Flight?!

#1 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright, so as most of you know, I'm a pretty big Noh-Varr fan. But one thing has been bugging me since Secret Invasion, where did he gain the ability to fly? There have been several people who stated that he is now wielding the replica Nega-Bands that the Skrull Captain Mar-Vell had, but I disagree with this. Besides flight, Noh-Varr has yet to show any other abilities of the Nega-Bands, and I have yet to see him actually wear them.

Noh's Gauntlet before meeting Mar-Vell
Noh's gauntlet since joining Dark Avengers
What Noh would look like if he had Nega-Bands(image created by Prof X)

As you can see, besides in the illusion created by Prof X, Noh-Varr's gauntlets which he always is wearing, are clearly di
fferent from the actual Nega-Bands. So I'm going to rule out Nega-Bands for his ability to fly. My first thought when I was that he was still wearing the Jet-Boots he gained while at the Cube. The problem with that is, his boots that he is currently wearing don't look like the Jet-Boots. Also in the last issue of Savage She-Hulk, he was apparently flying, yet I didn't see anything propelling him from his boots.

Jet-Boots(can't really see the actual Boot in this image, but you can see it propelling him)
Current Footwear
#2 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

(Last part of my post got cutoff)

So my question for you guys is, where is Noh-Varr's flight coming from?

#3 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

ironman flies

#4 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

Good question....I'm going with Norman's given him some better boots.

#5 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
ironman flies
Huh?

Hawk said:
Good question....I'm going with Norman's given him some better boots.
His costume did change a bit since joining Dark Avengers, but that was mostly just extending his shorts to pants.

#6 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

I was thinking the same as Hawk, maybe he just got new boots that look and work differently. Or maybe an anti-gravity device on his belt. Now, was he actually flying or was it like one of those things where everyone enters the battle and some of them are in the air? It could just be for the image, or maybe he's jumping, or maybe he's coming down from a ship or something.

#7 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
Buckshot said:
I was thinking the same as Hawk, maybe he just got new boots that look and work differently. Or maybe ... [more]

Strike a pose!
Its clearly a pose for a team picture, but just based of his position, he looks like he is flying. He had a similar pose type of pose on the cover of New Avengers #50, where it looked like he was flying, but since it was a team pose, you can't really tell. Besides this moment here though, I don't think he has flown inside a comic since Secret Invasion #8.
#8 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

I also want to know that in that issue, his whole costume is off from even the Dark Avengers look. He now had long white sleeves, and instead o f the green running all the way down his leg it stopped like thats wear his shorts would have ended, but the white kept going. So it could just be an artist thing.

#9 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's probably just a pose thing and not that he can actually fly since (I think) they played up his acrobatics in Dark Avengers and explicitly show him putting on the boots to fly in another appearance and they haven't actually said he can fly without them. His head and body, to me anyway, actually looks like Sentry's. He seems too thick to me. Maybe it was originally Sentry in a flight pose but they changed it because they didn't want him in the fight. 

#10 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
Buckshot said:
I think it's probably just a pose thing and not that he can actually fly since (I think) they played ... [more]
I thought he looked funny too, but Sentry appeared earlier in the issue.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if he actually flies or if its just a pose.
#11 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

If it is flight and they don't give a reason, I'm going to think it's just that someone didn't know his powers.

#12 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

That would be a pretty good guess lol

This image doesn't let you see his boots either, but its just a cover

#13 Posted by Vlad Tepes Dracula (2208 posts) - - Show Bio

Guessing that he doesnt need the nega / quantum bands to tap that source since he's a 3rd or 4th generation child and his predecessors were all connected to it in someway.

#14 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
Vlad Tepes Dracula said:
Guessing that he doesnt need the nega / quantum bands to tap that source since he's a 3rd or 4th ... [more]
He's not related to Mar-Vell.
#15 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

Quite possibly another exquisitely devised character reduced to "corny" by the incapable hands of a lesser writer.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.