k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm here to tell you that NINJAK brings everything you could possibly want from it. I went in with high expectations (given the publisher's history and creative team, how could I not?) and this issue had me totally absorbed. When I finished the issue, I was left immediately wanting more. The excellent cover may have some of you thinking this is just another action book featuring a seemingly unstoppable badass, but it's much more than that.

Matt Kindt's script makes sure this is story that's both compelling and full of fan service. It brings the cool action you'd obviously expect, but it's hardly a book that relies on the action. This debut chapter pulls you in and teases just how much potential is here. There's an engaging insight into the lead, an unexpected amount of comedy scattered throughout, and a plot that absolutely has enough weight to spill across several issues. To top it off, we're given just the right amount of awesome action that reminds us just how formidable this character really is. I'm left wanting to learn more about Ninjak, the world around him, and witness more of his past and how it shapes who is he today. The script really does a phenomenal job balancing character, story, and sheer fun. And this is just the first issue, people. Yeah, I'm hooked.

The opening sequence is more than enough proof of Clay Mann, Seth Mann, and Ulises Arreola's ability to create some magnificent pages. From the way the panels are presented to the amazing character work to the brilliant level of attention that effects and settings receive, this a comic that's going to bombard your eyes with greatness. The creative and cinematic way these artists tell the story is impressive enough, but then they go ahead and make sure everything in the panels look terrific, too. It's an approach that works so well for Kindt's story and really enhances it. Even if you don't love the script as much as I do, I'm almost certain you'll be happy with the visuals.

The back-up story (written by Kindt and with art by Butch Guice and Arreola) is a greatly appreciated bonus. While the comic shows us current and young Ninjak, this story offers a little more insight into the earlier years of his career. Guice and Arreola craft a stunningly dark atmosphere, offer solid character work and it's cleverly presented (the kiss immediately comes to mind). It's a short tale that adds a little more emotional weight to his story and reminds just just how much history this guy has to offer. Just like the main story, this one leaves me wanting to see even more of Ninjak's life. The objective here was to prove this character has enough material to justify an ongoing and they've most definitely proven just that.

The Bad

I have no noteworthy criticisms about the comic. Well, I guess it's a bummer I can't read the next issue right away? But seriously, this issue exceeded my already high expectations. If you've been anxiously awaiting this issue, I'm feeling pretty confident you're also going to love it.

The Verdict

Many of us have waited months -- some even years -- for a Ninjak series and Valiant made sure it was absolutely worth the wait. Smart, exciting and full of jaw-dropping visuals, NINJAK needs to be on your pull list. It does such an excellent job teasing all this series has to offer. It offers the badass action you'd expect, yet it's so much more than just slick fighting. There's a strong script here, the promise of so much character development, and a legitimate interesting story unfolding. It sprinkles in just the right amount of humor, too. But hey, is anyone honestly surprised that Valiant has created yet another awesome series? Probably not. You've waited for a NINJAK solo series and Valiant's giving you the one you deserve. Go get it. Now comes the tough part: waiting for the second issue. Good thing Valiant always releases extensive previews, right?

MixMastaMicah5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Another winner for valiant. So good

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Looks cool, one of these days when I have some free time I'm gonna have to get around to reading Valiant.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I really like how the first story is about cool ninja martial arts action and how the second story is a very Brubaker-esq style spy fiction.

@k4tzm4n I do have one criticism. At the beginning when Kid Ninjak comes out the cinema it's meant to be London but it looks nothing like it, instead it looks like New York, even down the the yellow cabs and dollars signs on the advertisements.

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Been waiting foreverrrr! On my way to the comic book store after work to grab this! I hope my store has it.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved it.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AllStarSuperman

My only complaint was that the first action scene was hard to tell which way the characters were moving.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It was decent

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The only thing holding me back from buying this is budget T_T

Hopefully this a little more direction than Unity does; solid series, but lack of direction imo. I know Kindt is a huge Ninjak fan and it was pretty obvious in Unity that he had a better grasp of Ninjak than the other characters. Hope his work here remains solid.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

I was literally waiting for this book for over a year before it was announced.

I'm glad to say that it did meet my expectations. I liked it enough to read it twice today.

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So when can we just assume that Valiant is the best publisher?

I mean, numbers don't show it, but does quality still count?

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jonny_anonymous: Great issue. About the backup being Brubakeresque. I completely ago. Probably mostly because of Guice and the fact that it looks like those pages could be inserted into their Winter Soldier series without missing a beat.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_stegman  Moderator

Not a Valiant fan, at all, but I like ninjas, so I'll give this a read.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was amazing. Cant wait for the Ninjak vs 7 weapon leaders.

bob808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Great first issue. I even got it signed by Matt Kindt.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to read this.

But first I need to catch up with X-O Manowar.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Really felt like I got a lotta bang for my buck here. Loved both stories and thought Kindt's "Classified" belt specs on the opening page was a nice touch. Bring on issue #2.

agro4562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 57

OMG! This is the best comic of the beginning of 2015, far ahead!

VALIANT masters their subject from beginning to end! VALIANT makes comics and they does it well! The new eden for all comics lovers! Long Live VALIANT! Thanks for this Amazing masterpiece! Ninjak is in the place!!!! Youhouuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great comic. Ninjak is a bada$$ character. Everyone should read more valiant

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to hear it. I'll be reading mine Friday!

Avatar image for saiyan_earthling
    saiyan_earthling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was such a kickass read! Well worth checking out!

Kgphil01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutley loved this book!! Cannot wait until #2. Even bought a couple of the variants of this one, something I VERY rarely do!

gunswordfist_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

@gunswordfist_: Welcome to Valiant!

Difficult to answer. All the new series and first issues of this Valiant Next wave have been absolutely fantastic and it kind of depends on what genre and type of character you're interested in?

Here's a quick summary of all the current series. Valiant usually has 9 different books in production (longest running to most recently started, ongoing in bold):

• X-O Manowar -- X-O a mixture of Iron-Man, Thor, and alien featuring the most bad ass suit ever.
    • Unity -- the Justice League of Valiant, currently featuring Livewire, Ninjak, and the Eternal Warrior.
    • Rai (ongoing/bi-monthly) -- neo-samurai in and guardian of 41st century Japan; it's epic!
    • Q2: The Return of Quantum and Woody (mini) -- fun title; also a homage to the mid-1990s series. To be replaced with Ninjak.
    • The Valiant (mini) -- entirely self-contained; featuring the Eternal Warrior, Bloodshot, Armstrong, Geomancer. To be replaced with BS: Reborn.
    • Ivar, Timewalker -- If you want to make and see history follow Ivar on his journey through time and space.
    • Quantum and Woody: Must Die (mini) -- "Quantum & Woody" is a buddy comic... the anti-dynamic duo. To be replaced with Dead Drop.
    • Imperium -- the "Battle for Utopia" according to Toyo Harada, the world's most powerful psiot aka omega aka mind-controlling super freak.
    • Divinity (mini) -- totally self-contained with no connection to the rest of the Valiant Universe which --besides Matt Kindt's style of melting time, space, reality, and memories-- makes it so special really.
    • Ninjak (March) -- Imagine James Bond as a bad ass ninja.
    • Bloodshot: Reborn (April) -- Jeff Lemire's version of Bloodshot, the ultimate killing machine... if he could just remember who he was (or really is)?
    • Dead Drop (mini, May) -- four-issue mini-series and one-shots by Ales Kot. Like Divinity, and The Valiant, this can be read without any prior knowledge of the Valiant Universe and its characters.

Except for not following any Quantum & Woody (as I'm going to trade read them) all of the other series are absolutely fantastic in their own right. My favorite would be Imperium which is a continuation of Harbinger and Harbinger: Omegas.

You can still hop on the recently started series Timewalker, Imperium, Ninjak. All of Valiant's comics usually start with a brief but precise summary of what happened previously. Also, Valiant is always and quickly releasing their trades.

Last not least. Ninja-K. Finally! Once again: What a brilliant first issue! Not as strong as the other #1s of this Valiant Next wave nonetheless it's very entertaining.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By goonage

I think I might just have to check this series out.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's here!!!

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing issue! Was worth the wait.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 owie  Moderator

I definitely enjoyed it.

My one criticism is that it was occasionally hard to understand what was going on in the fight, for instance when the clip came out of her gun and then she shot it. I kind of get the impression that she was telekinetically moving the clip around or something? And was it moving towards her, into the gun, or out of the gun? It's the kind of thing where movement lines, as cheesy as they can sometimes be, really help clear up a still image.

MixMastaMicah5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunswordfist_: Welcome to Valiant!

Difficult to answer. All the new series and first issues of this Valiant Next wave have been absolutely fantastic and it kind of depends on what genre and type of character you're interested in?

Here's a quick summary of all the current series. Valiant usually has 9 different books in production (longest running to most recently started, ongoing in bold):

• X-O Manowar -- X-O a mixture of Iron-Man, Thor, and alien featuring the most bad ass suit ever.
    • Unity -- the Justice League of Valiant, currently featuring Livewire, Ninjak, and the Eternal Warrior.
    • Rai (ongoing/bi-monthly) -- neo-samurai in and guardian of 41st century Japan; it's epic!
    • Q2: The Return of Quantum and Woody (mini) -- fun title; also a homage to the mid-1990s series. To be replaced with Ninjak.
    • The Valiant (mini) -- entirely self-contained; featuring the Eternal Warrior, Bloodshot, Armstrong, Geomancer. To be replaced with BS: Reborn.
    • Ivar, Timewalker -- If you want to make and see history follow Ivar on his journey through time and space.
    • Quantum and Woody: Must Die (mini) -- "Quantum & Woody" is a buddy comic... the anti-dynamic duo. To be replaced with Dead Drop.
    • Imperium -- the "Battle for Utopia" according to Toyo Harada, the world's most powerful psiot aka omega aka mind-controlling super freak.
    • Divinity (mini) -- totally self-contained with no connection to the rest of the Valiant Universe which --besides Matt Kindt's style of melting time, space, reality, and memories-- makes it so special really.
    • Ninjak (March) -- Imagine James Bond as a bad ass ninja.
    • Bloodshot: Reborn (April) -- Jeff Lemire's version of Bloodshot, the ultimate killing machine... if he could just remember who he was (or really is)?
    • Dead Drop (mini, May) -- four-issue mini-series and one-shots by Ales Kot. Like Divinity, and The Valiant, this can be read without any prior knowledge of the Valiant Universe and its characters.

Except for not following any Quantum & Woody (as I'm going to trade read them) all of the other series are absolutely fantastic in their own right. My favorite would be Imperium which is a continuation of Harbinger and Harbinger: Omegas.

You can still hop on the recently started series Timewalker, Imperium, Ninjak. All of Valiant's comics usually start with a brief but precise summary of what happened previously. Also, Valiant is always and quickly releasing their trades.

Last not least. Ninja-K. Finally! Once again: What a brilliant first issue! Not as strong as the other #1s of this Valiant Next wave nonetheless it's very entertaining.

This haha

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@owie said:

I definitely enjoyed it.

My one criticism is that it was occasionally hard to understand what was going on in the fight, for instance when the clip came out of her gun and then she shot it. I kind of get the impression that she was telekinetically moving the clip around or something? And was it moving towards her, into the gun, or out of the gun? It's the kind of thing where movement lines, as cheesy as they can sometimes be, really help clear up a still image.

I don't think she has that power

gunswordfist_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hotdamn! Ninja Gaiden being my favorite video game makes me wanna dig into this and the fact Clay Mann is the penciler makes the deal even bigger.

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know nothing about the character but seeing Clay Mann and Butch Guice working on a book has my interest, two of my favorite pencilers.

Avatar image for bh6shouldhavehadsilversamurai
    BH6ShouldHavehadSilverSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Does anyone know how much this costs? I might pick it up if its only like 3 bucks

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: i keep saying that. But idk if i ever will.Dc and Marvel have too much good stuff right now. Other than archer and armstrong, i love that title.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This issue was (is) simply perfect. Everything about it was done with sheer epic know how of a comic done right, especially a first issue.

Valiant is just incredible, and this book pretty much seals it for me as the comics publisher I love most. Well done!

Does anyone know how much this costs? I might pick it up if its only like 3 bucks

$3.99

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow this was really good, and the second (side?) story was even better. Definitely getting the second book, too bad it only comes out in April. Very good writing so far, especially in the second story. Very, very pleased overall.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.