Why is Green Goblin's appearnce considered ridiculous?

  • 51 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Firestormnuclerman (2097 posts) - - Show Bio

I've seen a whole lot worse for super villains looking ridiculous such as Calender Man, 8 Ball, Killer Moth, Leap Frog, Frog Man, etc. In my view Green Goblin doesn't look ridiculous at all. Why is his main comic book look considered ridiculous? Someone please tell me.

#2 Posted by Shatterstar (4539 posts) - - Show Bio

What part of it isn't ridiculous?

Moderator
#3 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

have you looked at him?

#4 Posted by V (735 posts) - - Show Bio

i dunno he's kinda good looking if you like green goblins with aladdin shoes.

#5 Posted by Unbelonger (2770 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep, ridiculous. Hobgobling looks better though still..

zzzzzz

#6 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio
Nighthunter said:
"have you looked at him?"
Please tell me ur being snide. Any hero in a costume is theoretically ridiculous
#7 Posted by Unbelonger (2770 posts) - - Show Bio

I suppose they mean that he looks specially ridiculous. Ridiculous among the fictional costume-wearing people.

zzzzz

 

#8 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
Darkchild said:
"Nighthunter said:
"have you looked at him?"
Please tell me ur being snide. Any hero in a costume is theoretically ridiculous"
Not really.Superman may be wearing panties over his tights but c'mon..a man dressed as a goblin? With the little purple hat and the booties...ridiculous.
Moderator
#9 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"Darkchild said:
"Nighthunter said:
"have you looked at him?"
Please tell me ur being snide. Any hero in a costume is theoretically ridiculous"
Not really.Superman may be wearing panties over his tights but c'mon..a man dressed as a goblin? With the little purple hat and the booties...ridiculous."
their all pretty damn ridiculous
#10 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio
Who said he looked ridiculous?
 
Have you ever seen anyone outside of a comic, who wasn't going to a comic book convention wearing a cape, spandex, had an insignia, utility belt, and so on?
 
It's a comic book and you have to forget about the outside world.
 
He looks fine in his world.
#11 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio
Darkchild said:
"Nighthunter said:
"have you looked at him?"
Please tell me ur being snide. Any hero in a costume is theoretically ridiculous"
yeah but some look cool, goblin doesn't
#12 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio
Darkchild said:
"Nighthunter said:
"have you looked at him?"
Please tell me ur being snide. Any hero in a costume is theoretically ridiculous"
yeah but some look cool, goblin doesn't
#13 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio
Nighthunter said:
"Darkchild said:
"Nighthunter said:
"have you looked at him?"
Please tell me ur being snide. Any hero in a costume is theoretically ridiculous"
yeah but some look cool, goblin doesn't"
lmao yeah but cool and ridiculous coincide
#14 Posted by Firestormnuclerman (2097 posts) - - Show Bio
Cezar_TheScribe said:
"
Who said he looked ridiculous?
 
Have you ever seen anyone outside of a comic, who wasn't going to a comic book convention wearing a cape, spandex, had an insignia, utility belt, and so on?
 
It's a comic book and you have to forget about the outside world.
 
He looks fine in his world.
"

In the Spider Man encyc  it was mentioned that although he looks ridiculous he is one of Spider Man's most dangerous enemies. It's mentioned in the Green Goblin main page in the Spider Man encyc.
#15 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

There are a lot sillier characters than him, but I think it's because he's such a high ranking villain. Most people who dress like that are C or D list bad guys.

#16 Posted by Fox Hound (50 posts) - - Show Bio
I think he looks really cool with the shadow effect and the sinister look :)
#17 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio
Firestormnuclerman said:
"Cezar_TheScribe said:
"
Who said he looked ridiculous?
 
Have you ever seen anyone outside of a comic, who wasn't going to a comic book convention wearing a cape, spandex, had an insignia, utility belt, and so on?
 
It's a comic book and you have to forget about the outside world.
 
He looks fine in his world.
"

In the Spider Man encyc  it was mentioned that although he looks ridiculous he is one of Spider Man's most dangerous enemies. It's mentioned in the Green Goblin main page in the Spider Man encyc."

You mean in the book below, published by Marvel?
#18 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio

The Green Goblin has eye lashes bigger that Lily and Songbird.... pathetic...

Green Goblin and his super eye lashes















#19 Posted by Firestormnuclerman (2097 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by Girth (1041 posts) - - Show Bio

Funny.

  
#21 Posted by Firestormnuclerman (2097 posts) - - Show Bio
Fox Hound said:
"
I think he looks really cool with the shadow effect and the sinister look :)
"

I am amazed people haven't said it looks like he is carrying his weapons in what looks like purse.
#22 Posted by geometry (1243 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm having a hard time believing that someone CAN'T look upon this costume and answer this question for themselves.

#23 Posted by Dr. ? man (154 posts) - - Show Bio

In order to be taken seriously, Norman knew the moment he put on that Goblin costume that he would have to scar Spider-Man for life. You look like that and you're facing a protagonist known for his wit, you better throw someone he cares about off a bridge or you'll never live it down.

#24 Edited by Dr. ? man (154 posts) - - Show Bio

But I will say the Hobgoblin has the best Goblin visual.

#25 Posted by Lunacyde (18667 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly I don't see the problem....Goblins are badass mythical creatures.....if only he didnt wear purple...I like his look though.

#26 Posted by Firestormnuclerman (2097 posts) - - Show Bio

Come on to diss purple.

Joker's main costume color is Purple.

Add in further a piece of trash Vile Alien Dictator Mongul's main costume color is purple.  Really a bad color for a super villain is Pink. Just about any super villain would be hard to take seriously with their main costume color being purple.

#27 Posted by Lunacyde (18667 posts) - - Show Bio
You can't tell me this isnt B. A.

#28 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
Lunacyde said:
"You can't tell me this isnt B. A.

"
It's not.
Moderator
#29 Posted by ComicCrazy (1537 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey green goblin is a good villain.

#30 Posted by Hypershock (575 posts) - - Show Bio

Why Green Goblin's costume is ridiculous:

  1. A purple elf hat, with Alladin shoes and a weird tunic kind of thing that only covers up to his hips
  2. He carries all of his stuff in what should be considered a purse
  3. Ridiculously big eyes
  4. The smile of a child molester
  5. Ridiculously big ears
  6. His mouth makes up more than half of his face
#31 Posted by Manofjustice (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, he dressess like an elf....

#32 Posted by sonofhercules95 (703 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the ultimate green goblin's apearance


#33 Posted by SUNMAN (7228 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"Darkchild said:
"Nighthunter said:
"have you looked at him?"
Please tell me ur being snide. Any hero in a costume is theoretically ridiculous"
Not really.Superman may be wearing panties over his tights but c'mon..a man dressed as a goblin? With the little purple hat and the booties...ridiculous."
the majority of hero and villain costumes are ridiculous. 
#34 Posted by Lunacyde (18667 posts) - - Show Bio

Its not any more ridiculous than Mad Hatter, Scarecrow, or Daredevil in his Ronald McDonald suit.

#35 Posted by The Rookie (3126 posts) - - Show Bio
Hypershock said:
"Why Green Goblin's costume is ridiculous:
  1. A purple elf hat, with Alladin shoes and a weird tunic kind of thing that only covers up to his hips
  2. He carries all of his stuff in what should be considered a purse
  3. Ridiculously big eyes
  4. The smile of a child molester
  5. Ridiculously big ears
  6. His mouth makes up more than half of his face
"
Most Guy in NY carry bags like that and NO they are not gay.
#36 Posted by SUNMAN (7228 posts) - - Show Bio
The Rookie said:
"Hypershock said:
"Why Green Goblin's costume is ridiculous:
  1. A purple elf hat, with Alladin shoes and a weird tunic kind of thing that only covers up to his hips
  2. He carries all of his stuff in what should be considered a purse
  3. Ridiculously big eyes
  4. The smile of a child molester
  5. Ridiculously big ears
  6. His mouth makes up more than half of his face
"
Most Guy in NY carry bags like that and NO they are not gay.
"
most guys in NY do not carry bags like that. Some do the city is huge, but most do not.
#37 Posted by Firestormnuclerman (2097 posts) - - Show Bio
The Rookie said:
"Hypershock said:
"Why Green Goblin's costume is ridiculous:
  1. A purple elf hat, with Alladin shoes and a weird tunic kind of thing that only covers up to his hips
  2. He carries all of his stuff in what should be considered a purse
  3. Ridiculously big eyes
  4. The smile of a child molester
  5. Ridiculously big ears
  6. His mouth makes up more than half of his face
"
Most Guy in NY carry bags like that and NO they are not gay."

I would further add look at Indiana Jones. He was carrying the stones in The Temple of Doom in what looks like a purse but he didn't get any flack for it. Neither should Green Goblin. Guys can carry their binoculars in a similar container it doesn't make them gay.
You want a super villain that should given flack is one that carries his weapons in a fanny pack.
#38 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
Hypershock said:
"Why Green Goblin's costume is ridiculous:
  1. The smile of a child molester
"
Well he did have a "thing" with Gwen...not sure she would be consider a child even though she is as old as GG's son.
#39 Posted by Alexander Anderson (4030 posts) - - Show Bio
Lunacyde said:
"You can't tell me this isnt B. A.
"
Yeah, that is badass.  Unfortunately most artists don't portray him that well, and the overall costume design is still sorta silly.
#40 Posted by Firestormnuclerman (2097 posts) - - Show Bio
Nobody said:
"Hypershock said:
"Why Green Goblin's costume is ridiculous:
  1. The smile of a child molester
"
Well he did have a "thing" with Gwen...not sure she would be consider a child even though she is as old as GG's son."
More like the smile of a egomanic-demon which is what he is.

Besides I've seen worse costume designs.
Mainly
Polka Dot Man His costume looks like the game Twister.
Crazy Quilt Gradma called, and she wants her quilt back.
Wonder Woman It doesn't matter that she is a Amazon Warrior from what I can see her outfit looks pretty much like women's underwear, and I'm being frank when I say that.
Calender Man His early costume is by far one of the worst I've ever seen in all of Comics.
Rainbow Raider I'm amazed that he thought that colorful costume would be a feared on as a Super Villain.  Maybe next a super villain will call himself Sunshine Bandit, and expect to be taken seriously.
Baron Blood He actually thinks he's inspiring fear, and panic in that lame costume Lord Dracula gave him. He's really inspiring laughter, and pity. I've seen scarier people at Haunted Houses.


#41 Posted by geometry (1243 posts) - - Show Bio
Firestormnuclerman said:
"

I've seen a whole lot worse for super villains looking ridiculous such as Calender Man, 8 Ball, Killer Moth, Leap Frog, Frog Man, etc. In my view Green Goblin doesn't look ridiculous at all. Why is his main comic book look considered ridiculous? Someone please tell me.

"

If you have to ask, you obviously don't have eyes.
#42 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

seriously, if i'd see a green guy with purple clothing (not to mention the F'ing dwarf hat), throwing exploding pumpkins and flying around, I'd jo go to be and sleep out the PcP.

#43 Posted by Clint Barton (123 posts) - - Show Bio

He's A GREEN GOBLIN...how isn't it ridiculous?

#44 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

Goblins are green

#45 Posted by Clint Barton (123 posts) - - Show Bio
Voidheart said:
"Goblins are green"
So are Lizards but the Lizard doesn't call himself the Green Lizard.
#46 Posted by Firestormnuclerman (2097 posts) - - Show Bio
Clint Barton said:
"Voidheart said:
"Goblins are green"
So are Lizards but the Lizard doesn't call himself the Green Lizard.
"
Maybe because Curt Conners was not afraid of Lizards as a child, while Norman Osborne was afraid of a Green Goblin as a child that struck fear into him. So he choose whate he feared as his super villain name just the same as Bruce Wayne choose a Bat as his super hero name even though he feared bats.
#47 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd plus the above post if it still were able to be.

#48 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
Firestormnuclerman said:
"Clint Barton said:
"Voidheart said:
"Goblins are green"
So are Lizards but the Lizard doesn't call himself the Green Lizard.
"
Maybe because Curt Conners was not afraid of Lizards as a child, while Norman Osborne was afraid of a Green Goblin as a child that struck fear into him. So he choose whate he feared as his super villain name just the same as Bruce Wayne choose a Bat as his super hero name even though he feared bats. "
I was joking to begin with...
Moderator
#49 Edited by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

soo damn knew you were him (clint)

#50 Posted by MasterOfReality71 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

I love his costume.  It's retro and comic-booky, like it should be.  I think that there are better variations on the design though, particularly Alex Ross's concept for the movie:
 
 http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/ghostofjealousy/goblin_03-1.jpg
 
Any character will look ridiculous if they're drawn ridiculous though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.