ also has stated about how they improved a lot of it in many interveiws and "sneek peeks" around the time the movie was coming out.

This is what i always said when so many people were saying "the original writers did great, why hire a new guy for number 2?" because the original writers didnt do good ha ha there were like 4 different writers and they ended up improving majority of it ha ha ha
    Tamed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By Tamed

How can he have had a five decade long acting career if he's only 59? Did he start acting when he was 11?

Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#21  Edited By Dr. Detfink

Its not like they worked without any references at all.

Tony Stark's origin is pretty straight forward. It was just a matter or how to re-imagine it. I'd say the only time you might have been challenged to have a screenwriter was in the Tony and Pepper scenes.

Also how much script does it take to re-shoot the CGI scene where Iron Man returns to the desert to finish off the weapons depot and get chased by the two jet fighters?

Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By Om1kron

not to be too overly critical Babs, but Iron Man was one of his WEAKER performances. He's made at least 70 awesome films.

~Mystery~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ~Mystery~

Interesting

drawme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By drawme

I can´t wait for the movie to hit the theaters.

G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By G'bandit

awesome xD

Avatar image for deadpool_a_k_a_wade_wilson
    DeadPool a.k.a Wade Wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Not The Greatest! But One Of The Greatest!

MatthewTie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MatthewTie
    @Tamed said:

"How can he have had a five decade long acting career if he's only 59? Did he start acting when he was 11? "

Earlier than that.  His first film was when he was still an infant.  He is from an acting family.  He appeared on his fathers' show as a child.  There was never a time in his life when he wasn't in the business.        
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Moomin123

I loved the Iron Monger. If only he had more screen time in the suit...
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Nova`Prime`

That's really interesting, but does a comic book movie really need a script? Not really, there is so much reference material for how the characters interact that the actors could just wing it for the majority. But like I've been saying all along, if you have great actors the script doesn't matter, especially when you get actors who are some of the best in their craft

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By King Quisling

That's incredible. Although, I'm still afraid of Jeff Bridges. 

Whitley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Whitley
    @Nova`Prime`: 

You know it is that same thought Todd M. said a bout a decade or so ago only it was about artists not needing any writers in order to do a comic book. I think the vast majority of Image comics illustrate that error in judgment.
    deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

Wow!  
    What was it Jon Lovitz said? "Acting"? "Genius!"

John_Martone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By John_Martone

That's kind of amazing. I mean, Bridges sounds a bit more bitter than the skew of the article lets on, but the end product was exactly what the movie needed. Here's hoping that somehow they don't have to go through with all of that next time around, but that it still has the same shine.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#34  Edited By jakob187

I don't understand how people liked Iron Man but hated Superman Returns.  Seriously.  Both were boring as sin.  I am willing to check out Iron Man 2, but it's just because I see War Machine in the movie poster...and Don Cheadle as War Machine just seems BANANAS! 

Also, Babs...have you ever seen The Fisher King?  Bridges has DEFINITELY done better movies than Iron Man...but he DID play a good Obadiah Stone.

crazywolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By crazywolf

Interesting info to read about

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#36  Edited By HaloKing343

Wow that's amazing

Have you seen the movie Stepbrothers? Literally 80% of it is improv if not more. That's just intense, probably more improv in that movie than any other movie I've ever seen.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.