Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Spoilers ahead...

The Good

The Chicago PD, who don't take too kindly to masked men, but Nightwing and Prankster need each other's help in order to escape. In addition, Prankster knows where to find Tony Zucco.

Man, I love the opening to this issue. There was one problem with it (see below), but I love the set-up of this character [Slipstream]. It's a cool introduction to what Chicago was like a few years back, when there actually were a few "capes" running around, which ends with this very sad but fantastic scene.

This issue didn't have as big as an impact on me as issue #20 did, but it's still a great read. I love seeing Nightwing do his detective work and come closer and closer to his goal. That's something that writer Kyle Higgins hits right on the head, the detective aspect of this book. Sometimes, you have to work with your enemy to solve the mystery. Sometimes, you have to seem like you're letting your guard down. We've seen a lot of great development with Nightwing and Dick Grayson, as characters, since Higgins rebooted the book. As a long time Nightwing fan, I couldn't be happier with what Higgins is doing with this character.

Maybe I'm over-analyzing here, but we get to see a darker and creepier side to Dick Grayson in this issue. Towards the end of NIGHTWING #21, after Dick finds out where Tony Zucco is located, he breaks into his house to confront him, but Zucco is gone. Dick isn't very stealth-like here. He's looking for a confrontation. He's looking for vengeance. Again, maybe I'm looking way too into this, but this looks like a mission in which Dick won't be able to hold back on. I think this is an a fantastic development. I love seeing a darker side to this character.

Sorry, no epic butt shots by Brett Booth in this issue. However, this art team of Booth (pencils), Norm Rapmund (inks), and Andrew Dalhouse (colors) puts together an insanely beautiful comic. It's consistently great from start to finish. If only Brett Booth was on this book forever. His work, on the past few issues, has been the best work on Nightwing, ever. That's right. The best artist to ever work on NIGHTWING (including Pre-52 issues) is working on it right now.

The Bad

I feel like I'm missing something. I loved the opening to this issue, but I don't see the connection to everything else here. If it serves nothing more than to show that Chicago tried to do the whole "super-heroes" thing and failed, that's fine, but this feels bigger than that.

The Verdict

Another awesome issue of NIGHTWING. This series, especially since Nightwing went on his own to Chicago, is one of my favorite super-hero books. The writing and art are top notch and this story is incredibly appealing to NIGHTWING readers new and old. While this issue didn't grab me as much as the last issue, I'm still loving the direction. I loved the fact that this decades old character continues to develop and become deeper, as he hunts down his parent's killer. This is a must have series and issue.

Overall, I highly recommend this issue.

Ghidoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Damn, DC's been killing it this week?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

it's really going to suck not having Booth on the book anymore...he was perfect on this

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

I like the new Nightwing writer and the way he's taken the book. The art is great too it's almost Jim Lee level.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By danhimself

I like the new Nightwing writer and the way he's taken the book. The art is great too it's almost Jim Lee level.

ummm there is no new writer on Nightwing....Higgins has been writing the book since the start of the series

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: Seriously? I feel like a noob now I've been reading it since it started and I was thinking a new writer did these ones lol.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: Seriously? I feel like a noob now I've been reading it since it started and I was thinking a new writer did these ones lol.

yup...but to be fair it really does feel like someone else has been writing it these past few issues...Higgins has really stepped it up these past few issues

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultrastarkiller said:

yup...but to be fair it really does feel like someone else has been writing it these past few issues...Higgins has really stepped it up these past few issues

Ya he has and I like it.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

This week's DC comics were great!

Nightwing has picked it up and has been awesome as of late and this issue is no exception.

Crazy_Wilhelm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These have gotten loads better. Great stuff, I'm glad Nightwing gets books worthy of his legacy and importance to the Batstory again.

czechoslovakia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought too many books today already but I'll be sure to pick this one up next week

czechoslovakia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still behind on this book, though. Last i read was 18

SuperJedi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#13 inferiorego  Staff

@ultrastarkiller said:

Completely agree. His first couple arcs were ok, but since stepping away from Gotham and the Bat tie-ins, this book has become amazing

Dark Cloud™

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dark Cloud™

I'll pick up some NW comics.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Alak

@ultrastarkiller said:

I agree that it does have a different feel to it. Maybe Higgins isn't tied down to Batman events now that Nightwing is out on his own again. The whole Chicago arc feels a lot more high-spirited and full of energy compared to the Gotham run. Dick also acts more like his pre-52 counterpart which is a major plus.

Omegus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Omegus

Great review. I was surprised how well Higgins has been doing with Nightwing. More and more Dick is becoming a great fit in Chicago. This is really giving him his own leg to stand on without that feeling like Bruce is near by. Also Higgins did a great job bringing back Prankster for a new generation. Higgins keep up the great work.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Trodorne

@omegus said:

Great review. I was surprised how well Higgins has been doing with Nightwing. More and more Dick is becoming a great fit in Chicago. This is really giving him his own leg to stand on without that feeling like Bruce is near by. Also Higgins did a great job bringing back Prankster for a new generation. Higgins keep up the great work.

This..

Also happy birthday Kyle Higgins today.

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
    Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a trade waiter, I was a bit meh about the first arc of Higgins Nightwing. I was going to drop the book, but I hear so much great stuff about the newer issues that I think I will stay on for a while longer. At least until I see Nightwing in chicago.

Avatar image for nightwing_beyond
    Nightwing_Beyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

It was Kyle Higgins' birthday the day this came out. Instead of us giving him a gift, he gave us one...

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultrastarkiller said:

Actually Higgins took a brief break from issues 0, 13, and 14 (which happens to be less than stellar)

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By detective38

Great issue although I think the idea of bringing the man that NW is after "back from the dead" is a little bit cheap it has been a great story arc so far

XSpectreGreyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By XSpectreGreyX

I like this issue, if only because it's a lot more fun than the previous issues. Dick's being happy again, which I think is a key part to his character. Booth's art always has a fun atmosphere around it, so he's a good choice, and I like how he draws Dick's hair less wavy and flowing in comparison to last issue.

A good issue and hopefully, his new supporting cast stick around, because they have potential. Oh, and calling it now, his female roommate is gonna end up sleeping with him.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.