Interview: Victor Gischler talks NOIR with Mike Carroll

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

NOIR features a couple of Dynamite favorite characters: Miss Fury and The Black Sparrow. This five issue mini-series, written by Victor Gischler, Issue #3 came out recently, and Mike Carroll (JENNIFER BLOOD) chatted with Gischler about his work on this book.

No Caption Provided

Mike Carroll: Noir is replete with the wit, drama, tone, delicious plot-twists and good-old-fashioned edge-of-the-seat thrills with which the readers of your novels will be familiar… Do you find it difficult to transcribe that atmosphere and pace from novels to comic-books?

No Caption Provided

Victor Gischler: It took me a few tries to get used to the fact 22 pages meant 22. No more no less. There needs to be a certain rhythm to fit something satisfactory into that space, but the discipline can be good too. Keeps a writer from wasting time. Sometimes now when I get a new idea, I need to sit back and really ask myself if I've come up with a comic book idea or a novel idea. Sometimes it's obvious. Other times not.

MC: Have you been following Rob Williams’ ongoing Miss Fury series? If so, has his take on the reimagined version of the character had any impact on your interpretation?

VG: Oh, yes. I mean, I actually am a bit behind in my reading right now, but I do try to capture some of the edge that Rob brings to Miss Fury. I don't think I do it as well as he does, but I am to some extent following his lead. I think she would be a fun character to team up with some of Dynamite's other pulp characters. I hope that happens.

MC: For the most part, Noir has a timelessness quality that allows it to work equally as a, say, 1940s adventure and as an up-to-the-minute tale that could be happening right now. Is this an approach you consciously chose, or just lucky happenstance?

No Caption Provided

VG: Maybe a little luck there, although I never want to mire any story so firmly into a time period that audiences can't relate. But I do really love the 1930s-40s setting. I spent a LOT of time Googling old cars and guns and clothing. I also think the old setting can complicate things for our characters in simple but helpful ways. I mean, how many jams could they get out of if they'd just had a cell phone, right? The world was a lot bigger then.

MC: Ideal world: you’re offered the chance to revamp any Golden Age comic-book character… Is there any one in particular you’d choose, and why?

VG: That's a tough one. So many to choose from. I think I'd take a shot at anything if allowed the freedom to approach it my own way. I also think it would be cool to take a character hardly anyone remembers and just re-imagine him or her. Mr. Nobody? X-9? Tex Morgan?

Make sure to check out NOIR #3 by Dynamite, which is available now at local comic shops and digital. Also, go here to check out an extended preview of this issue.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By 2cool4fun

Damn dynamite is on fire lately.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.