Dark Reign: Goblin Legacy #1, Is It Worth Buying?

Posted by G-Man (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

This Green Goblin one-shot basically consists of two 'classic' Amazing Spider-Man reprints.  Do you know everything there is to know about the Green Goblin and Norman Osoborn?  That's the key factor in deciding whether or not you should buy this issue.

This issue should almost get two ratings.  I went with the content.  I would strongly suggest everyone go back and read the original Spider-Man stories.  Sure they might be a little cheesey today but it's just great stuff.  The two issues reprinted here are worth the $3.99 pricetag.  If you've read them, that would obviously lower the rating/value of this book.  It's just cool to see Norman in his early stages as the Green Goblin and before he even knew Spider-Man's identity.  There's also the stuff with Victoria Hand.  The new pages of content lead us to believe that she may be up to something. 
#1 Edited by MysterioMaximus (927 posts) - - Show Bio

Silver Age Marvel > Modern. I don't really buy anything modern Marvel. I just think it's (mostly) crap. I can't even stand contemporary costumes. Norman Osborn will always be dead to me.

#2 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always wanted to know what in Normans life formed the goblin in his head. Yeah the goblin serum help bring it out but it must of already been buried deep inside of him. I know his history but nothing has really explained what made him crazy to begin with. 

#3 Posted by G-Man (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say the serum made him crazy.  There were probably traces of it before.  The question could be placed whether or not insanity runs in his family.  Harry was never the most stable person but was it due to having Norman as a father or because he too was exposed to the serum?  Norman was always an obsessed business man set to rule as much as he could.

#4 Posted by goldenkey (2920 posts) - - Show Bio

Osborn is Marvels Lex Luther now.  He's selling well, this it just Marvel cashing in on him, and letting some of the readers who don't know his complete history get filled in.
#5 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3404 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the bit with Victoria Hand makes this a bit more worth it. That it doesn't just recap events, but builds on the story.
We also live in the internet age. Too much recapping like this is really not needed that much. Especially with sites like this out there that gives you very detailed information. Hell, Marvel is slow to updated any information on their site.

#6 Posted by LastSon1027 (513 posts) - - Show Bio

This is Marvel's sorry excuse for a tie in. I can't stand Marvel! Lets reprint some old crap and slap a 4 dollar price on it.

#7 Posted by Legacy_ (10699 posts) - - Show Bio

Next Year - Victoria Hand, Director of H.A.M.M.E.R.

#8 Posted by G-Man (18883 posts) - - Show Bio
@LastSon1027 said:
" This is Marvel's sorry excuse for a tie in. I can't stand Marvel! Lets reprint some old crap and slap a 4 dollar price on it. "
Thing is, it wasn't "crap."  The stories reprinted are classic.  It's clear as soon as you open it.  I would hope that those that have already read the issues would see right away that they're just reprints.  This is great for those that haven't read them or don't know everything about Norman.
#9 Posted by Omega Flight (11 posts) - - Show Bio

norman at parents night not a good thing
#10 Posted by G-Man (18883 posts) - - Show Bio
@Omega Flight said:
" norman at parents night not a good thing "
I'd hate to be the teacher that had to talk to him.  
"Hello Mr. Osborn, thanks for coming.  It seems your son Harry might be having emotional problems in class....why are you giving me this glowing pumpkin...?"
BOOM!
#11 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man: Yeah but notice other people who've taken the serum didn't lose it like he did. The goblin must of been locked deep inside of him. Notice how Norman and the Goblin seem to be two different people completely. Ones a power hungry, crooked douche and the other is a maniacal terrorist. What kind of trauma did Ol' Normie suffer in his life to become the Goblin? And why a goblin of all things? You have to be pretty out of it to fly around in a rubber goblin suit. 
#12 Posted by Editman (3472 posts) - - Show Bio

I did a reveiw on this comic!

YES!!! it is worth the purchase! the modern style art, the writing.The history between Norman and Spidey, and Just the history of Norman makes this comic that much more awesome. is my fanboyism showing?

#13 Posted by sora_thekey (8185 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanna know if there's somekind of BND adaptation to those reprints..... 
can someone tell me????
#14 Posted by G-Man (18883 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Quisling said:
" @G-Man: Yeah but notice other people who've taken the serum didn't lose it like he did. The goblin must of been locked deep inside of him. Notice how Norman and the Goblin seem to be two different people completely. Ones a power hungry, crooked douche and the other is a maniacal terrorist. What kind of trauma did Ol' Normie suffer in his life to become the Goblin? And why a goblin of all things? You have to be pretty out of it to fly around in a rubber goblin suit.  "
Hmmm...I'm not sure.  I guess we can say that the Hobgoblin isn't really crazy.  Just crazy in an evil genius way.  At least he's still alive in the "future" when he appeared in the Spider-Girl comics.  But he also took a variation of the Goblin formula.  Jason Macendale, the lame dude that was Jack O'Lantern went a little over the edge after trying to take on the Hobgoblin identity.  He even bonded with a demon, I believe.  And Harry's psychiatrist was just stupid, not crazy...in my opinion.
#15 Edited by MysterioMaximus (927 posts) - - Show Bio
@LastSon1027 said:

"This is Marvel's sorry excuse for a tie in. I can't stand Marvel! Lets reprint some old crap and slap a 4 dollar price on it. "

Crap? You do realize that these classic stories are what give you today’s crap, right? Show some respect.  

Pssh! Kids today don't like anything that's new, but the classic stories, Silver Age Amazing Spider-Man is pretty much one of the best comic book runs ever written. Period! I wonder how many people know that Norman rode on a goofy rocket-broomstick in his first appearance. Heck, I own the original version of that reprinted issue (ASM Vol 1 #39). Without these stories, you wouldn't have these characters.

#16 Posted by TheHood (155 posts) - - Show Bio

I REALLY wanted to like this reprint, but I just couldn't deal with the writing. I understand that this is a key moment in Norman's/Spider-Man's/Marvel's history, but the writing just made it impossible to read. I mean, I can deal with a kinda cheesy plot, but I don't need Peter reminding me about the plot ("I gotta keep the Goblin talking while I untie these ropes!") every other panel...
#17 Posted by G-Man (18883 posts) - - Show Bio
@MysterioMaximus said:
" @LastSon1027 said:

"This is Marvel's sorry excuse for a tie in. I can't stand Marvel! Lets reprint some old crap and slap a 4 dollar price on it. "

Crap? You do realize that these classic stories are what give you today’s crap, right? Show some respect.  

Pssh! Kids today don't like anything that's new, but the classic stories, Silver Age Amazing Spider-Man is pretty much one of the best comic book runs ever written. Period! I wonder how many people know that Norman rode on a goofy rocket-broomstick in his first appearance. Heck, I own the original version of that reprinted issue (ASM Vol 1 #39). Without these stories, you wouldn't have these characters.

"
In LastSon's defense, I think he meant it as in it's just a cheap reprint to cash in on Dark Reign and Norman.  If I wasn't going to review this, I wouldn't have bothered picking it up.  I could see some people being "fooled" into buying it thinking it was all new material if they didn't flip through the pages.  I know I don't usually flip through all the pages of the comics I get before buying them.
#18 Posted by Editman (3472 posts) - - Show Bio
@MysterioMaximus said:
" @LastSon1027 said:

"
Editman Agree's with this post. It was the first time i got to read Stan Lee's writing (ASM # 39) I wish i still had it.
#19 Posted by MysterioMaximus (927 posts) - - Show Bio

It’s just kind of a pet peeve of mine. I can get very defensive of the classic Silver Age Marvel books. I know that a lot of contemporary kids don’t really like the older stuff, but really they owe everything to those works. They’re genius. Sure moments can be corny or dated, but they were also a product of their time. That’s one aspect that fascinated me, looking back on when they were made and how it reflects a whole different era. Plus I think there are very adult undertones, metaphors, and allegories in these stories that really set the bar for what comics have become today. I hate when kids won’t even give them a chance. For modern stuff, I’m much more a DC guy – personally.    

#20 Posted by Bruce Vain (1781 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man where did you get that Get Carter poster? I've never seen that version of the original.
#21 Posted by Citizen 14 (1213 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh man. I loved this comic. It was good to go back. The reprint issues are soo well written. Very worth it.

#22 Posted by G-Man (18883 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bruce Vain said:
" G-Man where did you get that Get Carter poster? I've never seen that version of the original. "
Hmmm...It might be Captain Cascader's.  I was just walking around the office and sitting in everyone's chair since no one was in.
#23 Posted by Bruce Vain (1781 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" @Bruce Vain said:
" G-Man where did you get that Get Carter poster? I've never seen that version of the original. "
Hmmm...It might be Captain Cascader's.  I was just walking around the office and sitting in everyone's chair since no one was in. "

Thanks I'll ask him.
#24 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

I have already read those classic issues, but man...they are still really good even today.

#25 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (18976 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't Marvel do something like this already
#26 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually have this comic but have yet to read it. I'm starting to doubt if I ever will....
#27 Posted by Editman (3472 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" I actually have this comic but have yet to read it. I'm starting to doubt if I ever will.... "
WTF?! Why I must be the only person who thought this was Legit
#28 Posted by Omega Flight (11 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" @Omega Flight said:
"Hello Mr. Osborn, thanks for coming.  It seems your son Harry might be having emotional problems in class....why are you giving me this glowing pumpkin...?"
BOOM! "

and if i remember correctly you said you used to be a teacher
#29 Posted by G-Man (18883 posts) - - Show Bio
@Omega Flight said:
" @G-Man said:
" @Omega Flight said:
BOOM! "
and if i remember correctly you said you used to be a teacher "
That is correct.  I'd hate to have to talk to Norman about any problems his kid might have.
#30 Posted by Omega Flight (11 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" @Omega Flight said:
" @G-Man said:
" @Omega Flight said:
BOOM! "
and if i remember correctly you said you used to be a teacher "
That is correct.  I'd hate to have to talk to Norman about any problems his kid might have. "

yeah me either
#31 Edited by QURebel (13 posts) - - Show Bio
@MysterioMaximus: I love old school marvel i mean thats what i grew up with all the hand me downs from my fam n such, but modern marvel aint bad its pretty good stuff especialy dark reign how norman is the mo f ing man right now n how all the good guys are the bag guys n the bad guys are the good its just crazy how its all flipped...I mean silver age will alwyas be the better but im jus sayin give modern marvel a chance n i unno man dc continuity is bunz at least marvel keeps they history in check...
#32 Posted by Crimson Thunder (286 posts) - - Show Bio

That old issue was iconic in Spider-Man history and a great read. Try it out people

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.