Oa Concept Art from the Green Lantern film

• 55 results
Posted by inferiorego (24734 posts) - - Show Bio
Superherohype recently reported that two pieces of concept art for the upcoming Green Lantern film were released. Both pieces or art are depictions of Oa, the home of the Green Lantern Corps. The artwork itself is pretty stunning, but it's making many people think, "how much of Earth and Oa are we going to see?" Will it be split down the middle, or will one of the planets be the centerpiece for the film? Maybe the synopsis will shed some light on things:

"In a universe as vast as it is mysterious, a small but powerful force has existed for centuries. Protectors of peace and justice, they are called the Green Lantern Corps. A brotherhood of warriors sworn to keep intergalactic order, each Green Lantern wears a ring that grants him superpowers. But when a new enemy called Parallax threatens to destroy the balance of power in the Universe, their fate and the fate of Earth lie in the hands of their newest recruit, the first human ever selected: Hal Jordan. "  

As much as I'd like to most of this film take place on Oa, I have a good feeling that the majority will be on Earth, at least for the first film. How much of a majority is the only real question now. The first picture (above right) is great, and in the center, where the light is coming out, I'm sure is where the central power battery will be located. I love how the buildings (as they should) look incredibly alien, almost like stalactites and stalagmites you find in caves. The second picture (directly above) I'm almost positive is the Green Lantern cemetery, and the concept art for this as well is pretty cool, especially if we get an overhead shot of rows and rows of Lanterns that died in duty. As you probably know, this work won't completely translate onto the big screen, and there will most likely be some changes, but so far so good. What do you guys think? Do you like the concept art? What locations for the Green Lantern universe do you want to see?
Staff
#1 Posted by Blindside002 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm liking this, can't wait to see how well this goes!

#2 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio

I like them. Curious to see how it will be in the big screen. As for the location I think that Earth will be shown more in this movie and Oa more in the sequel.

#3 Posted by carnivalofsins00 (938 posts) - - Show Bio

nice! ive been excited for this for so long. finally!

#4 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

gorgeous, man do I absolutely love that cemetery. 
Here is hoping they can translate some of that into motion.

#5 Posted by bobtv (81 posts) - - Show Bio

I love concept art, and I love more info about the green lantern film, so this made my day.

#6 Posted by mickoreo_LZ (250 posts) - - Show Bio

Art looks great. This movie is shaping up to be killer. Hopefully it lives up to the hype and expectations

#7 Posted by Crimson Eagle (1848 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks good, but where is the central power battery?

and in the second picture is that half of Sinestro's face on the left side?

#8 Posted by countvontrey (419 posts) - - Show Bio

Concept art is too cool. Even if they change it completely or didn't even use this model for the film, it's still cool to see.

#9 Posted by inferiorego (24734 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crimson Eagle said:
"

Looks good, but where is the central power battery?

and in the second picture is that half of Sinestro's face on the left side?

"
very center of the first pic. Obviously, it's in some sort of building, but I assume it's where the light is coming from...
2nd pic: When I first saw the stars on the left, it looked like Magneto to me. (his helmet and upper torso) 
::start sarcasm:: Yep... Magneto... because if there's one thing I know, it's that Magneto will become a member of Sinestro Corps ::end sarcasm::
Seriously, that would be an awesome comic crossover though.
Staff
#10 Posted by 00 Raiser (442 posts) - - Show Bio

I see this depicts the earlier days of Oa. I know current Oa the area where the Central Battery sits at is a vast city.
#11 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2245 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome to Oa...
I always imagined Oa to be more glowing green, with futuristic emerald cities and buildings made out of glowing green energy (almost)

So this is Oa:
Movie Concept Art

Movie Concept Art

and this is the Green Lantern's Central Power Battery:  
Movie Power Battery

and this is Green Lantern's costume:
#12 Edited by Crimson Eagle (1848 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego: agreed, Magneto joining a corps would be sick. Imagine his powers combined with the corps, he may be unstoppable. 

@ArtisticNeedham: I also thought that Oa would be greener and with the central battery in the center.
#13 Posted by caesarsghost (559 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome, just awesome
#14 Posted by N7_Normandy (2430 posts) - - Show Bio
@caesarsghost said:
" awesome, just awesome "
#15 Posted by LightBright (4297 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooooh...O_O 

So pretty! I'm so excited for this movie!!

#16 Posted by Overguardian (88 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh. Looks so barren and unformed. So many natural looking structures. 
The Guardians are egotists. When they build something they make sure that it's a symbol of their power and advancement. They want to proclaim "Hey, look, how awesome are we that we built all this!" The whole of Oa is practically one big ziggurat.
Oa here looks to be made mostly of natural formations. Not what I'd prefer. 
And it's so grey. It looks lifeless. Oa is a bustling metropolis. 

And I want to ask a question. WHY do alien things need to look "alien"? 
Yes, I'm asking that. 
We have no idea what alien design structure would look like. Why is it logical that it would have different design philosophy from ours? 
We have no clue what alien stuff would look like, so saying something looks "authentic" as an alien construct is dumb. 
And yes, I know alien also refers to "Foreign" or 'Other", but again, why do we assume they would look foreign to our sensibilities at all?

#17 Posted by Decept-O (7278 posts) - - Show Bio

The concept art is indeed incredible.  Very very impressive.  Like tonis says, I hope it translates well into the movie!  

Thanks for getting this, it is great.
#18 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

That's pretty awesome.

#19 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

cant wait 

#20 Posted by Metatron_Da_Don (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

that does look like Magneto

#21 Posted by dewboy01 (1876 posts) - - Show Bio

weird looking power battery, but it still can get some kicks for the movie, including oa.
#22 Posted by ninjadude853 (270 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like the symbiotic look the suit has.

#23 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

looks sweet
#24 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

That looks really cool. I'm psyched for this movie more and more every day :)

#25 Posted by batman_is_god (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

in secret origins is was a very good looking place, like a palace. Also, the whole thing was yellow. 

Why do I feel they are trying to turn GL into something dark?

#26 Posted by blaakmawf (187 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet!

#27 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

cool sick!!!

#28 Posted by Namor1987 (1889 posts) - - Show Bio
@tonis:
Me too I like the row that be a awesome place. That kinda reminds me of a wedding place for some reason
#29 Posted by manofsteel42 (227 posts) - - Show Bio

it looks awesome but it kinda looks like a graveyard and a castle
#30 Posted by Theodore (3445 posts) - - Show Bio

nice looks sweeeet

#31 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

Makes you want to read GREEN LANTERN: THE MOVIE: THE COMIC. lol

#32 Posted by alex frost (8 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a feeling this is going to be a disapointment. His costume look to cartoonish and i just dont yhink its going to be big. sorry
#33 Posted by kevdude (85 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome I can't wait!  Geoff Johns has said most of the movie will be in space,  and those are just 2 images of Oa, we have the whole movie still to see so we will def see more.  :)

#34 Posted by TheMarvelFanboy (270 posts) - - Show Bio

The second design looks amazing

#35 Posted by SlightConfuse (105 posts) - - Show Bio

trialer comes with the harry potter movie next month

#36 Edited by Anwar (11 posts) - - Show Bio

The concept art for the Star Wars prequels looked amazing and we all know how that went...
just saying, I hope this movie will be better

#37 Posted by Journey Into Chaos (324 posts) - - Show Bio

oooh pretty

#38 Posted by Rabbit Tots (477 posts) - - Show Bio

My mind is blow away. The artwork is fasinating!
#39 Posted by ComicCrazy (1537 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow that is really AWESOME!!!!!!!!! all the concepts and concept art have been pretty amazing for this movie I just hope the final product is as good.
#40 Posted by #1ElderScrollsFan (1991 posts) - - Show Bio

They look purdy!!!

#41 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

looks cool...

#42 Posted by fACEmelter88 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

Figured it would be brighter and more green...but that makes too much sense i guess.....

#43 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not too impressed just yet... looks average, its nothing unexpected.  I wonder how this will compare to First Flight.

#44 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooooaaaah!! *pun intended*

#45 Edited by NightFang (10068 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not happy with Parallax being the main villain in this movie, but the concept art looks cool and I think the movie should be set on both Earth and Oa.

#46 Posted by caesarsghost (559 posts) - - Show Bio
@Overguardian:
eh, hold on a sec...

yeah, the guardians are egotists- I agree with you there. But we are just seeing designs for a planet here, hence their egotism could be reflected in other aspects of the film. Also, what better way to show how cool you are than just to let your planet do the talking? It is made up of imposing geologic formations- I think the filmmakers did that on purpose; such a design really shows you how old and magisterial they are. And we know that they gave up emotion eons ago, so the "grey and lifeless" part of it I think is spot on. And what part of Oa is supposed to be so bustling? The Oa of the comics is serene- its like a temple or a cathedral (which the concept artist did an excellent job of visually portraying- just look at how high everything is, the scale of the thing, makes you feel like you are in some kind of holy place), we see that in the way everyone acts around Salaak and the Citadel and Morro and the crypt and all the statuary (if this was not the case, why would everyone be so stunned at Arisia's actions at the end of Blackest Night: GLC?). The only exception to this cathedral-like feel of the Oa in the comics is where Kilowog does his training and Guy's bar. 

And why does everything need to look so alien? A. everything in the film does not look as alien as you are making it out to be. They have enclosed buildings made of some sort of stone in a skyscraper format... don't get much more earth-bound than that. B. We have seen earth. I think its a wise decision on the part of the design team to show us something new: one of the major theme's of the entire Green Lantern comics line (and definitely the Secret Origin arc, just read my reviews on it to get more of this) is how Hal Jordan is living this rather ordinary earth-bound life, everything around him is "normal" (and going down-hill) when suddenly this 'alien' presence asserts itself into his world and changes everything- it broadens his horizons and makes him a better person, thats part of what makes GL so compelling; an ordinary person in extraordinary circumstances. Making the costume and the Lantern look more 'alien' is playing to this deeper, more thematic/intellectual level of the film, and I think its a stroke of genius.  
#47 Posted by dondasch (926 posts) - - Show Bio

Art work looks incredible.  Of the two possible locations seen in Green Lantern, one has to be Earth, no questions asked, as it is Hal Jordan's home planet.  OA will likely be seen in the movie, but I don't know if it should have a dominating role.

On a similar note, I was reading and re reading the synopsis when two items stood out of the sentence:  
A brotherhood of warriors sworn to keep intergalactic order, each Green Lantern wears a ring that grants him superpowers.

Were there not female Green Lanterns ?  If so, and I seem to recall there were, this part of the synopsis seems in error.

#48 Posted by Lvenger (20021 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. This is getting me hyped for Green Lantern now.

#49 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicCrazy said:
"Wow that is really AWESOME!!!!!!!!! all the concepts and concept art have been pretty amazing for this movie I just hope the final product is as good. "
#50 Posted by dvorak (187 posts) - - Show Bio

I will buy the inevitable book of concept art. This look amazing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.