gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

I've probably said it before but it's great having Nightwing in Chicago. As great as it is having characters in such a vast comic book universe, sometimes seeing a character simply be able to do their own thing is wonderful. Kyle Higgins is fleshing out this little corner of the New 52 Universe and the action is non-stop.

Higgins has Nightwing pretty busy on his mission to get to Tony Zucco as well as the continued deadly escapades of the new Prankster. We're also seeing more of the supporting characters fleshed out which further adds to the feeling that this is happening in its own little corner of the DCU.

We also see some follow up on a character that hasn't been seen since Dick left for Chicago. This was a welcomed subplot and it's going to be interesting to see more.

Will Conrad's art captures the frantic action and you can feel the thrill Dick has as he's going through Prankster's goons. Andrew Dalhouse's colors adds to the art as well almost giving it a more realistic feel.

The Bad

This is where I sort of contradict myself a tiny bit. While it is great seeing Nightwing operate on his own without any outside interference, you would think Prankster's escalating attacks would attract the attention of others with power. It could just be because the mayor and city is anti-capes and wouldn't try to put out the call for help. Amanda Waller's JLA is likely more than busy with Trinity War going on.

With the word of Tony Zucco getting out, the fact that the news singles out the death of the Flying Graysons and mentions Dick over all the other victims felt too close to home. The Graysons may have been a really high profile act so that could be the explanation but now it makes it a big coincidence that both Dick and Nightwing are in Chicago.

The Verdict

Nightwing's adventures in Chicago continue and the action is becoming more explosive. Kyle Higgins is claiming Chicago as his own playground for Nightwing and the art by Will Conrad and colors by Andrew Dalhouse are making it all a great trip. There are a couple moments things escalate a bit too much but there's no denying how much of a blast this series has become. We essentially have a "Batman" family book that can easily stand on its own with a distinct feel to it. This series makes me happy to be a Nightwing fan.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This has been a great arc so far!! Cant wait for the conclusion.

Avatar image for nightwing_beyond
    Nightwing_Beyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Great review Tony, I'm really digging Kyle's direction with the book too! What made this issue for me was the Tony Zucco scene with his wife. I felt that so many spousal arguements in comics turn out to be mindless yelling when in real life, they are also discussions filled with feelings of disappointment and shame instead of just rage. Kyle also made me feel invested in Zucco's character for the very first time.

I go into further detail in my user review below so anyone who's interested feel free to discuss and leave your opinion:)

http://www.comicvine.com/nightwing-23-world-turned-upside-down/4000-421654/user-reviews/2200-38461

soumya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This week,I actually liked Nightwing's issue better than Batman's "Zero Year".Don't get me wrong.Both are good,...but this better.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh..

ghost_knife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I constantly think nightwing in particular works best as an isolated hero fighting corruption, and lower powered villains in a smaller city. It's sorta what marvel is doing with venom and failing (well not failing just boring). Its what made his old series in bludhaven and new york so enjoyable. And not that I didn't love the stopping in at the batcave every now and then, but Higgins did a great thing pulling him out of gotham

4th_wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved this issue!!! It felt great to finally see Dick's sense of humor again. It feels like it's been a long time since that happened. I actually had a pretty good laugh after the rescue scene at the Hancock building. There were a few other good one-liners interspersed throughout the book. The scene between Zucco and his wife is heart-wrenching and the payoff from it is not to be missed.

It's so great that Prankster is shaping up to be a genuine Nightwing villain. He has very few of these to begin with and now that Lady Vic is most likely going to be a Batwing villain, he has one fewer. His design (thank you, Brett Booth!) and his personality are just fantastic.

Higgins continues to do a bang-up job with the words and while I'm still sorry to see Brett Booth make such a quick exit from the book, Will Conrad is doing a pretty good job since taking the reins. I can't wait to see the work he'll put in once he's been on the book for a while and really gets comfortable with the characters. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed by the change last issue, but if he can improve so much so quickly, the art is in good hands.

I also have to say that, while I'm enjoying the current consistency with regards to Dick's costume, I really hope he decides to make some concessions and grab some of that Wayne family money soon. We can't have the heir apparent to the Batman mantle looking too shabby for too long. Plus, let's face facts. The kinds of gadgets that the entire Bat-family uses cost some serious dough and since Dick doesn't currently have any money, he's either got to get a serious 9 to 5 or pull in some of that adopted family fortune.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.